Quest United Methodist Church in Champaign-Urbana is a 10 year, young and growing congregation (~200 attendance) with a large children's ministry (~60 kids). We're looking to hire a full-time Director of Student Ministries who would lead our Kids Quest ministry (grades 1-5) under the supervision of our Kids Quest Director as well as create, grow and lead a Quest Student Ministry (grades 6-12). You can learn more about Quest at www.questwired.com. A full job description is below:
Job Vision: To effectively lead Kids Quest grades 1-5 and create, grow and lead a Quest Student Ministry (grades 6-12) so all students are inspired and helped to become wholehearted followers of Jesus.
Primary Purpose: To equip and empower Questers to serve Christ through Quest’s Student Ministry (grades 1-12) and to create an engaging environment where students and their families are safe to explore and grow in a relationship with Jesus.
Personal Responsibility: To model the life of a growing follower of Jesus (according to Quest’s membership covenant) that positively represents Jesus, Quest, and the broader United Methodist Church.
Professional Responsibility: To envision, develop, lead, direct, and provide unity and consistency for the entire student ministry (grades 1-12) of Quest.
Primary Ministry Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and direct the activities of the Kids Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest during Quest worship service(s) (typically Sunday mornings):
- Oversee the curriculum for age specific classes for grades 1-12 and adequately staff teachers and helpers for those classes
- Be familiar with and implement the child check-in/check-out and other safety procedures for grades 1-12.
- Envision and strategically build a mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest from the ground up
- Recruit and direct a Student Ministry leadership team and oversee regular meetings.
- Work with Lead Pastor and Student Ministry leadership team to create and cast a vision for a Quest mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12)
- Work with Lead Pastor and Student Ministry leadership team to create a strategic plan to develop a thriving mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest.
- Work with Lead Pastor and Student Ministry leadership team to set benchmarks (measurable and achievable) for progress over a 2-year timeline.
- Lead Questers to follow through on the strategic plan to build a mid-week Student Ministry (grades 6-12) at Quest
- Oversee the ongoing Student Ministries (grades 1-12) at Quest:
- Attend Kid’s Quest Lead Team meetings, share upcoming events, goals and concerns, and partner with them to attain goals and grow the Kid’s Quest ministry (grades 1-5).
- Coach (shepherd, encourage, train, hold accountable, etc.) members of the Kids Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) leadership teams on an ongoing basis
- Establish and maintain adequate security procedures, including check-in/check-out procedures and background checks on leaders and volunteers.
- Develop, recruit, and nurture sufficient new leaders and volunteers for Kids Quest (grades 1-5) and Quest’s Student ministry (grades 6-12) on an ongoing basis and use Questers in their areas of giftedness
- Effectively communicate with parents and volunteers activities of Kid’s Quest and Quest’s Student ministry and address and respond to any questions or concerns
- Advocate for Quest’s Student Ministries (grades 1-12) to students and their families as a core value within the broader Quest community
- Promptly report to the lead pastor as appropriate any pastoral concerns of Quest students (grades 1-12) or their families
- Lead students (grades 1-12) to become wholehearted followers of Jesus through Quest’s strategy of Connect, Grow, Serve, and Go:
- Connect: Build relationships with students and their families to lead them into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and Christ's body at Quest
- Grow: Disciple students so they can witness to and disciple others
- Serve: Provide opportunities for students to build the body of Christ through service to their peers and the broader Quest community
- Go: Provide opportunities for students to Go beyond the “walls of the church” as the hands and feet of Christ in the community and world.
- Fulfill administrative responsibilities:
- Hold regular office hours during the week and attend and participate in relevant necessary meetings (regular coaching with your supervisor and staff meetings, etc.)
- Create regular and ongoing publications to communicate Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) and Quest’s Student Ministry (grades 6-12) activities, praises, needs, and concerns to volunteers and parents
- Be available for pastoral care emergencies and other such pastoral needs relating to any student (grades 1-12) or a student’s family within Quest, especially when the lead pastor is unavailable
- Be a team player willing to carry one’s fair share in terms of time, energy, prayer, and resources
- Offer input and suggestions to Kid’s Quest Director in regards to budget, planning and ideas for growth in Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) as well as oversee all resources dedicated to Quest’s Student Ministry (grades 6-12), including developing, submitting, and following a budget
- Other duties as assigned by the Kid’s Quest Director or Lead Pastor
Special Event Responsibilities:
- Work with the Kid’s Quest Director to expand Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) beyond students to the entire family
- Create opportunities for families to know and support one another through events beyond Sunday mornings.
- Provide training for families to lead their kids/students on their faith journey (e.g., parenting seminars, leading kids/students to Christ training, etc.)
- Resource kids/students and families with opportunities to serve together within the church and community (specifically during Faith in Action Sundays)
- Mobilize Kid’s Quest (grades 1-5) and Student Ministry (grades 6-12) to reach beyond Quest’s direct ministry
- Create kid/student outreach events in the Champaign-Urbana community in a pre-evangelistic way (e.g. Vacation Bible School, Questapalooza, after school programs, etc.)
- Make Quests Student Ministries (grades 1-12) available to the broader church for kingdom purposes
Preferred Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in education or children’s, family, or youth ministry. Experience leading children and/or youth and managing volunteers in a church or para-church ministry. Supervision: The Director of Quest’s Student Ministries
reports directly to the Kid’s Quest Director (grades 1-5) and the Lead Pastor (grades 6-12) and is accountable to the Staff-Parish Team.
Time Commitment: Full time
Submit Resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children's Ministry DirectorCapshaw Baptist Church
- Harvest, Alabama
- October 21
Children's Ministry Director/PastorCornwall Church
- Bellingham, Washington
- October 20
Children's Ministry DirectorChrist Community Church
- West Chester, Pennsylvania
- October 20
Pastor of Children's MinistryChandler Christian Church
- Chandler, Arizona
- October 20
Youth PastorGrace Point Church
- Newtown, Pennsylvania
- October 20
Quest United Methodist Church
Quest's mission is to help everyday people become wholehearted followers of Jesus Quest was launched to reach a new people group in the Champaign-Urbana area - those who do not have a church home, who may be dissatisfied with the church, either by experience or perception, or who may be searching for God but disheartened by religion. This is why we exist as a church. In fact, we believe this mission is worth sacrificing for because a life lived in relationship with Jesus and with other followers of His is the best that life has to offer b More...