PASTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Pastor of Student Ministries
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
YOUTH MINISTRY MISSION: Lawrence Free Methodist is wholeheartedly committed to the mission of introducing adolescents to Jesus Christ and helping them wrestle through the doubting periods necessary for ownership of their faith.
The Pastor of Student Ministries is a full-time professional youthworker who works alongside the pastoral staff, volunteer leaders, parents of teens, and youth organizations to make an impact in Douglas County through outreach and discipleship. This person will recruit, train, and lead a team of adults to help middle school and high school students discover their identity in Christ to design, implement and lead a Christ-centered, biblically-rooted ministry to help kids reach their God-given potential.
A. Core values:
- Authentic relationship Jesus Christ and passion to place Him first, both privately and publically.
- Living according to and communicating the whole Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Genuine love for teens and their families.
- Unrelenting passion for ministry to middle school and high school students.
- Unique calling and spiritual gifts relevant to leadership of youth ministry.
- Prior youth ministry experience and God's affirming blessing on those ministries.
- Ability to relate well to and motivate middle school and high school students.
- Passion for working closely with parents to develop family-based ministry model.
- Desire to partner with like-minded youth organizations to introduce adolescents to Jesus Christ and help them grow in their faith.
- Carry out the mission under the authority of Scripture and relying on the Holy Spirit to empower the ministry.
B. Have a sound knowledge of Scripture and an ability to teach effectively to students and apply Scriptural principles in all areas of ministry.
C. Demonstrate an authentic relationship with Jesus.
- Firm understanding that young people are followers and modeling is the key to discipleship.
- Demonstration of authentic faith through personal life and marriage (if applicable).
D. Be a team player.
- With youth ministry volunteers, student leaders and parents.
- With church and pastor staff
- With LFMC community
- With the Body of Christ and youth ministries in Lawrence.
E. Have strong organizational skills, self-motivated and self-focused.
F. Be able to recruit and lead a large team of volunteers to accomplish ministry goals.
- Praying for young people
- Going where kids are, building personal relationships with them, winning the right to be heard and sharing our lives and the Good News of Jesus Christ with them.
- Inviting kids to personally respond to this Good News and loving them regardless of their response.
- Nurturing kids so they might grow in their love for Christ and the knowledge of God’s word and become people who can share their faith with others.
- Helping young people develop the skills, assets and attitudes to reach their full God-given potential.
- Encouraging kids to live connected to the Body of Christ by being an active member of LFMC.
- Encouraging adults to engage in the lives of students to help combat the systematic abandonment they experience in the culture at large.
G. Have a four-year undergraduate degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., education, leadership, child development, family and/or children’s ministries), have at least three years of ministry training and/or experience that is appropriate to these responsibilities, and have a continuous desire to be learning in order to become a more effective spiritual leader of teens.
H. Research and develop innovative approaches to reaching uncommitted, disinterested kids in Lawrence. Partner with Young Life and other local youth outreach organizations to reach adolescents of all social, cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
I. Observe the highest standards of stewardship of all the resources placed in our trust
J. Be in agreement with the doctrinal position of the Lawrence Free Methodist Church.
III. MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
A. Provide leadership and oversight to the spiritual formation of Lawrence teens through incarnational ministry.
- Cast Vision: Promote a city-wide vision of reaching adolescents for Jesus Christ and helping them grow in their faith.
- Collaborate: Work with the other pastors to develop strategies that support family ministry (e.g., collaborate with pastors to develop a strategy for the spiritual development of children from preschool through high school graduation). Partner with like-minded youth outreach organizations to introduce adolescents to Jesus Christ and help them grow in their faith.
- Implement Strategy: Develop and implement strategies that encourage teens to discover their identity in Christ, worship Him, become rooted in His Word, participate in caring small group communities, share their faith with others and serve within the community.
- Provide Leadership: Recruit, train and equip volunteer youth leaders and student leaders. Oversee, support and develop the skills of the volunteer youth ministry team in order to accomplish the mission of introducing adolescents to Jesus and helping them wrestle through the doubting periods necessary for ownership of their faith. Encourage the welfare and spiritual health of those who do this ministry, that they may minister out of a consistent and growing relationship with Christ and His followers.
- Prepare and oversee the youth ministry budget
- Evaluate: Work with key youth ministry leaders, volunteers and parents to regularly evaluate the ministry’s effectiveness in introducing adolescents to Jesus Christ and helping them grow in their faith.
B. Build relationships teens and their parents
- Build relationships with students and their families.
- Work closely with parents to keep them informed of the vision of the ministry and provide support, encouragement and training to parents of teens.
- Initiate relationships with new families, making sure that students are welcomed to be part of the ministry and parents are informed about youth group opportunities.
C. Actively participate in the life of Lawrence Free Methodist Church
- Attend weekly church staff meetings and other meetings as needed.
- Attend worship services weekly, assisting in leading as requested by the senior pastor.
- Build and maintain relationships with adult peers for the purpose of spiritual edification and accountability.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Family Care Pastor (Student Ministry Focus)Evangel Church
- Lewistown , Pennsylvania
- January 20
Student Ministries CoordinatorNewbreak Church
- San Diego, California
- January 20
Student Ministry Director - 1736MinisterSearch
- Doylestown, Pennsylvania
- January 20
Youth PastorPrivate Profile
- Albany, Oregon
- January 20
Youth Pastor - Full TimeBeulah Alliance Church
- Edmonton, Alberta
- January 19