Living Waters Church, Director of Youth Ministry
Full-Time. Salary and benefits will be based on experience and education.
Resume deadline: July 24th. Expected hire date: Sept 1st, 2015
Position Purpose: The Youth Ministry Director shall build Christian relationships through teaching and leadership with young people that will strengthen their commitment to the church community and grow in their faith in Jesus Christ.
Qualifications: Living Waters seeks a professional leader who respects and upholds the authority of scripture, has a solid understanding of the Christian faith and who has a strong desire to nurture young people in their walk with Jesus.
We seek a person who is self motivated to generate new ideas and programs, and a person who values a team concept of ministry. Above all, the candidate must be passionate about the spiritual development of children and youth in the context of their families.
Gifts of teamwork, leadership, visioning, conflict resolution, teaching, confidentiality, creative communication, and people/process management are crucial. Therefore, the following qualifications are desirable:
- A Youth and Family Ministry Education or significant experience in Youth Ministry
- Having the ability to work with youth and adults with positive relational skills
- Good organizational skills and attentive to detail
- The ability to clearly and effectively communicate with the congregation and church leadership
- A minimum 4 year degree or equivalent. (Suggested certified in youth and family ministry)
- A love of the Lord, an ability to express his or her faith well, and a personal relationship with Christ
- A love for the church
- A passionate for his or her job, a love of children, youth and their families
- Skills as a director and not just a doer
- An understanding of ministry as a team endeavor
- A willingness to receive coaching, outside training, and on the job training
- A faith founded in a theology of the cross (grace-oriented) and a faith-filled life in response to God’s Grace
- A high energy level
- The ability to demonstrate long-range planning and follow through skills
- The ability to be a good listener
- Qualities of patience, flexibility, and adaptability
- A valid driver’s license
- A willingness to have a background check
Responsibilities: Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with the lead pastor and the elders, the following constitute the major responsibilities of Living Waters Lutheran Director of Youth Ministry:
- Provide leadership for youth (Pre K -12) with support from the lead pastor, Discipleship Deacon and Living Waters members.
- Have primary program responsibilities for 5th-12th grades, partnering with the Discipleship Deacon and Living Waters members for Pre-K - 4th grade.
- Oversee the recruitment and training of adult volunteers to work with Pre-K -12th grades.
- Plan and implement age appropriate activities for 5th -12th grade youth that promote community through fellowship, fun, and faith development. Such activities might include musicals, dramatic presentations, small
group Bible studies, retreats and service projects.
- Coordinate fund-raising activities that support special youth activities and trips.
- Promote Christian service through age appropriate service projects and mission trips.
- Become an active participant and member of Living Waters, with his or her family if applicable.
- Attend activities in the community where Living Waters youth are involved.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, and/or other meetings required by the lead pastor.
- Meet regularly with pastor as needed at a time mutually agreed upon.
- Coordinate youth involvement with other ministries of the congregation in cooperation with staff.
- Provide a timely and accurate schedule of youth activities. Keep the congregation informed of youth events by coordinating the publicity for youth activities through the appropriate vehicles provided by the church.
- Provide for keeping of administrative records needed to provide for future planning. Such records would include, but not be limited to: Individual fund-raising accounts, consent forms, attendance and program activities.
- Maintain and manage youth ministry funds in collaboration with the Stewardship Deacon and the Discipleship Deacon.
- Encourage youth to participate in all facets of the life of the community of faith, including worship, choirs, educational opportunities, youth activities, service projects, Bible camps, missions trips, etc.
- Refer prospective families for membership and pastoral care when needed.
- Support the Confirmation process.
- Support and encourage youth participation in citywide and church-wide missions as available.
- Teach and disciple according to the Statement of Faith of Living Waters.
- Work in accordance with Living Waters Children’s Protection Policy.
Working Conditions: The position of Director of Youth Ministry requires flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends. The position is a full-time, salaried position. Furthermore, it is recognized that the schedule may vary at
different times of the year. It is therefore understood that the Director of Youth Ministry shall:
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours in order to be accessible to youth, parents, staff and the leadership of the congregation.
- Keep the church office informed as to how the Youth Director can be contacted.
- Notify the pastor prior to all unexpected absences from regularly scheduled events, and provide a suitable substitute in the case of anticipated absence.
- In the case of extended time away from the office (other than vacation), arrange to receive messages and respond to them within 24 hours.
- Pursue continuing education annually as approved by the lead pastor.
- Office, phone allowance, computer, mileage, and duplicating are provided by the congregation for work related to this position.
How to Apply
Interested parties should submit:
1. Resume that includes:
Name, address, phone number, and e mail
Education background, Degree earned
Computer/office equipment proficiencies
2. Three (3) References (name, contact information and relationship to you – not family)
3. Statement of Personal Christian faith
Please send all application documents to:
Living Waters Lutheran Church
Att: Youth Director Search Team
6514 N Brookwood Lane
Or email application and documents to: email@example.com
Please call Pastor Mark Schoenhals (309) 397-6428, with questions. Email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the website for Living Waters at www.livingh2opeoria.org