THE VILLAGE CHURCH OF BARRINGTON
DIRECTOR OF WORSHIP
A. Philosophy and Essentials of Ministry
At Village Church of Barrington, we strongly believe that God is worthy of worship by all (Isa. 6:1-5; Rev. 15:4). While we believe that worship is the activity of glorifying God with every aspect of our existence (Rom. 12:1), we recognize the importance
of doing so regularly through our voices and hearts (Ps. 95:1-7; Col. 3:16). For this reason, the Village Church of Barrington Director of Worship Ministries will oversee those aspects of ministry that initiate, develop, and expand the worship of our God.
B. General Responsibilities
The Director of Worship’s primary responsibilities will be to plan, lead, and direct the worship service for the Saturday Night Service/Sunday Morning Alternative Service and to be the worship leader back-up for other ministries of the church. This position
will include general shepherding and pastoral care of those who attend the Sunday Alternative Services.
C. Staff Relationships
The Director of Worship shall be called by the Senior Pastor and affirming vote of the Church Elder Board. VCB places high value on a collaborative workplace, and this individual must work well within the current team environment.
- Regular attendance and active participation at all staff meetings.
- Effective Communication, both written and verbal, in a variety of settings.
- Non-voting participant at the church board meetings when attendance is requested.
- Accountable to the Associate Senior Pastor.
- Plan, rehearse, conduct, and direct the worship service on Saturday nights and the Gym Service on Sunday mornings
- Act as worship leader for Club ROCK, Sunday morning services and other ministries as needed
- Assist the Worship Pastor in planning and implementing the strategic objectives for the worship and music ministry
- General shepherding and pastoral care of those who attend the Saturday Night Service.
- Recruit, train, motivate and shepherd the people involved in the worship, music, drama, and support ministries
- Play lead or acoustic guitar at special events, as determined by the Worship Pastor (Christmas in the Village, Good Friday, etc.)
Other responsibilities as assigned by the Worship Pastor and Senior Pastor
- Clear, articulate faith in Christ.
- Meet the spiritual qualifications of a Deacon.
- Strong knowledge of the Bible and the ability to teach others.
- Spiritual gifts of Shepherding (administration, mercy, evangelism, and/or teaching) desired.
- Formal music training and ability to lead and direct band; ability to lead congregation in worship
F. Additional Considerations
- A work week of approximately 40-45 hours shall be established for this position, including the hours required on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Compensatory time for short term deviations from normal work hours may be taken at the Associate Senior or Senior Pastors’ discretion. All such adjustments should be arranged with the Associate Senior Pastor.
- The church will provide work space appropriate to the job, with necessary office equipment. Normal expenses for materials and travel will be reimbursed from Pastoral Expenses, as approved by the Associate Senior Pastor. Administrative staff assistance
is provided as necessary.