John Knox Presbyterian Church
Normandy Park, Washington, USA
Position Title: Director of Worship, Music, and the Arts
Time Requirement: Full-time exempt salary
The official Position Description can be found on the church website at the address shown later in this announcement. Information presented in this announcement is consistent with the Position Description and intended to provide additional context for prospective
Congregational Culture and Mission:
* A Seattle suburban church, founded in 1954, with about 400 members of all ages and life stages which seeks to strengthen families and enrich cross-generational ties.
* One of several churches within the Seattle Presbytery who belong to the Fellowship of Presbyterians or are in alignment with their theological perspective.
* The mission of John Knox Presbyterian Church is to shape generations to lead lives that reveal God’s grace. We believe that worship is foundational to this mission.
* Biblical and historical foundations shape our understanding of what it means to worship God in spirit and truth. This understanding then animates the participatory nature of our worship.
* A music and arts emphasis affirms God as the Creator, people as granted the capacity to worship Him creatively, and creative expression as a point of connection with others.
* Marking time by God’s deeds in Christ reminds us that everything was created by and for Jesus—including time. We honor time-tested seasonal cycles of worship with an awareness of their meaning for us today.
* Full, active, and conscious participation in sacred action is our appropriate response to God redeeming us from sin and death. We celebrate the sacrament of communion in worship each week.
* Worship as the “work of the people” describes our understanding of liturgy as corporate service to God, and the practical need to engage many people with different gifts in order to creatively serve God through worship.
These values are expressed in greater detail on the church website at the Dimensions of Worship address shown later in this announcement.
Worship Ministry Description:
In response to God’s grace, the worship ministry engages our full complement of expressive gifts in love and adoration to Him. Worship ministry at John Knox speaks truth, embraces beauty, and is enlivened by God’s Spirit. Such congregational worship inspires
deeper love for God and neighbor, and is therefore inherently relational in goal and practice.
Sunday worship services include both creative and traditional liturgical forms. Music is typically led by a combination of the worship band (piano, drums, guitars) and the organ, with other wind and string instruments, and the choir included seasonally. JKPC
enjoys a variety of musical styles in worship, from hymns both old and new, to spirituals, Taizé, contemporary worship music, classical, and chant. Additionally, video, visual art, drama, and dance may all be used in the context of corporate worship throughout
the Church year. This depends upon a cadre of capable volunteers. Our intent is to build on this strength to increase participation by adults, youth, and children in worship ministry.
The worship ministry at JKPC seeks to be continually redefined by the magnificent God to whom we offer praise. We are not captive to tradition or fad. We value the ongoing process of understanding who God is calling us to be, a process which opens us up to
learning new ways of glorifying Him together.
Director of Worship, Music, and the Arts Summary:
The Director of Worship, Music and the Arts is called to plan, organize, and lead meaningful, transformational and multi-generational services of worship that align with JKPC’s stated mission. The WMA Director will work within the church polity, and collaborate
with other ministries and directors.
* Provide overall leadership, vision, and administration of the worship ministry
* Directly lead and/or delegate leadership of worship ministry areas
* Act as an integral part of the church staff
* Enlist, encourage, and develop leaders gifted in music, drama, visual art, dance, etc.
* Increase the desire and capacity of the congregation to experience God and connect with Him through worship
This position reports to Head of Staff, is accountable to the Worship, Music and Arts (WMA) Ministry Team and is ultimately accountable to the Session of the John Knox Presbyterian Church (JKPC).
A qualified applicant is one who
* Exhibits a personal lifestyle and confession that demonstrates that Jesus is Lord of his/her life
* Is knowledgeable, inquisitive, humble, and practical about living as a Christian
* Displays the John Knox Worship Values in his/her own life
* Can demonstrate skill in vocal musicianship, choral conducting and other forms of musical leadership
* Possesses excellent aesthetic judgment and the ability to work with other types of artists
* Displays leadership gifts and the desire to work with others to meet goals
* Demonstrates strong administrative and communication skills
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent related to the ministry responsibilities.
Experience directing worship ministries within the Reformed tradition is preferred. Other relevant experience which displays the ability to direct the worship ministry at JKPC will be considered.
To learn more about worship ministry at JKPC we recommend the following resources:
* John Knox Presbyterian Church website: http://www.jkpcusa.org
* Dimensions of Worship at John Knox: http://www.jkpcusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Worship-at-JKPC.pdf
* Worship Seeking Understanding by John Witvliet
* Ancient-Future Worship: Proclaiming and Enacting God's Narrative by Robert Webber
* Calvin Institute of Christian Worship – Ten Core Convictions About Christian Worship: http://worship.calvin.edu/resources/resource-library/ten-core-conviction