THE VILLAGE CHURCH OF BARRINGTON
CHILDREN AND FAMILY MINISTRIES DIRECTOR
A. Philosophy and Essentials of Ministry
At Village Church of Barrington, we strongly believe that God grants the role of primary disciple-maker to parents. The church is meant to equip, support, and partner with parents in the training of their children. For this reason, we have implemented and desire to continue and improve upon the following:
- Legacy Discipleship Plan: This is a plan designed to equip parents for the training of their children to successfully reach important milestones (e.g. child dedication, salvation and baptism, preparing for young adulthood, rite of passage, and high school graduation) and to celebrate those milestones intentionally as families and as a family of families.
- Teach What Is Preached: In Kids’ Church, the CFM director teaches children first through fifth grades the same passage of scripture as what is preached by the senior pastor in “big church”. This allows for wonderful discipleship opportunities and robust post-church discussions between parents and children.
- Unified Sunday School Curriculum: We believe strongly in the robust, systematic, and chronological teaching of how God worked through people and events. We do that using a unified curriculum so children three years through third grade are taught the same lesson at their level. In fourth grade, students are taught how to use their Bibles well through an inductive Bible study. In fifth grade, students are brought through our capstone course. This course focuses on the development of students’ biblical worldview through the teaching of the New City catechism, the beatitudes, and key events in church history.
- Church-time Curriculum With a Focus On Teaching Throughout the Week: During church our preschoolers are taught from a strong, gospel-focused curriculum that has a companion family devotional. This allows parents to carry the lesson taught on Saturday evening and Sunday morning throughout the week.
B. General Responsibilities
The CFMD will be primarily responsible for planning, organizing, staffing, and directing all programming for families and children birth through fifth grades. This includes but is not limited to: Sunday School, Kids’ Church, Church-time Preschool, Nursery, AWANA, VBS, Camp VCB, Family Fun Nights, etc. Depending on training, qualifications, and experience, the CFMD may also be assigned the responsibility of overseeing the marriage ministry at VCB. This includes, but isn’t limited to: pre-marital counseling and newly married care, marriage enrichment, marriage mentoring and counseling, marriage/family education, and wedding coordination. Additional pastoral duties may be assigned by the Associate Senior Pastor or Senior Pastor.
C. Staff Relationships
The CFMD shall be called by the Congregation upon the recommendation of the Senior Pastor and vote of the Church Board.
The CFMD shall be a member of the pastoral staff of the church and shall meet regularly with the staff. The CFMD shall report to and be reviewed by the Associate Senior Pastor.
- Regular attendance and participation at all staff meetings.
- Non-voting participant at the church board meetings when attendance is requested.
- Accountable to the Associate Senior Pastor.
- Plan a yearly program of ministry founded on the greatest commandment and in alignment with the strategic vision of the church for the families and children birth through fifth grades.
- Recruit, train, direct, and review lay workers, teachers, and leaders to carry on the needed ministries.
- Coordinate all activities for families and children birth through fifth grade with the other church programs by working cooperatively with other lay and professional staff.
- Shepherd the children, parents, and lay people involved in Children and Family Ministries.
- Provide support and training to parents of children birth through fifth grade.
- Oversee, coordinate, and submit for approval all Children and Family Ministry policies.
- Manage and provide oversight to Children and Family Ministry budget lines.
** Possibly Marriage Ministries: Develop, lead, and support ministries/programs designed to enrich, support, and heal the marriages of VCB.
- Clear, articulate faith in Christ.
- Meet the spiritual qualifications of a Deacon.
- Strong knowledge of the Bible and the ability to teach it to children.
- Spiritual gifts of administration, leadership, shepherding, and teaching (desired).
- A bachelor’s degree is required. A degree from a Christian college is preferable.
- Experience working with children and parents.
- Biblical counseling training and experience counseling families (desired).
F. Additional Considerations
- A work week of approximately 45-60 hours shall be established for this position, including the hours required on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Compensatory time for short term deviations from normal work hours may be taken at the Associate Senior or Senior Pastors’ discretion. All such adjustments should be arranged with the Associate Senior Pastor.
- The church will provide work space appropriate to the job, with necessary office equipment. Normal expenses for materials and travel will be reimbursed from Pastoral Expenses, as approved by the Associate Senior Pastor.
- Attendance at Free Church conferences and other professional meetings can be paid for from the Conference Expense budget with approval from the Associate Senior Pastor.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children's PastorFirst Christian Church
- Lawrence, Kansas
- October 25
Children's Pastor/DirectorThe Church at Cedar Hills
- Beaverton, Oregon
- October 25
Preschool AssociateChrist Community Church
- West Chester, Pennsylvania
- October 25
Children's Minister/DirectorBettendorf Christian Church
- Bettendorf, Iowa
- October 25
Pastor/Director of Children's MinistryOtterbein Church Inc.
- Waynesboro , Pennsylvania
- October 25
Village Church of Barrington
Village Church of Barrington is an Evangelical Free Church with great programs for all ages from nursery up thru high school. Our congregation mirrors the communities of Chicago's northwest suburbs, and most of our congregation have professed faith in Christ, are involved in church activities, and have been here at least three years. Average Sunday morning attendance in our worship services is 750. Village Church of Barrington continues to be the evangelical witness that its founders desired. The impact of our ministry is fe More...