Director of Middle School Ministry
Position: Middle School Ministry (Ignite) Team Leader
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Salary: $44,000 with benefits (subject to increase with experience)
Denomination: Multi-Denominational Church*
Saint Matthew is excited to present a position for Middle School Ministry (Ignite) Team Leader at a large church with a weekly attendance of 550-650 and located in a great Bay Area community.
Saint Matthew is a multi-denominational, multi-generational and multi-ethnic congregation with a long history of a love for students of all ages and their families. Our heart is not only to see our own young people become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ and daily missionaries for God’s Kingdom, but to also reach the students and their families in the surrounding community. We would love to see the lives of students and the culture of our schools transformed in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord.
The right person for this position will model a love for Christ (Up), a commitment to the Christian community (In) and a passion to reach the lost and the least (Out). We want to develop a model of evangelism, discipleship, and mission that is organic, low maintenance and reproducible. This person will take the young disciples who have been developed in our Children’s Ministry (Spark), help them mature in our Middle School Ministry (Ignite), and prepare to be trained and mentored into today’s and tomorrow’s Christian leaders (Forge). This person will be joining together with the full time staff in the Children’s and High School Ministries to form a pathway of discipleship and mission that will last these young disciples whole lives long.
We have great facilities and are well resourced to reach well beyond the central campus of Saint Matthew. The person leading this ministry needs to love students, wants them to love the Lord and His Church, and needs to be a high-energy person with a disciple’s heart and have an entrepreneurial, missional spirit.
The Mission of Saint Matthew is to invite people to meet Jesus, form friendships and serve others by the power of the Holy Spirit. This person will be a member of our staff and share in the vision and direction of the congregation as a whole.
Walnut Creek is an affluent metropolitan area, which exists in very close proximity to less affluent neighborhoods and people groups. We see this entire region as our parish, and want to create a middle school ministry that can meet the needs of young people from every part of our region. There are four middle schools (three public and one Christian) within a two and a half miles of our campus, and we have young people coming to our ministry from even further away than these schools.
Walnut Creek is a great community with all the amenities you could need or want, and it is very close to the larger Bay Area where opportunities of every type abound. If you are looking for a great community and a great church in which to serve the Lord, raise a family, and make a real Kingdom impact, this could be the place for you.
*Saint Matthew is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). We are also members of the Willow Creek Association and Mosaix (Multi-Ethnic) Network. We have pastors on our staff from the Presbyterian Church USA and the United Methodist Church as well.
- Develop, lead and oversee a reproducible means by which young people can be discipled as Christ-followers and trained to be everyday missionaries.
- Recruit, train and create accountable relationships with student ministry missional leaders.
- Prayerfully plan and develop targeted missional communities which can reach middle school teens and their families where they are.
- Create a regular rhythm in the lives of these students and their families for worshipping God, developing Christian community and daily missional living with the larger Christian community of Saint Matthew and beyond.
- Plan and administrate an annual budget within the congregation’s unified budget.
- Regularly meet with student and adult leaders for mutual strengthening, encouragement and comfort.
- Participate in weekly staff prayer times and staff meetings.
- Attend and support church-wide events where all staff are expected to participate.
- Invest in the lives of students and their families in the community.
- Devote regular time to your own personal and spiritual growth.
- The Middle School Ministry Team Leader will report directly to the Teen Ministry Team Leader.
- Be a committed follower of Jesus Christ who demonstrates a desire to be an everyday missionary for God’s kingdom.
- Committed to the Mission of Saint Matthew and its leaders.
- Must love students and their families, love being with them, and can be a model of a mature Christian disciple and Kingdom missionary.
- Embraces the Scripture’s invitation to relationship with God and challenge to represent Christ in all we do. Is open to the leading of the Holy Spirit and believes in God’s supernatural power being available to all God’s children.
- The desire and proven ability to perform all the duties and skills listed above.
- Positive, flexible, and servant-hearted (our leadership values).
- A minimum of three years’ experience with demonstrable effectiveness in leading a student ministry of at least 75 students is preferred.
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- Needs to have strong leadership/management skills.
- Excellent communication skills – oral and written.
- A team player – someone who works well with a team-minded staff and does whatever is needed for the team.
- A person who will willing to be in accountable relationships and holds others accountable (for mutual strengthening, encouragement and comfort – 1 Corinthians 14:3).
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship Leader & Student Ministries PastorEastLake Community Church
- Venice, California
- October 28
Student Ministries PastorEastLake Community Church
- Venice, California
- October 28
Pastor of High School MinistryThe Bridge Bible Church
- Bakersfield, California
- October 27
Worship and Associate PastorPataskala Grace Church
- Pataskala, Ohio
- October 26
Student Ministry PastorHighlands Church
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- October 25