Reports To: Pastor of Faith Formation
FLSA Status: Salaried | Exempt
The Family Pastor is a member of the pastoral team and staff leadership team and is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the family-related ministries of Morning Star Church. This person, working in concert with others, will cast vision
and develop strategies for advancing spiritual development and growth among families - including children, students, college-age adults as well as parents and grandparents. Incumbent will be a leader of leaders who is committed to, and supports, the philosophy
and mission of Morning Star Church and its leadership team.
This person must be a servant leader and team player who is called to full-time family ministry. They will be authentic, collaborative, compassionate, relationally-driven, empowering, an effective teacher, creative thinker and able to partner with staff
and families to create effective opportunities for faith exploration and development. This person will demonstrate a biblical worldview, Christian lifestyle and mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES (included but not limited to:)
- Ensure a safe and exciting environment for families to learn and develop spiritually.
- Establish, monitor and maintain safe and appropriate boundaries between children, students, volunteers, other adults, staff and themselves.
- Promote and foster cross-generational interaction, engagement and community.
- Develop and champion efforts to equip parents and grandparents for leading godly families through classes, events, educational resources and mentoring.
- Develop and implement strategies to deepen the personal devotional life of families.
- Champion and integrate family ministry initiatives with other ministry areas of the church.
- Provide spiritual counseling to students, college-age individuals, parents, grandparents and guardians as appropriate.
- Partner with staff to teach families about baptism, Holy Communion and generosity.
- Lead and direct the college-age ministries of Morning Star Church.
- Provide oversight, support and supervision to Children’s Ministry staff (Director of Early Childhood Ministry, Director of Elementary Ministry and Family Ministry Coordinator) and related ministries.
- Provide oversight, support and supervision to Student Ministry staff (Director of Student Faith Formation and Director of Student Community and Outreach) and related ministries.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the MSC Boy Scouts chapter.
- Partner with Children and Student Ministry staff to develop and implement volunteer recruitment, retention and training strategies.
- Ensure frequent, accurate and effective Family Ministry communications are reaching families, volunteers, staff and other stakeholders.
- Foster strong working relationships with the MSC’s ministry staff and coordinate with them on systems, procedures, policies and vision to ensure consistency and alignment between and within MSC ministries.
- Effectively fulfill duties of MSC Pastoral Staff member as assigned (e.g. Pastor on Call, Worship Host, Funerals, Staff Devotions, Hospital Visits, etc.).
- Other duties may be assigned by the Pastor of Faith Formation as needed to enhance the performance of this position or to support the ministry of Morning Star Church.
SKILLS AND TALENTS
- The successful candidate must be a Fully Devoted Christ-follower and fully support the ministry of Morning Star Church and its leadership team. This individual’s commitment to Christ will be evidenced in his/her personal life, family relationships, and
ministry. His/her daily walk with God will be an example to others with which he/she interacts. They will value a healthy balance between ministry and family life.
- The ideal candidate will be creative, humble, have a passion and heartfelt concern for spiritual growth and development within families, be high energy, hardworking, and possess the ability to work independently as well as in team environments.
- Must possess solid time management skills and organizational abilities. Must have the ability to coordinate several activities at once and quickly analyze and resolve specific problems.
- The successful candidate must agree to live by the Morning Star Church staff covenant.
- Must be comfortable and able to communicate effectively, in both small and large group environments.
- Proficient (or fast learner) in use of current and future communication tools, i.e. cell phones, internet, social networks, texting, blogging, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in family, education, student ministry (or equivalent experience).
- Master’s degree in family, youth or divinity preferred.
- Experience leading a similar ministry in a large church environment preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS | WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. It is a nonsmoking environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general rule of this job and the level of work performed by employees in this position. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves
or other employees.
The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties required
by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Visit mscwired.org/employment. No phone calls please.