OPPORTUNITY PROFILE FOR SENIOR HIGH YOUTH PASTOR
Updated June 18, 2015
40 years ago West Shore Evangelical Free Church was formed by a small group of people committed to the truth of the gospel and to living the implications of that truth in central Pennsylvania. The church has grown to 2,500 people today but remains committed to impacting Mechanicsburg and its surrounding communities with truth and love. West Shore Free is known for its commitment to families and is significantly and intentionally multi-generational. The church has a history of seeing God move in and through its people, and is currently in a season of growth under the leadership of its new Senior Pastor, Trent Thompson. Trent is a young leader who genuinely loves people, communicates God’s truth with passion and clarity, and connects with people of all ages.
From the pulpit to venues for training and service, a high value is placed not just on knowing God’s Word, but on allowing the gospel to shape lives inside and out. West Shore is passionate about truth because it wants to see God cultivate lives of deep meaning and purpose in people from all walks of life.
West Shore Free has a uniquely multi-generational feel. The church is home to young parents, retirees, and people in every stage of life between the two. West Shore has significant strengths in their children’s and youth ministries, and a number of families would identify these ministries as a primary reason they belong to the church and invite others to belong. These ministries are partnering with parents to raise kids who love Jesus and people. West Shore is committed to being a safe place for people of faith to admit brokenness and for the skeptical and hurt to investigate Christ and His claims. They are seeing a growing number of people in both of these situations beginning to follow Jesus with courage and authenticity.
Less important than these things, but of interest and importance to its mission, are the scope of West Shore’s campus located on 92 acres with a 1500 seat worship center, a gym, multiple community spaces, and an outdoor walking path and sports fields.
One of the strengths of the church is a highly trusted and strategic staff. Executive Pastor John Nesbitt and Trent lead this team together and give significant attention to cultivating a collaborative, creative, trusting, and fun environment in which to do gospel ministry.
Throughout West Shore’s growth curve, the church body has made significant investments of finances and adult volunteer leadership in the youth ministry. Under the effective leadership of key paid youth staff over the years, West Shore’s youth ministry has flourished—resulting in a positive, high-profile position in the life of the church and community that is attractive to students and families throughout the region.
Currently, West Shore’s youth ministry engages 250-300 students in grades 7-12 on a weekly basis. For many years, the youth ministry has utilized a small group organizational structure designed to integrate and disciple students in more intimate, family-like groups. These LifeGroups are formed by grade, gender and friendships—and are led by teams of 2-3 highly invested volunteers. LifeGroups generally meet together twice per month and stay together throughout grades 7-12.
On Sunday mornings, both junior high (grades 7-8) and senior high (grades 9-12) gather together during the second service for combined worship with a student-led worship band and then they split for age-appropriate teaching. The senior high also meets on Sunday nights, alternating between large group gatherings at the church and LifeGroup gatherings in various locations. The junior high meets on Wednesday nights in a similar format. In addition, the senior high also gathers in a host home on most Thursday nights for a student-led Bible study.
Additional annual opportunities for both the junior and senior high include: summer camps, fall school year kick-off event, foodless feast fundraiser, winter retreats, a talent show scholarship fundraiser and more.
CHALLENGE & OPPORTUNITY
West Shore as a church body is: "Seeking the good of the west shore and beyond through deep truth, deep lives and deep love, for the glory of Christ." While building on a strong heritage, the church is also eagerly pursuing a new season of life together under the leadership of a new Senior Pastor in pursuit of the following values:
- Know God as He is
- Be, rather than appear to be
- Sent with the Gospel
- Sacrifice for one another
- Engage across generations
West Shore’s next Senior High Youth Pastor will have the opportunity to love and lead students, parents and leaders in the expressions of these values—while thriving in an environment where their own leadership is valued and cultivated. Although West Shore’s youth ministry is well-established, the Senior High Youth Pastor will be encouraged to develop and implement fresh ideas and structures where they may be needed.
LOCATION & DEMOGRAPHIC
Mechanicsburg is in the heart of Central Pennsylvania in the Cumberland Valley. It is 14 miles west of Harrisburg and sits between the cities of Hershey and Gettysburg. It is a family-friendly community with great schools and affordable housing (average home prices in the 200K- 250K range). With four distinct seasons each year, residents enjoy the best of outdoor recreation and local attractions. While the community offers the comforts of a mid-size city, it is only a few hours from the major metropolitan areas of D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New York. Central Pennsylvania offers the rich heritage of the northeast while sharing the friendliness and authenticity of the mid-west.
West Shore is a congregationally-governed, elder-ruled, and staff-led church. It is affiliated with The Evangelical Free Church of America (www.efca.org) and embraces the EFCA’s Statement of Faith. It is a place where collaboration is valued, creativity is encouraged, and leadership is recognized. The unique combination of a young, highly-skilled, and relational senior pastor, paired with a high-achieving and supportive executive pastor provides an environment where current and future staff can thrive. West Shore is an ideal place for a youth pastor with authentic faith, the right skill set, and a genuine love for people.
To find out more about West Shore Evangelical Free Church, please take time to peruse the church website at www.westshorefree.com to learn more about their doctrinal beliefs, vision, values and the many other ministries of the church. If, after a thorough look at these resources and the opportunity and position profiles, you sense that this opportunity would be a good fit for you, please apply as follows. Submit your resume along with any associated documents (which should include a link to a sample video of your teaching) to our search coordinator— Lauren Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
POSITION PROFILE FOR SENIOR HIGH YOUTH PASTOR
Updated June, 2015
The Senior High Youth Pastor leads the Senior High Ministry in accordance with the overall vision, mission and policies of West Shore Evangelical Free Church.
- Actively pursuing God and growing in Christ-likeness.
- Practicing a life and ministry characterized by godliness, integrity and authenticity.
- Attained at least a Bachelor’s degree level of education in a related field.
- Demonstrating a high level of excellence and competency through current or past experience in a similar ministry context.
- Able to build and lead effective teams.
- Utilizes the following gifts and skills: Preaching and teaching the Bible; ability to give spiritual counsel; relating and connecting with students and parents; organized and highly communicative.
- Actively participate in weekly meetings with the Youth department team.
- As a team member, support the over-arching vision and direction of the church body, the Elders and the Senior Pastor, as well as the overall youth ministry.
- Be committed to seeking a strong team dynamic with the other members of the youth ministry staff.
- Be committed to participating and leading as needed in all trainings for youth leaders and church wide leadership training as directed.
- Be a committed learner by participating in conferences or courses that will contribute to further development as a youth ministry professional, as well as reading current materials on youth ministry, spiritual growth, etc.
Senior High Youth:
- Work with youth ministry staff in discerning the spiritual needs of senior high students.
- Recruit, train, develop and shepherd a team of adult volunteers who will have direct ministry to Senior High students.
- Lead, direct and oversee students and adult volunteers in planning and organizing Senior High Ministry programs, including: LifeGroups, Sunday mornings and evenings, Thursday Night Bible Study, winter retreat, Harvey Cedars summer camp as well as any other events created in collaboration with the youth ministry as a whole.
- Implement and improve the current strategy of utilizing small groups as the primary element in the youth ministry by which students find community.
- Develop and lead youth on a mission trip over the summer.
- Develop and implement a strategy for the discipleship of students that will yield lasting fruit after they have graduated.
- Work with the technical team to develop, support and implement the church website and social media for the youth ministry, as well as other future technology opportunities as they emerge.
- Develop a strategy for communicating, ministering and relating to families of the senior high youth—recognizing that parents have primary responsibility for the spiritual nurture of their children.
- Fulfill other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned due to the dynamic nature of the ministry.
The Senior High Youth Pastor will have the opportunity to report to either the lead Youth Pastor or the Executive Pastor contingent upon experience. This reporting involves not only ministry accountability but also spiritual accountability. It is expected that each member of the team will be actively pursuing a personal relationship with God and living a life characterized by godliness. Transparency is highly valued and confidentiality among staff is assumed to cultivate a healthy and transforming environment.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Student & Young Adult PastorChurch Unlimited
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- September 24
Youth MinisterPrivate Profile
- Alpharetta, Georgia
- September 24
Lead Student PastorMount Ararat Baptist Church
- Stafford, Virginia
- September 23
Pastor/Director of Youth MinistriesFirst Covenant Church
- Salina, Kansas
- September 23
Youth / Worship PastorVictory Temple Assembly of God
- Jasper, Indiana
- September 23