First Christian Church Lawrence (FCC) seeks a senior pastor to work with us to deepen our faith, expand our understanding of living out the gospel, and reach out to the world so that all may accept Christ as savior. The Senior Pastor is the visible spiritual
leader of FCC, providing leadership, teaching, and direction of the church in all areas of ministry. He/she calls people to Jesus Christ, nurtures and disciples them, and prepares and trains them to do ministry so the whole body of Christ grows and lives out
its faith in loving action. This is accomplished through preaching and teaching, developing leadership and programming for individual and church growth, counseling individuals and teams, and equipping the church to do God’s work in the world.
A Masters of Divinity and five years of experience is preferred, however, strong candidates that lack these qualifications may still be considered. You are invited to send your resume or inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preach and Teach
- Preach and teach in worship services and other settings for the purpose of nurturing and challenging people to grow into fully mature, faithful followers of Jesus Christ.
- Work with the worship team to plan congregational worship services that engage people to hear and respond to God.
- Interpret and teach the scriptures, theological concepts, and church history for the spiritual growth of FCC members.
- Preach and teach the evangelistic mission of the church from community and global perspectives and encourage participation in and active support of FCC-, community-, and global-based missions.
Develop Leadership and Programs for Church Growth
- Provide leadership in planning the strategies for church growth.
- Plan for and oversee the identifying, training, and development of leaders to strengthen the church and enhance the effectiveness of its ministries.
- Lead, direct, and evaluate staff to strengthen ministry teams.
Counsel Individuals and Teams for Their Spiritual Growth
- Lead people to Christ, disciple them, and provide spiritual direction to those who seek it.
- Invite, counsel, and prepare people to become members of FCC.
- Minister to families and individuals in times of crisis, offering pastoral counseling when needed.
- Perform weddings and funerals, and provide associated counseling.
- Provide and coordinate pastoral care to the homebound and hospitalized.
Equip the Church to do God’s Work in the World
- Educate and train members to demonstrate their faith through acts of love and service in the community, region, and internationally.
- Provide leadership to The Giving Tree, the FCC preschool with attendance of 70 students.
- Facilitate FCC’s work with community leaders to identify needs and establish partnerships for evangelism and works of service.
- Work with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination for the benefit of FCC and its ministries.
Our multigenerational congregation is located blocks from the University of Kansas and worships in a newly remodeled 100-year-old building in downtown Lawrence. We have two services on Sunday mornings, a traditional service at 9:00 and a contemporary service
at 11:00, and a variety of programming and service opportunities for all ages during the week. Our mission is to “Engage and Embrace all people as we seek to Embody Christ.”