Worship and Connection Pastor Description
Newport Covenant Church is launching into a three year vision based on our newly defined mission to "Love People to New Life in Jesus Christ." The three main goals of this vision include:
1. “Plant” two worship services that are diverse in worship expressions to address the needs of the churched and the unchurched of our community.
2. Reorganize what we do as a church in order to create many and varied meaningful, Jesus-centered relationships with the families of our community.
3. Restructure our leadership, both paid and volunteer, to most effectively fulfill our new mission statement and reach our goals for the next 3 years.
We are looking for a worship pastor to be a part of a three-pastor "executive team" including the Lead pastor, Adam Anderson, and the Families pastor, Amy Jayne, and the Worship pastor. This team of pastors will work along side the Elder Board and Ministry Team Leaders to create a culture in our church of loving people to new life in Jesus Christ. While each pastor has a specific area of expertise and ministry within the church, they all share responsibility for the "core processes" of a healthy church: Inviting, Connecting, Transforming and Sending. The Worship pastor will take the lead in the Connecting processes of our church. (Adopted from: "Effective Staffing for Vital Churches," Bill Easum and Bill Tenny-Brittian).
Starting on February 21, 2016, we will be going from one, blended style service to two intentionally diverse services. Both services will equally keep the unchurched visitor in mind, but will approach the mission of loving people to new life in Jesus Christ from different angles. One service will have a "church" feel to it, bringing to life the traditions, liturgies, readings and responses through a neo-liturgical style. The second service will have an "auditorium" feel to it, bringing the same biblical message to those who do not relate to church traditions and are looking for an experience that more closely matches their own "real world" culture. The Connecting pastor will facilitate a process that meets the needs of both worship communities.
As the Worship leader, this pastor is ultimately responsible for preparing those on stage to represent God so fully that the congregation connects with God.
- Maintain a growing, spiritually mature relationship with Jesus Christ. Enjoy the presence of God often. Be committed to practicing new life in Jesus Christ.
- Spend time developing relationships with non- Christians both to advance the kingdom as well as to understand the community well enough to design worship to connect with it. This is “Job One” of every staff person. Do everything with the unchurched in mind.
- Build the necessary teams to produce worship that brings people into the presence of God. Gathering musicians and taking them deeper into their faith and ability to lead worship is this person’s main task.
- Plan the corporate worship services in consultation with the lead pastor. Create, cooperate, collaborate.
- Coordinate the musical, technical and staging aspects of the service with the theme of the day.
- Oversee song and choral selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and lighting enhancements, and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and dramatists.
- Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate worship in services.
- Provide pastoral care for the worship teams and choirs.
- Oversee the worship department budget, organization, and equipment.
- Be a scout for future musicians to continue developing our teams or to prepare additional teams for a new service or site.
As the Connect leader, this pastor is ultimately responsible for all the processes, programs, and practices of the "Retain Them" core process. This includes hospitality, worship, follow- up, and any other activity that facilitates the integration/assimilation of a guest into the congregation.
- Coordinates connecting ministries, programs, and processes.
- Ensures the congregational hospitality is exceptionally welcoming.
- Ensures every worship service not only has guests in mind, but has been planned and executed to resonate with their spirits.
- Sets up an integration/assimilation system that moves people from the marketplace to participation in the church.
- Arranges for a response within twenty- four hours to every first- time visitor who signs in, and ensures the follow- up procedures are both practiced and effective.
- Puts into place a tracking system for every guest from their first visit through their handoff to discipleship.
This position is designed for someone who is a natural leader. As a part of the executive pastors team, this person's primary role is to inspire, recruit, equip and send others into ministry.
Traits of a leader:
- Profess Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Agree to the affirmations of the Evangelical Covenant Church: http://www.covchurch.org/who-we-are/beliefs/affirmations/
- Committed to the vision, mission, and core values of Newport Covenant Church and the Evangelical Covenant Church.
- Have pastoral credentials in the Evangelical Covenant Church or be willing to earn them within the first two years of employment by Newport Covenant Church. See http://www.covchurch.org/vocational-ministry/
- Have a track record of reaching those who don’t yet know Christ and assisting believers in reaching the community through worship arts or other means.
- Reports to the Lead Pastor.
- Works closely with other pastoral staff.
- Hired musicians report directly to this position.
Experience and Education
- Have experience leading worship in a medium to large church or venues.
- Have experience and/or training in overseeing connecting ministries.
- Have experience and/or training in team leadership and/or small group facilitation.
- Experience in choral conducting, audio and video production preferred.
- Have a wide range of musical talent, appreciation and/or education (classical to alternative rock).
- M.Div. or equivalent preferred.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Campus Worship LeaderCalvary Chapel Church
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- December 5
Teen & Worship PastorCalvary Baptist Church
- Norwich, New York
- December 5
Worship PastorBridgeway Community Church
- York, Pennsylvania
- December 5
Director of WorshipTrinity Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Florence, South Carolina
- December 5
Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church of Slidell
- Slidell, Louisiana
- December 2