The occupant of this full-time, specialized ministry position serves as the director of Glen Mar Church’s music ministry. The music ministry at Glen Mar Church inspires its congregation and visitors to worship God and creates opportunities for them to become
more deeply rooted in Christ. The director of music collaborates with Glen Mar’s part-time music ministry staff and volunteer directors to provide music and worship leadership for each of Glen Mar’s four distinct weekly worship services, as well as festival
services throughout the year.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Pastor for Worship and Glen Mar’s worship design teams, works to plan creative and inspiring worship services that invite people to grow in their understanding of and relationship with God. Selects music appropriate to the theme
of each worship service and/or sermon series.
- Directs several of Glen Mar Church’s primary choirs, ensembles, instrumental groups or contemporary bands (see “Knowledge, skill and ability” below).
- Recruits, equips and supervises volunteer directors and participants in music ministry.
- Works collaboratively with part-time music staff and volunteer directors to schedule choirs, ensembles, soloists, and bands to provide leadership in worship.
- Supports Glen Mar Church’s goal to integrate children and youth into the full worshiping life of the church.
- Works with part-time music staff to develop the music budget, and coordinates the selection and purchase of music, music resources, musical instruments and equipment, and the services of outside instrumentalists.
- Oversees the maintenance of Glen Mar’s music library and musical instruments
- Attends regular staff meetings, retreats, and church leadership gatherings
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- A love of God and a desire to help members and visitors grow in their faith
- A broad knowledge of church music genres, including, but not limited to, sacred choral music, traditional hymnody, contemporary, gospel and global music
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work with and nurture musicians across a spectrum of skill levels, seeking excellence in worship, not perfection
- Ability to do several of the following effectively (with remaining responsibilities to be shared by part-time and volunteer directors):
- Serve as a worship leader in a contemporary worship setting, inspiring people to seek and respond faithfully to the living God
- Serve as director of one or more of the following: Glen Mar’s contemporary bands; Glen Mar’s primary choral groups; Glen Mar’s instrumental ensembles, including its handbell choirs
- Arrange and score music for use in worship
- Support worship with accompaniment skills (piano and/or organ)
- Ability to select music that is consistent with the theology of The United Methodist Church
- Reports to the Pastor for Worship, the Lead Pastor, and the SPRC as requested.
- Supervises and evaluates part-time music staff.
- Works collaboratively with all the paid and unpaid staff and servants of the church.
Glen Mar Church is a growing United Methodist Congregation located in Ellicott City, MD. We hold four worship services each weekend, with an average weekly attendance around 700. We are seeking to hire a full-time Director of Music. We currently employ a
part-time accompanist and will be seeking to hire a half-time Assistant Director of Music once the Director is in place. Additional application materials (employment application and background check form) can be found at http://glenmarumc.org/employment/.
Interested applicants should submit these documents, along with a résumé and cover letter, to Barbara Julian, Minister for Operations, at email@example.com.