Eight years ago, The Gathering was founded with a vision of creating a compelling Christian community for new generations of people in St. Louis. We believe that "compelling" is the key word in our vision and strive to keep this at the heart of everything we do. As a part of the United Methodist Church, The Gathering is historically rooted while also practicing ministry in an innovative way that speaks to new generations. Since we opened our doors, we have experienced massive growth. We are a multi-site church with four unique campuses across the city, including BarChurch, a site geared towards reaching college-age people that meets at a bar near the campus of St. Louis University. The Gathering community welcomes people from all walks of life and meets people wherever they are in their faith.
To create a Christian community that is compelling for new generations of people in St. Louis.
To invite new people to become deeply committed followers of Christ.
We deepen our faith by following Christ through five shared practices:
- learning in CoreGroups
The Director of College-Age Ministry is tasked with evangelizing and aiding in the faith development of college-age people. This is done by leading college-age ministry activities at The Gathering, including BarChurch, a weekend worship experience and special events for young adults. This full-time ministry position reports to the Lead Site Pastor and is responsible for the continued growth of a dynamic ministry that develops college-age individuals to becoming deeply committed followers of Christ. The Director serves as Site Pastor for BarChurch and manages, equips and supports the College-Age Ministry Team (including college-age interns and BarChurch team).
1) Invite college-age people and young adults in the St Louis region to become deeply committed followers of Christ.
- Seek, build and develop relationships with individual college-age people, student organizations and groups on college campuses with the goal of helping college-age individuals begin and deepen their faith in Christ through The Gathering.
2) Develop and enhance The Gathering’s presence and reach at St. Louis University, Webster University, and Washington University through campus partnership and relationships.
3) Develop and execute ministry plan focused on growth of The Gathering’s college ministry and BarChurch
- Lead and oversee all aspects of weekly BarChurch worship service as Site Pastor, including preaching periodically
- Develop an annual ministry plan including goals, strategies, timeline, communication, budget, etc.
- Develop and grow SecondHome mentoring program. Recruit and train new hosts and providers.
- Implement ongoing best practices of social media (Facebook, Instagram, MailChimp, etc) to effectively invite and communicate with new generations.
- Create and manage College-Age Ministry and BarChurch budget
4) Recruit, develop, and lead College-Age Ministry Team
- Recruit, train, and equip new team members for BarChurch, SecondHome, internships and special events.
- Coordinate and delegate responsibilities among teams. Lead team through regular meetings, individual check-ins and by providing coaching and guidance (spiritual and logistical).
Hours and Expectations:
- This is a full-time exempt position (40+ hours/wk) with presence required for weekend worship. The Gathering offers a full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as a retirement savings plan.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Biblical Studies, higher education, or other ministry-related discipline
- Must be personally growing in a relationship with Christ and able to lead others in that journey
- Must have an authentic commitment to The Gathering’s vision, mission and practices
- Must be highly personable, engaging and relational
- Must be a strategic thinker who can organize systems and processes and team
As a result of this position, we expect:
- Growth and continuation of a dynamic and sustainable ministry for college-age individuals (18-24 yrs);
- Growth in weekly attendance at BarChurch
- Increase in the number of college-age individuals becoming deeply devoted followers of Christ as evidenced by engagement in the shared practices of The Gathering (i.e. Sunday worship, CoreGroups, Missions/Service, etc)
- Development of meaningful intergenerational relationships within the congregation
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Campus Pastor - 1767MinisterSearch
- Rockford Area, Illinois
- January 21
Campus PastorNewbreak Church
- San Diego, California
- January 20
Next Steps PastorBeach Church
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- January 19
Campus PastorBeulah Alliance Church
- Edmonton, Alberta
- January 19
Waterbury Campus PastorFaith Church
- New Milford, Connecticut
- January 17
The Gathering United Methodist Church is a growing, multi-site church that exists to create a Christian community that is compelling for new generations in St. Louis. In 2006, group of mission-minded people, including Rev. Matt Miofsky, began to have conversations about how a new church might transform the City of St. Louis. Together, they worked to bring this vision to life, and invite new generations of people together to become deeply committed followers of Christ. The Gathering community shares five practices: worship, learning in s More...