The First United Methodist Church of Blairstown seeks a gifted part-time music director and accompanist who is passionate about the ministry of the church, and seeks to draw people deeper into the Divine presence through engaging and spirit filled music
from a variety of genres. The ideal candidate will plan and implement the musical components of the worship services with our worship team, which consists of a drummer, bass guitarist, lead guitarist, and vocalists, and develop additional opportunities to
engage people from all ages in the music ministry.
The First United Methodist Church of Blairstown is a vibrant and multi-generational community of faith located in the beautiful hills of Warren County, New Jersey. Our blended worship service gathers an average of 60 people on Sunday mornings, and seeks
to engage people in faith that is transformational both in their personal lives, and in the communities that we live in.
Specific Primary Responsibilities
- Provide musical leadership and/or accompaniment for the congregation and worship team during Sunday morning worship, special services, and rehearsals. Musical offerings on Sunday may include hymns, anthems, special music, solos, prelude, offertory, postlude,
recessional, response, communion music, and on special occasions, possibly cantatas.
- Work with the pastor to select music for worship services from a variety of contemporary and traditional styles that support the service’s theme and reflect the makeup of our congregation.
- Build and nurture musicians, both spiritually and musically, to lead music in worship. Recruit and facilitate participation from all age groups. Schedule appropriate rehearsals.
- Recruit and prepare substitutes to lead worship musically during scheduled absences, in consultation with the pastor.
- Provide music for weddings and funerals. Stipend will be determined with consultation of the music director. If a family wishes to have a guest musician, this will be coordinated with the music director and pastor.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Methodist liturgical practice, and use of music in worship.
- Professional level keyboard player, particularly organ and piano, and a working knowledge of other instruments.
- Experience and competency directing musical groups of all ages.
- Ability to work well with others and participate collegially with staff members, pastors, congregational leaders, and congregation.
- Willingness to represent the values of this congregation of the United Methodist Church.
- Available for Sunday worship services, major church holidays, and other key events in the life of the church including, but not limited to Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and Christmas Eve.
Tasks are expected to require 8-10 hours per week, and include selecting music, providing music and musical direction for the worship services, leading Worship Team Rehearsals, and personal practice time.
Salary is set at $8,000 per year. The music director is entitled to two Sundays off per year. There are no paid benefits.
This position starts September 1, 2015. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Barbara Celentano, Staff Parish Relations Chairperson, by July 24, 2015.