Lead Finance Manager
First Baptist Church Decatur (FBCD)
This part-time position of 20-25 hours per week reports to the Director of Operations and Finance and works closely with the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Finance Committee.
Key Areas of Responsibility
This position is responsible for applying accepted accounting principles and standards to perform routine accounting functions involving payroll, accounts payable, financial statements, bank accounts, employee benefits, tax reporting, and individual contributor’s
records. Serves as team lead and directs tasks for one part-time finance resource.
Primary Tasks Include:
Offerings & Special Gifts
- Counting and depositing weekly offerings
- Posting offerings to member records
- Providing reports to staff & committees
- Preparing quarterly and annual member contribution statements
- Maintaining offering envelope listing and ordering quarterly envelope mailings
- Reconciling online offerings posted to bank account
- Maintaining member pledges
- Preparing and sending acknowledgements of memorial contributions.
- Counting and depositing income from tuition, building rental, trip payments, etc.
- Reconciling petty cash
- Reconciling online payments posted to bank account
- Maintaining employee records
- Preparing and distributing semi-monthly payroll
- Making federal and state tax deposits
- Submitting Flexible Spending Arrangement online reports and contributions payments
- Submitting 403(b) contributions and online reporting
- Preparing and submitting quarterly federal and state tax reports
- Preparing and submitting annual tax reports
- Preparing and submitting forms W-2
- Providing necessary reports for annual workers’ compensation audit
- Preparing vendor payments on a weekly basis
- Preparing and submitting forms 1099 as applicable
- Maintaining files for accounts payable, payroll, etc.
- Communicating with broker and employees regarding employee benefits, including medical, dental, life, and disability coverage plus 403(b) retirement plan and Section 125 Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- Conducting annual open enrollment for all benefits
- Deducting appropriate employee premiums from payroll checks
- Submitting changes and deletions to insurance carriers
- Submitting annual employee census information to broker and carriers
- Completing annual non-discrimination testing for Section 125 plan
- Preparing and posting monthly journal entries
- Preparing and distributing monthly financial statements
- Attending monthly Finance Committee meetings
- Communicating with Finance Committee Chair & Vice-Chair; providing needed reports for budgeting, etc.
- Reconciling banking statements
- Reconciling sundry designated accounts
- Communicating with CPA regarding annual audit; provide necessary reports for conducting the audit
- Maintaining chart of accounts and annual budgets
- Maintaining corporate liability and property insurance
- Procuring certificates of insurance from independent service providers or renters of church facilities
- Reviewing and maintaining contracts and leases for various services and equipment (copiers, elevator maintenance, pest control, phone service, postage meter, folding machine, etc.)
- Filing annual corporate registrations with Secretary of State for First Baptist Church of Decatur, Inc., and Decatur First Baptist Benevolent Corporation
- Filing updated corporate resolutions and signature pages for bank accounts
- Knowledge of accepted accounting practices and principles; strong preference for someone with 3-5 years financial accounting experience with a non-profit
- Expertise working with multiple workplace technologies and financial management applications including ACS (Automated Church System or similar application) and Excel.
- Experience managing payroll operations and benefits planning/administration
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience in effectively communicating key data and concepts to leadership and staff
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working relationships with other staff, church volunteers and members
- Demonstrated ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive issues in all church matters
Those interested should email cover letter, resume, and any other materials that will help us better understand your gifts, priorities and passions to
Van Smith, email@example.com by April 24, 2015. Please refer any questions about the position to Van Smith by email.