Director of Youth Ministry
General Purpose of Position:
To develop young disciples of Jesus Christ by implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry. The Youth Director serves as a primary spiritual leader to the youth of Highview Church, leading them into faithful discipleship through ministry
that is Biblical, relational, gospel-focused, and missional. The youth ministry at Highview is part of our vision “to worship and proclaim Jesus as Savior, disciple his
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) reports directly to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor, in cooperation with the Personnel Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the DYM’s performance.
- To lead and oversee a dynamic youth ministry for the middle and senior high school of Highview Church. The primary components of this ministry will include:
- Leading weekly youth group for middle school students that brings youth together in a fun environment and challenges them to grow in their faith through Biblical teaching.
- Leading weekly youth group for high school students that brings youth together in a fun environment and challenges them to grow in their faith through Biblical teaching.
- Leading a discipleship group (Bible study) that helps high school students grow more deeply in their faith and in Christian fellowship.
- Overseeing the youth Sunday school classes and providing leadership for them. The youth director should lead one of these classes.
- Organizing and leading special events designed to build relationships and reach out to youth in the community (e.g. Retreats, concerts, game nights, lock-ins, movie nights, canoe trips, etc.).
- Organizing annual service projects and short-term mission trips that help youth get involved in the mission of the church.
- Lead (in consultation with the Pastor) an annual confirmation class designed to teach students the core doctrines of the Christian faith.
- Prioritize “contact work” with youth that is strategic and ongoing. This should include connecting with kids and being available outside of regular programming on a weekly basis in order to build relationships and reach out to the community.
- Develop ways that the youth can be meaningfully involved and use their gifts in the broader life of Highview.
- Maintain a balanced approach to youth ministry that disciples the youth at Highview while continually reaching outside of the walls of our church.
- Recruit and train volunteers to help assist in the youth ministry. This includes mentoring youth in developing their leadership skills and providing opportunities for them to lead.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with families and the wider congregation about youth ministry events using a variety of methods (phone calls, email, snail mail, facebook, website, newsletter etc.).
- Write a monthly article for the church newsletter pertaining to the Youth Ministry.
- Participate in the annual Vacation Bible School where needed.
- Keep a schedule of availability with regular office hours.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Attend and take an active role in the monthly Christian Education Committee.
- Attend weekly staff meetings with the Pastor.
- Participate in worship services as requested by the Pastor and interpret the youth ministry to the wider congregation.
- Must possess a vital, growing relationship with Jesus Christ, and character that is submitted to God’s word in both personal and family life.
- Must possess a strong knowledge of Scripture and a commitment to Reformed theology.
- Must possess strong leadership skills, as well as the ability to work as a team with the pastor, staff, and other leaders/volunteers.
- Must possess a passion and ability to teach and communicate God’s word to youth.
- Must possess excellent relational skills and an ability to connect with youth from a variety of ages, backgrounds, and personalities.
- Must have previous experience in youth ministry or similar youth work.
- An educational background that includes Biblical studies, theological studies, or ministry training is strongly preferred. A bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired.
- Must have the vision and organizational ability to plan, coordinate, and implement a youth ministry within the theological parameters of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and the vision of Highview EPC.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills, administrative skills, and computer skills.
- Must be creative, energetic, and compassionate.
- Music worship experience helpful, but not required.