IMPORTANT: Please only send resume/applications via churchstaffing.com or to the search committee chair at email@example.com. Please do not email or contact the Lead Pastor as these applications will not be viewed or processed. Thank you.
Over the last couple of years, the elders of RCC have become increasingly aware of the need to add an Executive Pastor to our staff, as the Lead Pastor has been spending more and more time outside his primary gifts and calling, engaged more and more in problem-solving with the elders or staff and less and less in doing the things he is called and gifted to do – cast vision, preach effectively, and keep the organization headed in the right direction under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The upshot is that the elders have approved a job description for an Executive Pastor and have set in motion a search process. The elders have created this staff leadership position to provide increased energy, oversight, and day-to-day direction to the operational aspects of the church, thereby enhancing the various ministries of the church and strengthening the distinctive contributions of each staff person.
The elders themselves are functioning as the search committee; the reason for this unusual approach to the hiring process is the unique and critical role of the Executive Pastor in relation to the staff. The primary function of the Executive Pastor (XP) will be equipping, directing and developing staff, supporting them and being a resource to them for the work of ministry and for the edifying or building up of the body of Christ (Ephesians 4). Hiring the right person for this position is critical—it will significantly impact the health of our staff and the growth of the church.
The Lead Pastor serves as the chief spiritual leader for the church and focuses on leading, teaching, and with the other elders, developing and trumpeting the vision for the church. The Executive Pastor position is similar to that of “chief operating officer” in the corporate environment, responsible for effectively implementing the vision. The XP sees that these things get done and that communication, congruence and attentiveness to the vision prevail in the process. The Lead Pastor is freed by the Executive Pastor to focus more purposefully on the primary roles for which he has been gifted.
River City Church (www.rccjax.com)
RCC has four main pillars. These specific pillars are central to the heart of the church and we live out these core values through the power of the Holy Spirit in relationship with those around us.
- Experiencing God in relationship as Father. The more we pursue and enjoy an intimate and loving relationship with God, the more we will become who God has created us to be.
- Living in His power. We are a charismatic church, and believe in the “gifts of the Spirit”, actively pursuing them individually & corporately. God is living and active in our lives. He brings new life, healing, and restoration to us, so that we can be empowered to love and minister to others.
- Loving the poor and hurting in our city. We believe that God is about restoring hearts as well as lives, and we are committed to seeing him bring tangible change in Jacksonville and beyond.
- Evangelism. We want to love people like Jesus loves them — regardless of age, race, gender, or what they’ve done or haven’t done.
Position Description: The Executive Pastor of River City Church is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the church’s mission and vision. As such, the XP is the staff leader chiefly responsible for the stability of the organizational side of the church—strategy, management, finances and so on, and that the operational elements of the church are efficiently and effectively managed.
The XP is also charged with the health and unity of the members of the staff. The XP must seek to empower and equip the staff, maximizing the use of their individual gifts to advance the overall vision and mission of the church and the Kingdom of God.
The position is full time and salaried based upon forty (40) hours per week. The position requires flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. It is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year; the actual number of hours required during any given week will vary as needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
The XP reports to the church elders and serves in partnership with and under the guidance of the Lead Pastor.
- Ensure that all staff members have a clear understanding of their duties and job assignments, structured to maximize their skills, gifts and talents
- Develop a consistent approach to the professional development and training of staff – individually and collectively
- Develop practices and provide resources that help staff members function effectively
- Facilitate staff operations meetings
- Ensure that effective communication occurs within the staff and with the Elders
Strategic Planning / Implementation
- Collaborate with the Church Leader, Elders, and staff in establishing strategic direction (vision)
- Align staff and leadership teams with the mission objectives established by the Elders, ensuring that the systems, practices, activities and policies of the church responsibly and effectively carry out those objectives.
- Work with staff to effectively implement strategic priorities
Financial Management / Human Resources
- Oversee necessary financial policies and procedures
- Manage the preparation and approval of the annual budget
- Review employee benefit plans and other insurance coverages annually
- Administer HR policies
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES (based on skills and staffing needs)
- Assist the Church Leader and other staff in development and implementation of special projects and initiatives, both church-wide or within a specific ministry area
- Perform various pastoral duties including leading worship services and teaching as assigned
- If ordained, perform funerals, weddings, and baptisms as needed
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Mature, growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- Understands and advocates the identity and particular mission of River City Church
- Strong administrative giftedness with good verbal and written skills
- Ability to work independently and also with a team
- Capacity to think biblically, creatively, and critically to help the church be as effective as possible
- Capability to turn ideas into action plans and implementation
- Ability to listen to, encourage, admonish, and give trusted guidance to staff and volunteers
- Ability to handle tension-filled decisions and situations with care, grace, and insight.
- Displays discretion, perseverance, humility, patience and a sense of humor
- Champions teamwork and a supportive work atmosphere
- Five or more years of executive experience, ideally with a mix of both business and church.
- A proven track record of leading teams and growing organizations
- Bachelor’s degree required
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Starting Salary: negotiable, depending on experience and qualifications
- Health Insurance: 100% of employee cost and 50% of dependent cost
- Dental/Vision Insurance: 50% of employee and dependent costs
- Vacation: 20 days annually (may include up to four Sundays)
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Senior PastorFirst Baptist Dexter
- Dexter, Missouri
- January 19
Executive PastorArchbold Evangelical Church
- Archbold, Ohio
- January 19
Executive PastorThe Worship Place
- Georgetown, Texas
- January 17
Executive Director of OperationsVictory Church
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- January 10
Faith Church - Executive Pastor of MinistriesVanderbloemen Search Group
- Sunset Hills, Missouri
- January 6
River City Church
River City Church, or “RCC” as we often call ourselves, is made up of people who love God and experience Him every day. We know He is alive today; living and real. Because of His love for us and this world, we seek to share His love with the poor, broken and hurting. Everybody is welcome here.
RCC has four main pillars:
• Experiencing God in relationship. The more we pursue and enjoy an intimate and loving relationship with God, the more we will become who God has created us to be.