Position Objective: The mission of First Evangelical Free Church is to be a church that makes, matures and multiplies fully committed followers of Jesus Christ. Our worship values are a key part of implementing this mission and include the
following summary of how we strive to implement this mission through our Sunday morning worship services:
• Engaging all our people
• Using a wide variety of instruments, vocals and lyrics within our worship services that fits our moderately contemporary style
• Celebrating life stories of people experiencing Christ’s love and fulfilling His purpose
• Demonstrating authenticity – we define this as godly, passionate, vulnerable, biblically rich worship done with excellence
Worship fulfills the mission of First Free by providing opportunities for our congregation and community to encounter the living God in public worship and encouraging them to take next steps as followers of Christ.
Ministry Description and Responsibilities --The Worship Pastor facilitates all worship, music, and creative arts ministries of the church in accordance with our worship values.
1. The Worship Pastor will be a:
a. Visionary who is creative in leading people to God.
b. Leader who can communicate a direction in a way that inspires the congregation to join in the pursuit of that vision.
c. Mentor for a team of worship leaders who rotate in giving leadership (beyond “just filling in when the main worship leader is out”).
d. Champion of the doctrine, mission and vision of the church.
2. The Worship Pastor will do the following:
a. Strive to accomplish the following Biblical objectives:
i. Walk in integrity by the grace of God. Confess sin, strive for holiness, and pursue deeper amazement at God’s grace (2 Timothy 3:10-13);
ii. Center our songs, exhortations, and ministry on the Bible; faithfully uphold the truth of Scripture, with particular emphasis on teaching that produces/increases faith and love for Jesus (2 Timothy 1:8-14);
iii. Encourage discipleship in response to any distractions or discouragement (2 Timothy 1:15-2:2); and
iv. Build on the foundational importance of proclaiming Christ and trusting God’s word as the power for salvation and growth using, but not relying on, cultural trends (2 Timothy 2:8-21).
b. Set annual goals for the worship ministry that are in line with our vision and then evaluate how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
c. Plan and execute the corporate worship services in consultation with the Senior Pastor and do so with prayer, conceptual forethought, theological depth and richness, and musical appropriateness. Ensure that all the musical and technical aspects of the
service advance the theme for the day. Oversee song and choral selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and lighting enhancements, and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and dramatists.
d. Provide worship leadership at the worship service by:
i. Creating an inviting, worshipful atmosphere, a space in which people can meet with God; and
ii. Leading the congregation and the members of the worship ministry in growing their own relationships with the Lord through worship.
e. Pastor those serving in the worship ministry, not simply serve as a musical or performing arts director.
f. Build the necessary teams to carry out the worship activities of First Free.
g. Oversee the worship department budget, organization, and volunteers.
h. Collaborate with children, student and college worship activities to achieve worship values.
i. Develop other opportunities for our congregation and community to encounter God in worship. These may include but are not limited to videos, Sunday worship service dramas, and major seasonal musicals/dramas.
Qualifications and Abilities:
The Worship Pastor should have the following personal attributes:
1. A personal Christian testimony and walk that shows a vital, growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. A servant’s heart as a musician and a missional drive toward building disciples.
3. Comfortable not being good at everything, but able to recruit, train and bring out the best in volunteer teams.
4. An unbridled passion to lead God’s people in worship.
5. An enthusiastic presence for leading a large church in worship.
6. An engaging and gracious personality.
7. A heart for the spiritual formation of those in the community, congregation and the worship ministry.
8. A high level of initiative and motivation.
The Worship Pastor should be the following:
1. A person of integrity with a commitment to moral purity.
2. A team player with a positive attitude.
3. A learner, approachable, and unpretentious.
The Worship Pastor should have the following training and/or proven experience:
1. A degree in music, worship, or a related field is desirable.
2. Excellence leading a multi-generational congregation of 500 or more in worship.
3. Proficiency playing and teaching guitar or piano (preferably both).
4. Performing, training, and directing an eclectic group of instrumental and vocal musicians in a variety of musical genres and able to incorporate other art forms.
5. Capable of being ordained or licensed in the Evangelical Free Church of America.
6. Knowledge of modern worship music and traditional hymns appropriate for a worship setting.
7. High level of training combined with humbly seeking what God is doing.
8. Basic knowledge in the use of technology, sound, video, lighting, computers, and Power Point.