PRIMARY OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
To manage the physical plant to support the ministries of the church and the needs of tenants. To schedule and supervise all custodial staff.
First Baptist Church is located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. Our church community of about 400 is a diverse group of people living in the city of Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs. The fulltime staff consists of four ministry leaders, two administrative staff, and two custodial staff. Staff and church members are dedicated to using all of the church’s resources to help people know and grow in their relationship with God through worship, community and outreach.
The church buildings are approximately 87,000 square feet, including the church sanctuary, a three-story classroom/office building, and an atrium-style entry that connects the sanctuary and classroom building. Different sections of the buildings were built in the 1880s, 1920s, and 1980s. Two long-term tenants occupy approximately one-quarter of the classroom building during the week.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- To have a strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- To agree with the statement of faith and discipleship process of First Baptist Church.
- To be a role model to other staff and lay volunteers.
Physical Plant Maintenance
- Work alongside and train custodial staff in cleaning of building and exterior maintenance, including:
-- Hard-surfaced and carpeted floors
-- Walls, doors, windows and woodwork in classroom, office, restroom and public areas
-- Collecting and hauling trash
-- Removing snow and de-icing sidewalks
-- Washing exterior windows
-- Cleaning up body fluid and bio-hazard spills
- Coordinate and work alongside custodial staff to set up rooms for regular events/services and special events.
- Complete repair projects such as replacing electrical receptacles/fixtures, plumbing repair/replacement, small carpentry projects, repair/replacement of interior or exterior door locks, masonry/plaster repair, and refinishing/painting.
- Order and maintain cleaning chemicals and supplies and consumable products used throughout the facility.
- Acquire and maintain custodial and maintenance equipment (such as brooms, dusters, vacuums, carpet cleaners, snow blowers, sidewalk sweepers, rakes/shovels, hoses, power tools, hand tools).
- Observe building conditions and take necessary actions to maintain or repair situations, performing repairs or contacting the proper repair company.
- Develop and maintain relationships with service/repair vendors to complete large-scale projects and routine inspections and maintenance of electrical, mechanical, elevator, fire/smoke detection, commercial kitchen, HVAC and heating systems.
- Ensure required daily, weekly, and seasonal maintenance and inspections are completed on boiler system.
- Manage bids and bid-taking process for work done by outside vendors (such as room refurbishment, electrical/mechanical system upgrades, painting, flooring, landscaping).
- Maintain facility security, building lock-up and unlocking, room opening and closing.
- Maintain the church’s parking areas and signage, and assist in ensuring compliance with parking regulations.
- Work with Business Manager to propose and plan for upkeep and replacement of wall and floor coverings, mechanical/electrical systems, doors and windows, and other larger-scale projects.
- Serve as first-line facility emergency contact 24x7.
- Interview potential new custodial hires.
- Work with custodial staff to develop a ministry vision in performance of custodial duties.
- Train and oversee custodial staff performance, including annual performance reviews.
- Schedule full and part-time custodial staff to ensure proper building security and custodial services are available to support ministry events, outside events, and tenant needs.
- Schedule service of church bus, maintain bus maintenance records, and keep bus fueled.
- Other duties as assigned by Business Manager and/or pastoral staff.
- Personal and personnel management skills.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work activities.
- High school diploma and two years of technical college training with four years of building maintenance experience.
- Experience training custodial staff and providing daily work orders.
- Experience operating all types of automatic and power cleaning and maintenance equipment.
- Experience repairing or replacing electrical and mechanical system components, completing small carpentry projects, and painting and refinishing rooms.
- Hold a valid driver’s license and regularly drive a motor vehicle.
- Knowledge of body fluid and bio-hazard cleanup.
- Knowledge of custodial principles, practices, and safety procedures.
- Ability to meet physical demands required of position, including ability to: Walk or stand for long periods of time. Bend, twist, squat, crawl and climb ladders in the course of duties. Lift 50-pound mop bucket to 30” height to dump in a sink, 50-pound box from floor level to waist multiple times, and 50-pound trash container to shoulder height to dump in dumpster. Use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- Desired: current Minnesota State 2nd class C boilers license, ability to diagnose and repair HVAC and heating equipment, ability to set up portable and stationary AV equipment.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Facilities ManagerChrist Church
- Rockaway, New Jersey
- January 12
Executive Director, ChristChurch PresbyterianChrist Church Presbyterian
- Atlanta, Georgia
- January 3
PastorThe Shepherd's Staff
- Anywhere, Texas
- December 30
Teacher, Pastor, Missionary, StaffOlive International School
- Beijing, Not Assigned
- August 23
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church is located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. Our church community of about 400 is a diverse group of people living in the city of Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs. The fulltime staff consists of four ministry leaders, two administrative staff, and two custodial staff. Staff and church members are dedicated to using all of the church’s resources to help people know and grow in their relationship with God through worship, community and outreach. More...