Houston Chinese Church is looking for a Children’s Director/Minister to lead and oversee the children’s ministry known as “Kidnection” (pre-school through elementary) and the Nursery ministry (birth to age 3). The Children’s Director/Minister will provide
leadership to the children’s ministry staff, which includes a part-time Children’s Administrative Assistant and a part-time Nursery Coordinator. Beginning in 1975, HCC now has English, Mandarin, and Cantonese-speaking congregations, with Sunday attendance
around 1000, and total children’s attendance of approximately 150 kids (~110 of which are in pre-school through elementary and 40 of which are nursery age). HCC children’s ministry aims to provide a safe place for faith formation where children will learn,
grow, and be cared for, where co-laborers are equipped and encouraged, and where parents are the primary disciplers of their children. Therefore, HCC wants a children’s director/minister who has a vision and passion to connect children and their families to
Jesus, and to make God-loving and compassionate disciples beginning at a young age.
Relationship: Accountable to Senior Pastor
Education: Undergraduate degree required; specialization in Christian Education, child development, elementary education, seminary training preferred.
Experience: 2+ years experience in Christian education and/or Children’s ministry in North America (volunteer and/or staff)
Language: Fluent in English language required; knowledge of Chinese language a plus.
- Work with the pastoral staff to align the children’s ministry vision to that of HCC.
- Provide leadership and oversee the general direction of the children’s ministries, which includes: nursery, pre-school, elementary, Awana Clubs, and Vacation Bible School (VBS), and summer programs.
- Recruit, train, and care for teachers, worship/song leaders and musicians, ministry coordinator(s).
- Determine quarterly curriculum for Sunday school classes for pre-school through elementary.
- Maintain a safe and clean environment in classrooms.
- Communicate with General Affairs Deacon and Church Administrator for facility needs.
- Work with Children’s Ministry Staff and Deacon to prepare annual budget.
- Welcome and acquaint new families and visitors.
- Be familiar with and care for HCC children and their families.
- Provide resources and periodic seminars for parents.
- Recruit church members to lead and serve on the children’s ministry prayer team.
- Advocate for the place of children and children’s ministries in the church community.
- Must be a baptized believer of Jesus Christ, and demonstrate integrity, grace, and commitment to HCC.
- Agrees completely with the articles of faith, church constitution, mission and core values of HCC.
- 2+ years experience in Christian education and/or Children’s ministry in North America (volunteer and/or staff)
- Knowledge of children’s spiritual development and innovative approaches to children’s ministry.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, management, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Possess sensitivity to Chinese and Western cultures and values.
- Fluent in English language required; knowledge of Chinese language a plus.
- Experience as a parent of young children a plus.
- Undergraduate degree required; specialization in Christian Education, child development, elementary education, seminary training preferred.