Youth & Family Minister Job Description
To build and lead a dynamic and comprehensive, Christ centered, program for students 6th through 12th grades and their families. A significant focus will be to connect families together. To build the bridge between parent and child
and to help build healthy families. As a member of the ministerial staff, the Youth and Family Minister reports to the Lead Minister.
- Maintain Youth and Family Ministry files describing programs, activities, and curriculum
- Collaborate with office staff to include youth and family schedules, programs and event information into the weekly church newsletter.
- Maintain Youth Ministry related pages on the youth Facebook group page and the church website including schedules, programs and event information.
- Maintain regular contact with students and families via email, text messaging and phone calls.
Plan, implement, and oversee Youth Ministry program for students in the sixth grade and above:
- Research and review curriculum for “Sunday School” - Middle and High School Youth Group and other areas of Christian Education that relate to youth ministry.
- Plan and coordinate classes for Middle and High School Youth Groups on Sunday and weeknights.
- Lead and oversee a Middle and High school youth ministry program including weekly gatherings, Sunday mornings, weekly lunches in the schools and other gatherings for fellowship and/or service.
- Plan and lead retreats/lock-ins and summer trips for both Middle and High School youth working with parents and volunteers.
- Promote all youth ministry and youth-related Christian Education events and offerings using personal contact and various means of publicity.
- Recruit, train and support volunteers to work in all aspects of youth ministry including Small Group leaders, Sunday School Teachers and Youth Group Mentors.
- Assist in worship services, as needed
- Recruit, train, and support youth to assist with worship services.
- Plan, recruit participants, and implement special Youth related worship services.
- Develop an annual budget to include all expenses of the Youth Ministry program.
- Submit monthly report on ministry expenditures.
Mentor Youth and Families
Serve as a youth mentor:
- Make regular contact with theWell youth and families
- Contact visitors and their families to introduce them to theWell programs.
- Provide emergency and ministry care for all youth and their families.
- Establish and maintain personal relationships with members of these age groups and their families through participation in Youth Ministry activities including youth events, family events, church functions.
- Work with the local community groups and schools to identify mentorship opportunities in the community
- Engage in continual learning to stay abreast of current ideas about youth ministries by attending appropriate workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- A strong Christian faith that is nurtured by worship, Bible study and prayer
- A Bachelor’s degree and/or certification in Youth and/or Family Ministry is desired
- Experience working as a servant-leader in Youth and Family ministry programs that require engaging students in the program, developing student leaders, organizing service projects and youth programs
- Demonstrated ability to work positively and energetically
- Commitment to working in a team staff environment
- Proven track record in building relationships with youth and their families
- Great interpersonal skills
- Verifiable references and background check
Physical and Travel Requirements:
- Must be able to participate physically in youth activities at a moderate level
- Travel requirements would be 2-3 weeks total during a calendar year (a few weekends and perhaps longer stretches of time for mission work)
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a salary range commensurate with experience.