Evangelical United Methodist Church
Director of Student Life
Time: Full time
Reports to: Pastor of Family Life
- Preparing weekly message and learning experience for Merge (weekly gathering)
- Preparing weekly small group lesson & leader’s guide
- Teaching within in student leadership, summer Bible study, etc…
- Teaching at special events such as winter retreats and mission trip
- Interacting with students outside of regular programs
- Connecting with students and families on Sunday morning & Wednesday nights
- Providing pastor care to students and their families (As needed)
- Meeting with students and families for counseling (As needed)
- Praying regularly for students and their family
- Planning special events throughout the year including all retreats, mission trips, special outings, volunteer appreciation, etc…
- Communicating with volunteer leaders, church staff, parents and students directly
- Developing a budget for all events and maintaining good stewardship with resources
- Creating and developing programing ideas in conjunction with Family Life Pastor.
- Responding to questions via phone, email, Facebook in a timely manner.
- Sending letters, postcards, etc…to students and their families (as needed)
- Developing curriculum for small groups
- Developing teaching series for Merge
- Creating/Teaching new ministry tools for volunteers as well as training opportunities together
- Ensuing that the youth ministry is operating within the overall vision of EUM
- Overseeing the current youth ministry programs of Merge, small groups, Serve teams and student leadership
- Attending all necessary meetings- staff meetings, ministry board, Dessert Derby, etc.
- Helping to develop and empower the youth ministry team- both paid staff and volunteer staff
- Encouraging and empowering volunteers in their roles through monthly meetings, emails, one-on-one meeting, etc.
- Recruiting new volunteers to open positions, processing application, background checks, interviewing them and placing them in specific roles with appropriate training.
Qualities and Skills
- Learner: Someone who will at their core live into this call as a learner. We are looking for someone who is going to pursue personal and professional growth.
- Relational: Someone who will pursue personal and healthy relationships with students, leaders and parents as a primary way to build connection, buy-in, and discipleship.
- Vision for Youth Ministry: Someone who will come in with a pre-determine vision/philosophy for youth ministry that will be modified as the context demands.
- Understanding of Youth Culture: Someone who knows students and youth culture and has skills in connecting/listening to the ever-changing group of students.
- Bridge builder: Someone who can take God’s word/truth and connect it with the lives of students (6th-12th grades)
- Communicator: Someone who can communicate clearly, compassionately and concisely with students, leaders and parents.
- Character: Someone who has an outstanding character and a high degree of integrity.
- College Degree (Ministry Related is preferred)
- 2-3 Years of Youth Ministry Related Experience (In some Capacity)
Please send resumes or further question to Brian Zahasky (firstname.lastname@example.org)