Bethel Christian Church
Job Title: Pastor/Lead Elder
Employment Status: Full time
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bethel is seeking a Pastor/Lead Elder who will encourage and equip God’s people to glorify God by growing in personal and corporate faith, and by doing the works of the ministry in Christ’s church that God has prepared in advance (John 6:29; Galatians 5:6;
Ephesians 2:10, 4:12-16). The Pastor/Lead Elder will share with the Bethel Board of Elders spiritual and practical oversight of the Church, together providing a Godly example in word and deed to the flock of God (1 Peter 5:2-3). The Pastor/Lead Elder will
be responsible to lead and train paid ministerial staff and lay ministry leaders that they may be able to lead and train others (2 Timothy 1:6, 13-14; 2:1-2). The Pastor/Lead Elder will lead the Bethel congregation in advancing the Kingdom of God in effective
outreach designed to meet both the physical and spiritual needs of, first and foremost, those in the immediate vicinity of the church and then of the surrounding communities (Isaiah 58:6-8; Acts 1:8; Galatians 2:10; Matthew 28:18-20).
- Seeks the Lord with Bethel leadership to continually confirm or revise the mission and vision statements of the church and to develop strategies to fulfill the mission and vision of the church.
- Regularly shares the vision with the church.
- Works with church leaders to develop church and departmental goals.
- Attends church board meetings and presents programs and initiatives he believes will promote the mission and vision of the church.
- Provides individual leadership and oversight of paid ministerial staff, and acts as the principal liaison between paid ministry staff and the Elders.
- Serves on the budget committee and works with staff regarding the preparation of the annual operating budget to support church strategy.
- Prepares and delivers sermons at weekly church services; leads the Church in prayer meetings and Holy Communion at regular, pre-determined intervals.
- Performs baptisms, marriages, memorial services, and other public ministry duties associated with the functions of a Christian Church.
- Supports and equips lay ministry leaders by insuring that leadership and oversight is provided to each ministry.
- Represents the church to the community and at community outreach events.
- Disciples one-on-one with staff, pastors, and ministry leaders so that they may subsequently teach others to effectively disciple the church body.
- Demonstrates a consistent prayer life through willingness to pray with the Board of Council (Elders and Deacons) seeking the Lord’s will and waiting upon Him in making decisions necessary to the life of the church. Acts 6:2–4, 1 Peter 5:1-4
The successful candidate for this position will possess the following qualifications:
- Ordained minister in a nationally recognized, evangelical organization.
- Five (5) or more years as lead or senior pastor in a church of at least 100 members.
- Experience leading a non-denominational church having a membership characterized by significant diversity in theological traditions, doctrinal views and liturgical expectations.
- Experience leading a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-generational church.
- Experience in two or more of the following: a.Building and equipping youth/young adult programs.
b.Building and equipping family-based ministries c.Ministry in and growing an urban church
d.Developing/overseeing home groups e.Serving as a missionary or leading a church missions program
f. Building and managing administrative staff
- Bachelor’s degree (at a minimum) in religion or a field related to the requirements of this position.
- Proven record of strong gifting and skills in leadership.
- A good communicator and teacher/preacher with the ability to make God's Word relevant.
- Approachable, and easily connects with congregation in social settings which may include both his own home and in the home of others.
The following qualifications are not required but are considered to be a plus:
- Experience in an elder-led church and or as a lead elder.
- Seminary training.
- Private sector work experience.
Ministry Staff Opening:
Upon being hired, in concert with the Board of Elders, the Pastor/Lead Elder will have the opportunity to designate the portfolio of one staff position to be immediately hired by the church.
To see the Bethel Statement of Faith go to: http://www.bethelsf.org/#/about-us/our-beliefs
Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com