Announcing A Search for
AN ASSOCIATE PASTOR FOR CONGREGATIONAL LIFE
@ Orcas Island Community Church
ABOUT ORCAS ISLAND COMMUNITY CHURCH
For more information see: www.orcaschurch.org
Orcas Island is beautiful. Island Magazine calls it one the top ten islands in the world to call home and Orcas Island Community church (OICC) has served the people of Orcas Island for 131 years.
The people in this vibrant church state their mission as follows: to pursue God in the company of friends for the benefit of the world (starting on Orcas Island). What are some of the ways you could describe this church? OICC is a praying, worshipping, caring, learning, fellowshipping, serving church that reaches out locally and globally.
Founded in the 1800’s by a Methodist circuit-riding pastor, it became affiliated with the Presbyterian denomination, but then in the 1960’s the people of OICC chose to be a community church because it enabled them to serve the diverse population of Orcas Island (Population 4500 year around, plus several thousand families own summer and seasonal homes). Because there are only a few churches on Orcas Island, the community church serves people from over 40 denominations with diverse educational, economic and theological backgrounds. Our influence on the island is greater than our average worship attendance. We average 250 in attendance (6% of the island population), but we serve 400 people a week through various ministries and through community use of our facilities. Because there are so few churches on the island, many people who do not attend OICC consider our pastoral staff-their pastors!
We think working for unity within diversity is the way Jesus intends it to be. As a matter of fact when the Apostle Paul said, “In Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus,” we believe it requires us to practice the old dictum, “in essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty and in all things charity."
Our senior pastor is writer, broadcaster and Kindlings founder, Dick Staub, whose calling since the 1960’s has been to understand faith and culture and interpret each to the other. After seven years at OICC, he is working with the elders and other church ministry team leaders to develop four fresh initiatives to guide our church and ministry going forward. With the Senior Pastor, The Associate Pastor for Congregational Life will be at the start of developing and implementing new initiatives for this amazing church.
• Outreach. We will reach every person on Orcas Island so they can learn of God’s love in word and deed in a language and way they can understand.
• Worship. We will accommodate a broader range of worship, musical and learning styles, & we will also enjoy times when we gather to celebrate them together!
• Congregational Life. We will strengthen our local congregation so that under Christ we can more effectively build up our body to maturity as we speak the truth in love and serve each other and our community.
• Stewardship. Under Christ’s Lordship we will be good stewards of our resources, all of which come from God and belong to God.
ABOUT THE ASSOCIATE PASTOR FOR CONGREGATIONAL LIFE
I. Position Title: Associate Pastor For Congregational Life
II. Reporting Relationships: The Associate Pastor for Congregational Life reports directly to the Senior Pastor, Dick Staub
III. General Description: The Associate Pastor for Congregational Life oversees our ministries designed to equip and strengthen our local congregation so that we can more effectively build up our body to maturity in Jesus Christ as a loving, learning, serving, company of believing friends. This person is a pastor, preacher/teacher and overseer, serving with us as we pursue God in the company of friends for the benefit of the world.
IV. Duties & Responsibilities This position has four main areas of focus:
a) Leads, recruits, trains, supports and oversees all Congregational Life Ministry Team Leaders
• Growth Ministries (Classes, Events, Small Groups, Bible Studies and Library).
• Caring Ministries (Compassionate Care, Counseling and Healing Hearts)
•Family Life Ministries (Nursery, Kids, Teens, Men's Ministries & Women's Ministries).
• Plans, organizes, leads, measures and improves performance.
b) Preaches & Teaches.
• Collaborates with the Senior Pastor in assessing congregational & Island needs and developing preaching series and themes. As assigned by Senior Pastor prepares and delivers accessible, applicable, biblically-grounded sermons as part of the preaching team.
• Exegetes and interprets scripture in a way that gives evidence of a warm heart and active mind that understands the text, language and context of our ancient biblical texts and then applies them relevantly to our 21st century situation.
c) Pastoral Care & Counseling
• Personally provides basic pastoral counseling & builds a network of qualified referral sources for specialized situations.
• Oversees elders & shepherding ministry and in collaboration with Senior Pastor visits the sick, bereaved, and people in crisis.
• Oversees and equips compassionate care team members to listen and love people needing caring listeners.
d) Collaborative long-term team player in a complex, diverse congregation operating in a post-Christian region of the country.
• OICC has committed to four initiatives over the next ten years (See above). This position is being created, in part, to free up more of our Senior Pastor’s time and energy to focus on developing innovative, effective outreach and worship initiatives to reach every person outside the church on Orcas Island. This will require an Associate Pastor for Congregational Life who has a real heart for seekers, but whose gifts and calling are better suited for a role greeting folks once they enter the church. This calls for an innovative, thoughtful creative pastor/teacher who will develop and implement strategies for growing new and long-time believers into fully devoted disciples of Jesus Christ once they enter the church and faith.
• We are looking for an Associate Pastor For Congregational Life who, God willing and should it be agreeable to both parties, is interested in serving at this church and on this island long term, because understanding and serving in this environment requires long-term relationships.
• We are building a pastoral staff of collaborative strategic thinkers who are equippers, not just doers. This requires strong administrative, organizational, and planning skills and gifts in addition to superb pastoral, preaching and teaching gifts. This is a strong individual accustomed to working with a team of staff and lay leaders as together they develop consensus around our mission and vision, then together develop annual strategic plans. The pastors then oversee the team in the execution of that plan.
V. Ideal Candidate
• Ordained with a M.Div. from an accredited seminary.
• Minimum 5-10 years Pastoral Staff experience, preferably in a church larger than OICC.
• Ideally, 3-5 years proven experience in a student ministry that included reaching out to irreligious people and making disciples.
• An outstanding communicator who intelligently and imaginatively takes Biblical truth and provides avenues of application that the congregation understands.
• Is interesting in the possibility of growing into a Senior pastor position here or elsewhere.
• Committed to intergenerational ministry.
• Thrives in environments with wide denominational, theological and cultural diversity.
• Appreciation and ideally experience with a broad range of worship styles including liturgical, propositional and experiential.
• Able to give biblical perspective and build consensus and then organize and mobilize other leaders behind solutions.
• Must have proven ability to enlist, coordinate, and lead volunteer efforts accomplish large and small projects with excellence.
• Must have proven discipline and flexibility to prioritize and execute vital ministries.
• Must have significant training, proven gifting, and a commitment to both professional and faith based counseling approaches.
• Able to take direction and receive feedback.
• Committed to the holistic integration of creativity, intellect and spirit.
• A heart to reach the world, but the gifts and calling to disciple and shepherd believers.
• Must be wholeheartedly supportive and engaged with the mission and vision of OICC and our four initiatives.
OICC provides compensation commensurate with other churches with similar positions. Determination of placement in the salary range will include consideration of academic degrees, training, and experience. A parsonage is offered as part of the compensation package.
TO APPLY SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING
1) A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
2) A resume, which includes the following information.
Professional Ministry Experience
Employment and salary history
Three (3) references
3) A brief essay describing your journey in the Christian faith.
Please include difficult situations and challenges that have most shaped you
into who you are as a Christian and Pastor.
4) CD, Mp3 or audio link to an online audio file of one of your sermons
Send resumes and written responses to the attention of
Pastor Dick Staub.
Eastsound, WA 98245
Or email with attachments to
SUBJECT LINE OF EMAIL SHOULD READ:
OICC Associate Pastor For Congregational Life Search
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Associate PastorNew Life Church of Central Michigan
- MT. PLEASANT, Michigan
- September 23
Lead Team PastorDestiny Harvest Church
- Columbia, Maryland
- September 22
Co-Director/Co-Pastor of Youth Ministries (Jr High/High School)New Venture Christian Fellowship
- Oceanside, California
- September 21
Director of Family and Youth MinistryFirst Congregational Church of Redlands CA
- Redlands, California
- September 20
Part Time Community Life PastorWest Hills Community Church
- Salem, Oregon
- September 20
Orcas Island Community Church
Orcas Island is beautiful. Island Magazine calls it one the top ten islands in the world to call home and Orcas Island Community church (OICC) has served the people of Orcas Island for 131 years. If you live on Orcas Island you probably already know about us ~ why not stop by and get personally acquainted? If you plan on visiting the island, be sure to visit a place where you’ll find a home for warm hearts, active minds and hungry souls. The people in this vibrant, loving church are eager to pursue God in the company of friends for the b More...