Located in East Contra Costa County, California, Golden Hills Community Church is a larger church (3500 attendance) with many ministry arms. For 20 years we have operated our Comminity Outreach Center which aims to reach the homeless and lowest income residents
of our local community. This is a care and compassion ministry with intentional goals of breaking generational/individual cycles in people's lives and ultimately tranforming a community through evangelism and discipleship. Below is the job description and
qualifications. We are seeking an individual with a heart for this type of ministry as well as significant experience in the field.
Golden Hills Community Church
Community Outreach Assistant Pastor
To assist in the fulfillment of the Great Commission and the purpose of Golden Hills Community Church by assisting the Community Outreach Pastor in all aspects of ministry and, where appropriate, sharing their ministry responsibilities as broadly defined
The Assistant Community Outreach Pastor will be required to provide leadership and/or guidance in specific areas of ministry that merit their direct involvement. These priority areas will be determined together with the Community Outreach Pastor and his
supervisor. Currently these include the Resource & Referral Ministry and Training.
Working in conjunction with the Pastor of the Community Outreach Center, the Assistant Pastor will be assigned leadership responsibilities within the following ministry areas.
- Ministry Development – Development and articulation of the vision and organizing strategies for achieving the COC purpose and outcomes.
- Staff Development – Recruitment, orientation, & training of lay-ministry teams. Providing supervision, guiding strategic goal setting and evaluation. Model a life of prayer, commitment to God’s word and maintaining the Christ centered focus of the staff.
- Ministry Education - Keep current with issues and trends pertinent to the associated ministries and local demographics. Prayerfully guide change processes in consultation with the Global Outreach Pastor (see line of reporting).
- Pastoral Care – Responsible for ensuring that staff and guests receive an appropriate level of pastoral care and oversight. Ensure that discipleship, teaching, training etc is consistent with sound theology and GHCC’s statement of faith.
- Administration - Oversee all aspects of administration and budget associated with the function and purposes of the Community Outreach Center and associated ministries and staff.
- Ministry Functions – Participation in regular ministry and pastoral care duties related to your community such as weddings, pre-marital, marital, and other counseling, baptisms, child dedications, hospital and crisis care, funerals and memorials.
Each staff person at Golden Hills may be asked to direct, carry out or assist in other duties as deemed necessary and as assigned by the Senior Pastor or their Supervisor.
COC Assistant Pastor will report directly to the Pastor of the Community Outreach Center.
This person will supervise other COC employees and volunteers.
The ideal candidate for the Assistant Pastor of the Community Outreach Center will have these qualifications:
- Theological degree (preferred but not essential).
- A firm grasp of the major themes of scripture and in agreement with GHCC’s statement of faith.
- A pastor’s heart for people especially those caught in unhealthy cycles that are symptomatic of deeper issues.
- Understanding and ability to teach the principles of relief, rehabilitation and development and how they relate to discipleship, restoration of relationships and the proclamation of God’s glory to the nations.
- A heart for discipleship as defined by GHCC Purpose and Process statements.
- A global missional perspective.
- A proven track record of effective leadership and training of others.
- Sound computer skills and competent in word processing, e-mail and familiarity with the use of social media, databases, worldwide web, etc.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to preach and teach publicly.
- Excellent people skills and an ability to facilitate and equip others involved in team ministry.
- A clear understanding of budgets and accounting.
In addition to having pastoral experience, candidates must have had significant experience in Christ-centered, holistic community outreach ministries that have similar objectives to our own. Although not essential, cross-cultural ministry experience would
All ministry personnel of Golden Hills Community Church are called to live their lives individually, familiarly and ecclesiastically in a manner glorifying to Christ and pleasing to God.