Avalon Missionary Church is seeking an enthusiastic person with a passion for and call to ministry with children to serve as our next Children’s Pastor! Avalon seeks to make followers of Jesus Christ who are experiencing grace, equipping disciples and engaging the world. Our children and their families are a key part of fulfilling that mission! We’re located on the south side of the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana, an area with growing ethnic diversity. With that in mind, we are striving to become a church that reaches and reflects our diverse community. In addition, we strive to establish a visible and recognizable culture among our staff as team players who work together to help the people of the church pursue Avalon’s mission of making followers of Jesus Christ who engage their world. Those interested in the position should check our website (www.avalonmc.com) to learn more about us and to review our core beliefs and values. Applicants would be required to pass a background check as a part of Avalon’s Child Protection Policy (as is true for all staff at our church). Details about employment opportunities at Avalon are also available at http://avalonmc.com/employment-opportunities.php. If you are interested in exploring the possibility of God’s call upon your life for this position by applying, please e-mail a letter of interest and resume to Pastor Keith Koteskey at email@example.com.
Position Description: The person serving as Children’s Pastor will oversee the ministry to the children (infant through fifth grade) of Avalon Missionary Church and our surrounding community in a manner that is consistent with the vision and mission of the church.
Accountable to: Senior Pastor
Direct Reports: Volunteer Children’s Leadership Staff
Ministry Interns (if applicable at some point)
Qualifications and Experience: The person serving in this position should bring:
- A commitment of faith in Christ, a passionate desire to serve Him, and a sense of His calling to ministry with children in and through the local church.
- Preferably a degree in Children’s Ministry, Education, Youth Ministry or Christian Ministries from an accredited university or college and/or prior children’s ministry experience.
- A reasonable understanding of the Bible and theology appropriate to ministry with children and personal beliefs that are in agreement with the key theological positions of the Missionary Church.
(Information on the theological positions of The Missionary Church may be found at http://www.mcusa.org/AboutMC/PositionPapers/ArticlesofFaithandPractice.aspx and additionally in the Missionary Church constitution at http://www.mcusa.org/AboutMC/MCConstitution.aspx, particularly the section “Position Papers” on page 41.)
- A cooperative attitude, a kind and helpful spirit, and a strong work ethic.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- The ability to recruit, equip, mentor and motivate leaders (adults, youth and children).
- Honesty, integrity, and courtesy.
- A faithful commitment to maintain confidentiality where necessary.
- A strong desire to encourage biblical truth in teaching and in the lives of children.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with attention to detail.
- Flexibility to adapt to changes in work responsibilities as the church’s ministry and vision develops.
- Pray faithfully for children’s leadership staff and the children and families of our church.
- Establish and execute a strategy for outreach to and discipleship of children – ages infant through fifth grade – that contributes to the overall vision and strategy of our church.
- Initiate, direct and supervise all aspects of children’s ministry to accomplish this strategy.
- Supervise our Upward sports outreach ministry – basketball, cheerleading and soccer – building, equipping and leading a team to utilize this ministry to build bridges to families in our community and to share the Good News.
- Recruit, equip, mentor and motivate adult volunteer leaders, and cultivate this team to execute the ministry strategy, by meeting together regularly.
- Utilize technology and creative communication as tools in our ministry to children.
- Teach regularly in the children’s ministry and mentor members of the leadership team as teachers in the ministry.
- Cultivate and utilize opportunities for children to be involved in ministry, service and mission both within the church and also to our community and city.
- Serve as a consulting member of the governing board for Avalon Christian School, a preschool ministry of our church, and work cooperatively with the preschool’s director to integrate the work of the school as a part of the overall ministry to children in our church.
- Model relational ministry by investing in personal contact with children and their families (visits, calls, notes, crisis intervention, event presence, etc.), and equip and motivate volunteer leadership staff to do the same.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and work cooperatively with other church staff members and ministry leaders to help the church accomplish her calling. This would include assisting the senior pastor and staff with the ministries of the church according to giftedness (e.g., occasional preaching if so gifted, covering emergency pastoral care matters, etc.)
- Meet consistently with Senior Pastor to maintain clear communication, track progress and address ministry needs.
- Carry out ministry in a manner that represents the church with professionalism and courtesy.
- Utilize annual evaluation process to determine opportunities for improvement.
- Prepare professionally for growth in ministry through approved continuing education, reading and research.
This job description is not intended to include every detail related to this position, but rather a general description of the main responsibilities. Avalon Missionary Church reserves the right to change and revise job descriptions as the need arises.
Time & Compensation: This is a full time, salaried position. Benefits include health and disability insurance, vacation, sick leave, and professional development support.
Avalon Missionary Church purposes to make followers of Jesus Christ who are experiencing grace, equipping disciples, and engaging the world.
We pursue God and join Him in what He is doing.
The plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of His heart through all generations.
We follow Christ by learning and doing what He taught.
Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.
1 John 2:6
We present God’s truth in culturally relevant ways.
We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord.
We embody grace-based community.
By this all will know that you are my followers, if you love one another.
We invite others to join us on our way towards the kind of life God has for us.
I am sending you to them… so that they may receive forgiveness of sin.
We unleash our gifts and talents to serve each other, our community and our world.
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace.
1 Peter 4:10
They all joined together constantly in prayer.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Kids Ministry Leader (Pastor)Private Profile
- Hayward, California
- January 22
Director of Christian Education for Children, Youth and FamiliesSpring Valley Presbyterian Church
- Columbia, South Carolina
- January 21
Director of Children's MinistriesFellowship Bible Church
- Benton, Arkansas
- January 21
Director of Childrens MinistrySt. Luke Church
- Columbus, Georgia
- January 20
Director of Children's MinistriesJourney Community Church
- Camas, Washington
- January 20