Director of Middle School Youth Ministries
Berean Baptist Church
A Church with a Healing Heart
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for someone with a passion for student ministry. This person will work alongside Berean’s Pastor of Student Ministries in providing leadership, development and growth within both the students and the volunteer leaders who work with them. This
position will be primarily responsible for Berean’s middle school ministry. This position is not full time, but is expected to require
approximately 30 hours of attention each week.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing direct oversight and coordination of all programming, leaders and students (6-8th grades)
- Developing and employing ministry methods that are relevant to the needs of middle school student and parents in our rapidly evolving culture
- Working with existing staff to develop methods for connecting students and families to the larger church body
- Assisting with teaching high school as assigned
- Participating in leadership for special programs as assigned
- Representing Berean Baptist Church in community wide ministry efforts as needed
- Demonstrates maturity in their personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ
- Is consistently striving to know the Lord more
- Has an evident a love for students, families and the church as a whole
- Demonstrates a passion for ministry to students and families
- Relates well with people of all ages in both formal and informal settings
- Able to build and lead teams of adult volunteers who are eager to mentor students
- Values collaboration, clarity and unity
- Able to set realistic goals and keep oneself accountable to achieve them
- Able to prioritize and be a self-starter
- Enthusiastic to participate as part of a team
- Evidence of effective leadership is previous areas of responsibility
Education & Experience:
- It is preferable that the Director of Middle School Youth Ministries has attained at least an undergraduate degree with a concentration that will contribute to the ability to be successful in this role
Who We Are, Briefly
Church Mission: To transform hurting people into healthy, Spirit-empowered followers of Jesus Christ.
Statement of Purpose, Youth Ministry: The youth ministry efforts at Berean Baptist Church exist to encourage and enable students to establish and build a relationship with Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, and to be effective witnesses
for Him in their world and among their peers.
A Glimpse of Our Current Youth Ministry: All of Berean’s current youth ministry efforts are identified by the label SURGE. This identifier is an acronym that represents the current student ministry’s central themes: Serve, Unite, Reach,
Grow and Elevate. In fact, every Wednesday throughout the school year an average of 70 middle school students (grades 6-8), 85 high school students (grades 9-12), and 40 volunteer youth staff gather in the SURGE Center for various ministry activities. Most
weeks a band, comprised entirely of students, leads a time of worship in song…although a couple of times a month we send the middle school students to the gym to run off some energy and bond with leader via games and kinesthetic activity. Most weeks both the
middle and high school students are then taught simultaneously in two separate state of the art auditoriums. And, every week, all students disperse to a small group room, a fireside area, or a mezzanine to end the evening in a time of small group discussion.
Additionally, while Wednesday evenings have long been the cornerstone of SURGE’s programming, it is far from all that we do. Each year we have facilitated fall retreats for both the middle and high school groups individually, as well as a winter retreat for
high school students. We usually provide 2 opportunities for the middle school students to serve via various mission trips, and 3 opportunities for high school students as well. We are blessed to be able to take students on an international mission trip to
Haiti for one of our trips each year. Of course, we also offer Sunday school classes for all ages, participate in a number of area-wide youth gatherings, and are constantly looking for opportunities to cultivate student leadership. SURGE’s current programming
efforts are relationally focused, small group driven and mission minded. And we are excited about how an innovative and passionate leader might not only capitalize on current strengths, but, will likely enlarge Berean’s influence over youth in in our area.
If interested, please send resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org