Vision for this Position
Markey Church is looking to partner with a high capacity individual that can lead all of our efforts in ministry with families, students and kids. This person will cast vision, train and lead volunteers and implement a holistic discipleship and outreach
initiative under the Mission, Vision and Strategy of Markey Church. The Pastor of FSK will work directly with the Lead Pastor, but will be highly self-motivated and expected to run with all areas of ministry development under their supervision.
Purpose + Function
The Pastor of Family, Students & Kids (FSK) will provide strategic vision, leadership and oversight to Markey Church in all of our efforts to minister to families, students and kids in Roscommon County. Working with the Director of Kids Ministry, key volunteer
leaders and the Lead Pastor, the Pastor of FSK will create and implement a holistic and comprehensive plan for discipleship and outreach among the families, students and kids that are part of Markey Church.
Qualification + Experience
- A fully-devoted follower of Jesus Christ, both in practice and belief
- Deep administrative and organizational experience
- Ability to thrive in a high-paced, relationally oriented environment
- Proven skill in organization including ability to prioritize, manage, and follow through with multiple and simultaneous demands
- Exceptional skills and experience in coordinating projects from an idea through implementation
- Passion for excellence in both verbal and written communication
- A robust theology of family ministry, family discipleship, youth ministry, kids ministry and local church ministry
- Previous experience (3+ years) working with families, students & kids in a local church setting
- Previous experience (3+ years) working in a supervisory or management position
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently
- Must be willing to work hard, yet Sabbath regularly
- Be highly driven and ambitious, yet have a heart full of empathy for the brokenness and unique opportunities of our area
- Have a strong sense of marketing and branding
- Must have a sense of humor and be willing to have fun at work
- A Master of Divinity degree or equivalent
Cast vision, organize, implement and lead an engaging and holistic ministry to students (grades 6-12). Cast vision and oversee Markey Kids ministry, including all staff and volunteers. Cast vision, organize, implement and lead an engaging and holistic
ministry to families (traditional and non-traditional) through Markey Church.
Participate as a fully invested team member of Markey Church Staff
- Commit to the full life and ministry of Markey Church
- Contribute to all Markey Church staff meetings
- Participate in ministry wide events and activities as necessary
- Assist staff members, elders and ministry leaders with their work as it pertains to the mission, vision and strategy of Markey Church, and specifically the mission, vision and strategy of Markey Church Students, Kids and Family ministry.
- If gifted in the area of preaching, be willing to preach on average 5-10 Sundays/year in both Sunday morning worship gatherings
- All other work as assigned by the Lead Pastor
Student Ministry (50%)
- Cast vision, organize, implement and lead a holistic ministry to students (grades 6-12) in Roscommon County in harmony with the Mission, Vision and Strategy of Markey Church
- Lead & train volunteer student ministry leaders
- Develop a creative, discipleship-driven, relational student ministry that connects with area students
Kids Ministry (25%)
- Cast vision, organize, implement and lead a holistic ministry to kids (age 0-grade 6) in Roscommon County in harmony with the Mission, Vision and Strategy of Markey Church
- Lead & train volunteer kids ministry leaders
- Oversee the development of a creative, discipleship-driven, relational kids ministry that connects with area children
Family Ministry (25%)
- Cast vision, organize, implement and lead a holistic ministry to Families in Roscommon County in harmony with the Mission, Vision and Strategy of Markey Church
- Lead & train volunteer family ministry leaders
- Develop a creative, discipleship-driven, relational family ministry that connects with area families (specifically those families with students & kids at home)
Payroll Status: Full-time, Competitive Salary (DOE) + Generous Benefits (Health Care, Retirement, Expense Accounts, Mileage Reimbursement, etc.)
Supervisor: Lead Pastor
Send your current Resume or CV + Cover Letter stating why you are (1) interested in this particular role and (2) why you think you may be a good fit for this role to email@example.com
We’ll be accepting application materials until the position is filled. Please be patient with us; discernment takes time.
About Markey Church
Markey Church exists to help connect people to God and to other people. We do this by helping people take their next step into a growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ. We’ve been around for over one hundred years as an organized faith community,
but we believe that our best years are always ahead of us. We are part of The American Baptist Churches USA and we affirm their statements of Belief and Identity. Furthermore, we’re connected locally with The American Baptist Churches of Michigan and we
affirm their Vision and Values.
We are an evangelical AND ecumenical faith community that values mission, diversity and depth. We’re known locally as a generous and loving community who accepts all who walk through our doors. Also, we have a local reputation for showing the love and
hope of Jesus to our county through tangible expressions like building houses, growing food, feeding people and assisting those in crisis. You can find out more about us at markeychurch.org
About This Position
Markey Church has a long history of vibrant student ministry in a landscape where most local churches have very little to offer middle and high school students and their parents. After having several part-time Youth Ministers on staff over the past 20 years,
we’re looking to move ahead with a new vision for family ministry within our context by partnering with a high-capacity individual that can lead us into a vibrant Family Ministry, Student Ministry & Kids Ministry as our “Pastor of FSK”. This will be the first
time in our 100+ year history that Markey Church has had two full-time pastors on staff. We believe that God has uniquely equipped us to reach out to families, students and kids in our area with the hope and love of Jesus Christ. We’re looking for someone
who can take this vision and run with it, while bringing the people of Markey Church along for the ride by leading, training and equipping us to do the ministry of the local church. If you are ambitious, gifted, confident, intelligent, driven, full of compassion
and have a deep heart for helping parents be better parents, students knowing Jesus, kids knowing God’s love and the Church being on mission in the world, then this position might be for you.
About Roscommon County
Roscommon County is the gateway to the woods of Northern Michigan, the Mackinaw Bridge, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and beyond. We’re home to two of the largest inland lakes in the Mitten State, Houghton Lake and Higgins Lake. We are a rural-resort
community that sees our largest influx of people in the summer months. People live here because of our wooded terrain, perfect for hiking and hunting, our waterways, perfect lake living in both winter and summer, and our natural wildlife beauty. In the winter
months there’s plenty of cross-country skiing to be had at the Cross Country Ski Headquarters (recently profiled in
Outside Magazine), snowshoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling and other North-Woods activities. In the summer months there are lakes, lakes, lakes (swimming, boating, water-skiing, sailing, etc.).
Many people choose to live here for the slower life-style and small-town community. We’re home to the Houghton Lake School District and Roscommon Area Public Schools, both of which rank in the top 40 school districts in the state, according to Bridge Magazine
(39 & 20, respectively). Additionally, there are private and charter school options. Like many rural communities, our challenges revolve around a lack of year-round, entry-level employment and high rates of poverty. We see the effects of poverty play out
in our faith community and our broader community on a daily basis. There are many challenges, yet many opportunities, for a vibrant and growing ministry to those that call our County home.
You can find a complete job description in pdf form by going to http//markeychurch.org/about-the-church/staff/pastor-of-family-students-kids/
Associate Pastor, Youth Pastor, Kids Pastor, Family Pastor