Job Title: Director of Castleton United Methodist Nursery School (CUMNS)
Department: Preschool Ministries
Reports To: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing leadership, training and direction for the preschool ministry programs and activities at CUMNS on the campus of Castleton United Methodist Church (CUMC). This individual should demonstrate
a knowledge of and commitment to early childhood development education; this individual should view this position as a “ministry” and be committed to promoting the spiritual development of children and families.
All employees at CUMC are expected to model the Church’s mission.
The mission of Castleton United Methodist Church is “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
All employees should have a commitment to diversity and to enabling our community to reflect the diversity of our community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following and other duties as assigned:
- Participate in prayer, devotions and Bible study. Provides spiritual guidance to children, families and staff on an individual basis and makes referrals to other resources as necessary.
- Oversees preschool and childcare programs (ie. day-to-day operations, curriculum, summer offerings, etc.) in collaboration with the Director of Operations and CUMNS Program Director.
- Develops and maintains the budget (ie. revenue, tuition rates, expenses, etc.) in collaboration with the Director of Operations and CUMC Leadership Team. Manages all financial accounts and prepares reports as needed.
- Hires, manages, supervise and disciplines teachers and staff, in collaboration with the Program Director and Director of Operations. Oversees teacher development through training and continuing education opportunities.
- Assists teachers as needed with classroom management, parent involvement and areas of concern as needed.
- Works with teachers in planning and equipping space. Keeps inventory of equipment and supplies, replacing and/or repairing as needed. Coordinates use of shared space with CUMC Director of Children’s Ministries and other CUMC programs and activities.
- Writes and distributes the parent handbook to familiarize them with the policies and customs of the program.
- Plans and conducts all staff meetings.
- Works with the staff and PTO to plan and publicize student and parent orientation events, family nights, special school activities and year-end events.
- Uses current technology to communicate with children and their families in a healthy, appropriate and meaningful manner.
- Plans and publicizes the yearly calendar, coordinating with local public and private schools, Church activities and community events.
- Assist with all parent communications (publicity, registration, enrollment, contracts, newsletters, summer programs, fundraisers, etc.)
- Maintains current Christian program philosophy, NAEYC standards, Paths of Quality and Conscious Discipline classroom management program, while developing new and creative ways to enhance the school and programs.
- Coordinates accreditation and reporting requirements with the National Association and Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Maintains child safety and protection policies and compliance with the State Board of Health regulations.
- Communicates on behalf of CUMNS Kids by reporting updates and/or issues to the Director of Operations, CUMC Administrative Staff and CUMC Leadership Team.
- Participates in church staff meetings; participates in school staff meetings, retreats and other staff activities as appropriate.
- Researches opportunities to write and writes proposals for grants that aid the preschool in carrying out its mission.
- Collaborates with the Family Ministry Team on ways to connect preschool families with the Church family.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises staff employees and volunteers who work within the Preschool Ministries area. Incumbent carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
In addition to those responsibilities listed in item 4 above, incumbent plans, assigns and directs work; schedules and approves time worked; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility according to the requirements of CUMC. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill
and/or ability required.
For More Information about this position, please Click Here. - http://castletonumc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/CUMNS-Kids-Director-Job-Description-07152015-online-post-1.pdf