Located in the growing southwest suburbs of Kansas City, Kaw Prairie Community Church is a young and energetic ‘casual on the outside, serious on the inside’ multiple-affiliation community church (Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Willow Creek Association) on mission to change lives with Jesus' love. It's a beautiful community of inquisitive, compassionate, non-dogmatic but eager-for-discipling people, with students longing to understand and experience the abundant life that can be ours in Jesus Christ. KPCC is 11-years old, learning and evolving under the leadership of its founding pastor and faithful elders, worshipping 500+/week, with contemporary, guitar-driven worship. It’s also a healthy mix of doing and praying, evangelicals and mainliners, conservatives and liberals, ancient sacraments and modern technology.
We’re in a time of exciting staff rebuilding, with major growth opportunities as long-serving staff have moved on to other careers and callings— and new leaders begin to join the lineup. The position offers a competitive salary, full benefits paid by the church, and the chance to do life-changing and team-centered ministry in a flexible, high-expectation and highly supportive environment.
Position Purpose: The provides leadership to the membership of Kaw Prairie and our surrounding communities by providing the vision and leadership necessary to grow and multiply middle and high school Youth Ministries that emphasize both discipleship and outreach, to nuture a nascent Young Adults ministry, and to unite an ad hoc missions team behind a unifying vision for domestic and international missionst that will deepen our faith and broaden our horizons.
Primary Job Goals
Youth ministry is a highly-respected, critical, congregationally-supported ministry with the following major goals for the pastor in charge:
- Model a life of discipleship for the youth, young adults and the youth advisors of our church and community by humbly following Jesus
- Clearly articulating and encouraging a life-long, life-changing love and trust of Jesus Christ.
- Grow Kaw Prairie youth, young adult, and missions volunteer staff, parents, and students from bystanders into participants, communicating a passion for Jesus and the Gospel and working to reproduce disciples, leaders and evangelists.
- Increase participation in our weekly youth ministry, especially among high school students, and coordinate strategic transitions from elementary to middle school, from middle-school to high school, and from high school on into college or work life.
- Build trust with parents via timely, reliable communications, accurate recordkeeping, and relevant parent-focused programming.
- Develop a deeper-impact, Biblically-grounded high school small group ministry, possibly in coordination with an adult discipleship model like Alpha, 3dm, etc. and possibly including Sunday morning classes.
- Successfully coordinate and oversee high school and middle school youth retreats, mission trips, and discipleship programs.
- Connect personally, proactively, and successfully with teens and their families on Sunday mornings and in their school and community environments.
- Develop a system for providing pastoral-care for youth in crisis, using professional and pastoral resources available.
- Oversee effective fundraisers to subsidize youth events needing more financial support, e.g., mission trips and church camps.
- Assist Director of Worship and Creative Arts as necessary in student music ministry.
- Define and launch a coherent Young Adult ministry, cooperating with existing volunteers and challenging the vision to larger and more effective levels of engagement.
Other Pastoral Responsibilities
13. Develop a vision for missions for Kaw Prairie, deploying students and adults in ways that further congregational vision and valuesa.
14. Assist in the church-wide support of small group and discipleship ministries.
15. Share in general pastoral care responsibilities with other pastors on staff.
16. Participate occasionally in Sunday morning preaching rotation.
17. Share staff team responsibilities such as participating in weekly staff meetings, monthly trainings, and special projects, keeping appropriate office hours, participating in summer parades and supporting church-wide special events.
We would expect this individual would bring their own passions, of course, but would share these, as well:
- Eagerness to grow the Kingdom of God by growing the local church.
- Passion to leave no students ‘on the outside looking in,’ and to bless those who want to grow in Christ with authentic friendships, emotionally-safe experiences, and Biblically-grounded teaching.
- Eagerness to challenge every student and their family to trust Jesus, bless people, make disciples and grow the Kingdom.
- Passion to prepare students for a life of wise and godly decisions and deep trust in Jesus Christ.
- Heart for growing students’ cross-cultural empathy by exposing them to the broader world outside their cultural contexts.
- Heart for growing students’ love of Scripture by regular, engaging, and challenging studies of God’s Word.
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters degree and ordination preferred.
- Experience of three or more years in youth or young adult ministry, paid or volunteer, or leadership in related secular fields.
- Abundant interpersonal skills in 1-1 settings, leadership skills in small group experiences, and communication skills in large venues.
- Spiritual maturity and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to challenge students to deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Proficiency with using technology and social media to grow and deepen ministry.
- Proven recruiting and organization-growing ability.
- Working knowledge of creating and maintaining budgets.
- Strong work ethic, flexibility, initiative, teamwork and sense of humor.
- Comfort with the church’s PCUSA and ELCA denominational connections and faithfulness, despite our non-denominational look and paradigms.
Salary Package: The salary package for this position is based on experience and qualifications, and includes full health and pension benefits for self and family.
To apply, please use the ChurchStaffing.com system to upload your cover letter with your faith statement or faith story, and, of course, your resume. Include links to teaching or other media samples if available. Please send other questions to email@example.com.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Student Ministries PastorBraeswood Assembly of God Church
- Houston, Texas
- January 17
Pastor of Student MinistriesThe Orchard Evangelical Free Church
- Arlington Heights , Illinois
- January 17
Director of Student MinistriesJeffrey Calhoun
- Hopkinsville, Kentucky
- January 17
Youth DirectorGrace at Fort Clake United Methodist Church
- Gainesville, Florida
- January 17
Student PastorChurchology Staffing
- Lake Worth , Florida
- January 17
Kaw Prairie Community Church
Kaw Prairie is a Christ-first, multi-denominational* community church that trusts Jesus, blesses people, makes disciples, and grows the Kingdom. We worship in an ancient/contemporary (weekly communion and guitar-driven) style and a vibe that's casual on the outside, serious on the inside, all for the purpose of changing lives with Jesus' love. * Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (USA), and the Willow Creek Association.More...