We are seeking a Church Planting Pastor who has a gospel passion for reaching peoples of Hispanic cultures. The successful candidate will serve as a one or two year EPC (Evangelical Presbyterian Church) Church Planting Resident at Lake Forest Church, where they will train as a church planter, while laying the preparatory groundwork to plant a church serving the fast-growing local Hispanic population at the end of the training period. We envision the right person planting a healthy, outreach-oriented church where Hispanic families in N. Charlotte can experience the person and gospel of Jesus Christ, respond by faith in their own heart-language, and be cultivated into spiritual community and a life of mission. This new congregation will be part of the Lake Forest family of churches.
Lake Forest Church’s commitment to the “missio Dei” is expressed in many ways locally, nationally and internationally. We also accept a call to live ‘on mission’ through our ongoing practice of local church planting. In the last 3 years, Lake Forest has planted two local churches, both of which continue to grow as people receive and respond to God’s love in Christ. We are one church in three communities, and we have been primarily successful in reaching people in “suburban” cultures who had given up on church but not on God. Our mission is to love people as they discover and live out their role in God’s story.
Charlotte, NC, and especially its suburban areas, has become one of the fastest growth-rate cities in the nation for Hispanics with a growth rate of 168 percent since 2000! In the Huntersville (28078) area alone, there are 6,000+ Hispanics making up 10-15% of our local population. Unfortunately, the make-up of almost all churches in our area does not reflect this demographic, which means these people whom God dearly loves are greatly lacking in churches who are on mission to serve them.
More recently, Lake Forest Church’s Ministry Partners (what we call our members) have made genuine relationships with people of Hispanic cultures in a local trailer park community by partnering with non-profit ministries in Huntersville. We have seen a warm response to God’s love and an openness to the gospel among the people in the area. We are poised to initiate a “church planting” effort to serve them which will invite them to be a part of our church family.
- 1. Train as a Church Planter – This position will participate as an EPC Church Planting Resident, in training at Lake Forest Church for one or two years (depending on previous experience). The EPC Church Planting Residency Program cultivates healthy churches and church planters through immersive learning with experienced planters, in networks of multiplying churches, within missional contexts (see EPC Church Planting Residency Program Description 2015 document for full details, attached). The EPC provides up to two year funding for this position.
- 2. Mission Leader – During the training and preparatory year or two, the church plant developer will innovate and initiate new missions strategies for reaching the Hispanic population in N. Charlotte and Huntersville, with a strategic focus to include the Huntington Green community, while working closely with existing ministry and church partnerships. He/she will initiate, shape, and grow opportunities for Lake Forest ministry partners to engage in the mission to Hispanics in our area.
Possible Strategies May Involve…
- Existing children’s and youth ministries in Huntington Green
- Other local area churches
- Relational ministry, especially to adults in Huntington Green
- ESL classes and other evening/weekend classes
- Bible studies, prayer meetings, community groups in Spanish
- Sunday worship service translation through microphone and ear piece
- A Spanish service
- Community service projects, etc.
- 3. Culture Shaper – The Church Plant Developer will create and shape the culture at Lake Forest Church in such a way that Hispanics feel welcomed and drawn to our community, as well as dignified to be a part of it. He/she will be a “culture bridge” which will enable mutual, edifying relationships between people of different cultures at Lake Forest. Because of this, it is important that this person be “culturally savvy” in Hispanic cultures primarily, but also in “suburban” cultures to some degree.
- 4. Pastoral Care – The Church Plant Developer will be primarily responsible for the pastoral care of Hispanics who are drawn into our community. This will includes being a steward of God’s Word by bringing it into the heart-language of Hispanics, but may also include administering sacraments, officiating baptisms, quinceañeras, weddings, funerals, etc., depending on whether the person filling this role has the necessary qualifications for these rites.
- Bilingual (we strongly prefer a native Spanish speaker) and “cultural savviness”
- College degree and/or equivalent ministry experience
- Theological training (more is better) with preaching/teaching ability
- Experience in church planting and/or missions is preferred
- Experience working in a local church with a Hispanic population
- Proven relational skill and ability
- Affinity for long term affiliation with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC)
To Request More Information on:
1. Full program description of EPC Church Planter Residency Program
2. 5 page document examining the local Hispanic ministry context and our church’s increasing relational engagement with that culture
3. And/or to apply by sending a resume and cover letter:
Email us at: email@example.com
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Senior Pastor (767612)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA Southeast, Florida
- October 24
Pastor to MenCompass Church
- Salinas, California
- October 20
Associate Campus PastorJourney Church
- Boynton Beach, Florida
- October 18
Family PastorEssential Church
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- October 18
West Campus PastorCalvary Church
- St. Peters, Missouri
- October 18