Quest United Methodist Church in Champaign-Urbana is a 10 year, young and growing congregation (~200 attendance) with a large children's ministry (~60 kids). We're looking to hire a full-time Director of Student Ministries who would lead our Kids Quest ministry
(grades 1-5) under the supervision of our Kids Quest Director as well as create, grow and lead a Quest Student Ministry (grades 6-12). You can learn more about Quest at www.questwired.com. A full job description is below:
Job Vision: To effectively lead Kids Quest grades 1-5 and create, grow and lead a Quest Student Ministry (grades 6-12) so all students are inspired and helped to become wholehearted followers of Jesus.
Primary Purpose: To equip and empower Questers to serve Christ through Quest’s Student Ministry (grades 1-12) and to create an engaging environment where students and their families are safe to explore and grow in a relationship with Jesus.
Personal Responsibility: To model the life of a growing follower of Jesus (according to Quest’s membership covenant) that positively represents Jesus, Quest, and the broader United Methodist Church.
Professional Responsibility: To envision, develop, lead, direct, and provide unity and consistency for the entire student ministry (grades 1-12) of Quest.
Primary Ministry Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and direct the activities of the Kids Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest during Quest worship service(s) (typically Sunday mornings):
- Oversee the curriculum for age specific classes for grades 1-12 and adequately staff teachers and helpers for those classes
- Be familiar with and implement the child check-in/check-out and other safety procedures for grades 1-12.
- Envision and strategically build a mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest from the ground up
- Recruit and direct a Student Ministry leadership team and oversee regular meetings.
- Work with Lead Pastor and Student Ministry leadership team to create and cast a vision for a Quest mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12)
- Work with Lead Pastor and Student Ministry leadership team to create a strategic plan to develop a thriving mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest.
- Work with Lead Pastor and Student Ministry leadership team to set benchmarks (measurable and achievable) for progress over a 2-year timeline.
- Lead Questers to follow through on the strategic plan to build a mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest
- Oversee the ongoing Student Ministries (grades 1-12) at Quest:
- Attend Kid’s Quest Lead Team meetings, share upcoming events, goals and concerns, and partner with them to attain goals and grow the Kid’s Quest ministry (grades 1-5).
- Coach (shepherd, encourage, train, hold accountable, etc.) members of the Kids Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) leadership teams on an ongoing basis
- Establish and maintain adequate security procedures, including check-in/check-out procedures and background checks on leaders and volunteers.
- Develop, recruit, and nurture sufficient new leaders and volunteers for Kids Quest (grades 1-5) and Quest’s Student ministry (grades 6-12) on an ongoing basis and use Questers in their areas of giftedness
- Effectively communicate with parents and volunteers activities of Kid’s Quest and Quest’s Student ministry and address and respond to any questions or concerns
- Advocate for Quest’s Student Ministries (grades 1-12) to students and their families as a core value within the broader Quest community
- Promptly report to the lead pastor as appropriate any pastoral concerns of Quest students (grades 1-12) or their families
- Lead students (grades 1-12) to become wholehearted followers of Jesus through Quest’s strategy of Connect, Grow, Serve, and Go:
- Connect: Build relationships with students and their families to lead them into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and Christ's body at Quest
- Grow: Disciple students so they can witness to and disciple others
- Serve: Provide opportunities for students to build the body of Christ through service to their peers and the broader Quest community
- Go: Provide opportunities for students to Go beyond the “walls of the church” as the hands and feet of Christ in the community and world.
- Fulfill administrative responsibilities:
- Hold regular office hours during the week and attend and participate in relevant necessary meetings (regular coaching with your supervisor and staff meetings, etc.)
- Create regular and ongoing publications to communicate Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) and Quest’s Student Ministry (grades 6-12) activities, praises, needs, and concerns to volunteers and parents
- Be available for pastoral care emergencies and other such pastoral needs relating to any student (grades 1-12) or a student’s family within Quest, especially when the lead pastor is unavailable
- Be a team player willing to carry one’s fair share in terms of time, energy, prayer, and resources
- Offer input and suggestions to Kid’s Quest Director in regards to budget, planning and ideas for growth in Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) as well as oversee all resources dedicated to Quest’s Student Ministry (grades 6-12), including developing, submitting, and
following a budget
- Other duties as assigned by the Kid’s Quest Director or Lead Pastor
Special Event Responsibilities:
- Work with the Kid’s Quest Director to expand Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) beyond students to the entire family
- Create opportunities for families to know and support one another through events beyond Sunday mornings.
- Provide training for families to lead their kids/students on their faith journey (e.g., parenting seminars, leading kids/students to Christ training, etc.)
- Resource kids/students and families with opportunities to serve together within the church and community (specifically during Faith in Action Sundays)
- Mobilize Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) to reach beyond Quest’s direct ministry
- Create kid/student outreach events in the Champaign-Urbana community in a pre-evangelistic way (e.g. Vacation Bible School, Questapalooza, after school programs, etc.)
- Make Quests Student Ministries (grades 1-12) available to the broader church for kingdom purposes
Preferred Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in education or children’s, family, or youth ministry. Experience leading children and/or youth and managing volunteers in a church or para-church ministry. Supervision: The Director of Quest’s Student Ministries
reports directly to the Kid’s Quest Director (grades 1-5) and the Lead Pastor (grades 6-12) and is accountable to the Staff-Parish Team.
Time Commitment: Full time
Submit Resume to email@example.com