Mount Olive Baptist Church, Arlington, VA is seeking experienced Custodian/Janitorial support. This is a part-time hourly position averaging 10 - 15 hours per week, which does not offer benefits. Multiple positions are currently available. The successful
candidate will be self-motivated with professional demeanor and presence, positive attitude, strong work ethic, and excellent verbal communication and inter-personal skills. The successful candidates must have commercial cleaning experience and knowledge
of cleaning methods, materials and appropriate equipment for a variety of cleaning projects. The successful candidates must show attention to detail and be able to work with others to foster an environment of teamwork. This person must be able to work independently
and as part of a team. They must be flexible, responsible, and relate well to other church staff, congregants and visitors.
Custodian Position Description
The individuals in this position are responsible for day to day cleaning, opening and/or closing and general maintenance of Church facilities. It is the responsibility of the Custodian to insure that the facilities are cleaned and sanitized in a condition
of operating excellence, cleanliness, and safety. Whereas, safety, cleanliness, and continued efficiency of operation shall be a major goal at all times. The successful candidates carry out these functions in a helpful and cheerful manner to all who enter
or contact the Church, while meeting the needs of staff, guests, volunteers, and congregants.
The custodian is a part-time position reporting to the Church Administrator. The custodian will maintain tasks as listed below as a summary of specific job responsibilities on a daily basis:
- Cleaning of glass of the front and rear entry doors and kitchen windows
- Vacuuming of all carpeted areas of the Church
- Cleaning and sanitizing all restrooms
- Replenishing supplies in restrooms (bath tissue, soap, hand towels)
- Clean floors in kitchen
- Empting trash receptacles throughout building
- Dusting and wiping walls and crown molding
- Wiping and polishing exterior of water fountains
- Sweeping and mopping all steps
- Cleaning and dusting elevator cab interior
- Polishing brass rails
- Spot cleaning pew cushions and carpets (as necessary)
- Perform minor/routine maintenance at the facility
- Replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
- Sweep exterior walkways, pick up paper and trash.
- Other related duties as assigned
The Custodian assures that the Church is open according to the published hours of operation and that the facility if prepared for all worship services, bible studies, meetings, rehearsals, and other ministry activities. As such they will perform the following
- Respond to immediate cleaning requirements during their scheduled work shift.
- Set- up furniture and equipment in meeting spaces for use by ministries
- Assisting church members with special events, i.e. unloading and loading vehicles
- Reporting all accidents and injuries
- Locking and securing the building at the close of hours of operation, to include assuring the building is clear of guest, locking all windows and entryways, gated parking lots, and initiating the security system before leaving the building.
The Custodians perform light maintenance duties including small repairs as requested by the Church Administrator or Chair of the Trustee Ministry. They also notify the Church Administrator and/or Chair of the Trustee Ministry of any equipment failures or
areas in need of major repair.
Custodians review the monthly calendar and assure that meeting rooms and other facilities are arranged properly for use prior to the start of the event. To accomplish this task they will work with ministry heads and other members of the ministerial staff
to receive direction on special room set-ups.
Maintains and monitors inventory of cleaning supplies and notifies Church Administrator so that orders may be placed.
Perform other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One to three years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Knowledge, Skills, and Personal Attributes:
The Custodian must have experience in commercial cleaning and the proper use of cleaning methods, materials, and equipment.
The custodian must have proficient knowledge & training in the following areas:
- Standard cleaning procedures, for chemicals, products, and equipment
- Hazardous material information system
- Ability to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemical and products.
- Proficiency in reading, speaking, and writing English language.
- Must show attention to detail and ability to work independently with little supervision
The custodian must demonstrate the following skills:
- Team player
- Problem solving
- Effective verbal and listening communications
- Time management
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
As an employee of Mount Olive Baptist Church, the Custodian represents the church to the community and therefore should display the following personal attributes:
- Professional conduct, appearance, and communication
- Versatility, flexibility, and “high energy” multi-tasking capabilities in work relationships and job function
- Committed focus on service, quality, and safety
- Committed focus on teamwork and orderliness
- Be honest, trustworthy, and respectful of others
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity in working with others
- Be comfortable working in an overtly religious setting; being respectful of the beliefs of others
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence in performing job functions
Level of Responsibility:
The Custodial staff reports to the Church Administrator. The Church Administrator sets the overall work assignments, priorities, and deadlines. This position may also receive general direction from the Chair of the Trustee Ministry.
The person in this position is expected to work independently and should be a self-starter taking the initiative to perform assigned tasked without constant direction and instruction. Because of the nature of the role, the Custodian must demonstrate flexibility
and able to handle multiple tasks while maintaining a pleasant and helpful demeanor.
As Custodians have access to all areas of the church facility, staff must exhibit a high level of trust and the ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
Level and Nature of Contacts:
Custodians may have daily contact with the Senior Pastor, other staff ministers, the Church Administrator and the Church Office staff. She/he has frequent contact with the ministry heads and other church leadership as well as congregants and visitors.
The custodian position is physically demanding. The custodian must spend the entire time at work standing, walking, lifting, operating medium weight cleaning equipment such as floor buffers; sweeping and mopping floors and moving furniture and empting and
carrying trash bags and other disposable materials to the outside receptacles, climbing stairs and ladders, stooping, crouching kneeling and pushing. The custodian is required to do a great deal of stretching and bending, often in awkward positions. The
position requires the successful candidate to be able to lift up to 70lbs and to be able to manipulate chairs, 6ft tables and other furniture without assistance.
The custodian will work on a daily basis with dangerous and toxic cleaning products that can be very harmful to one’s health if not properly utilized. In some cases, these products give off unpleasant odors. The conditions of the washrooms may be unpleasant.
Many of the cleaning materials give off noxious fumes and have powerful odors. If not handled properly, cleaning materials can cause injury, sickness, and/or skin irritations and rashes. Custodians should exercise proper precautions in handling such products.
Mt Olive is a non-smoking and drug-free facility and as such, successful candidates must pass drug screening and background checks.
Each Custodian works a set schedule of hours. The assigned schedule may be augmented by additional hours based on the needs of the Church. This includes work on weekends and holidays to assure coverage during ministry events.
This is a part-time hourly position which does not carry any employer paid benefits.