First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley, CA
Minister for University Engagement
Exempt, Full Time, Benefits
Expected Start Date: Early Summer 2015
Please apply directly to employer, rather than through this web site
1st Review Deadline (Priority Deadline): April 1st 2015
Rolling review upon receipt. Early applications are encouraged.
Position will remain open until filled.
THE CHURCH AND UNIVERSITY MINISTRIES
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley (First Pres) was founded the day before the incorporation of the city of Berkeley, on March 31, 1878, by 27 individuals wishing to minister to the budding university community. As the town of Berkeley grew, so did the church. We are a community of differing ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, and circumstances drawn together by the love of Jesus Christ. Through a foundational commitment to Christian Formation and Missional Engagement, we aim to grow followers of Christ, eager to be an expression of God’s faithful presence in the world. Just two blocks from the University of California Berkeley, First Pres is committed to engage the campus community with the gospel of Jesus Christ through a variety of existing, emerging, and potential initiatives.
In response to God's great love and for God's glory,
our vision is to sow the gospel of Jesus Christ through word, prayer, deed, and community,
cultivating personal transformation, social healing,
and cultural renewal through a movement of churches and ministries
that reconciles us, Berkeley, the University, the Bay Area, and the world to God in Jesus Christ.
FoCUS (Fellowship of College & University Students)
The FoCUS ministry has a long history at First Pres serving the local undergraduate community through weekly fellowship, worship and learning opportunities. In addition, students are encouraged to deepen their faith through annual retreats and regular small groups, as well as a service learning mission trip each Spring. There are also many opportunities for students to participate in the larger church community beyond worship, whether as volunteers with children and youth ministries, partners in various mission efforts, or in wider conversations about discipleship and vocation. A strong and diverse team of congregational volunteers serve as FoCUS Partners, mentoring students in their faith development.
Lilly Endowment Grant
First Pres is blessed to have recently received a grant from the Lilly Endowment to further our efforts to integrate faith and vocation. The grant period began January 2015, and will continue for 3 years. First Pres. is also blessed to own a home adjacent to the church facilities, where seven students currently live in an intentional community. Located at 242 Haste Street, we call this initiative the 2:42 (See also Acts 2:42) Housing Vocational Experience (HVE). Our hope is to provide a subset of university students with a holistic and spiritually informed vision for vocation through mentoring relationships, an international service-learning experience, and exposure to a variety of spiritual practices rooted in the contemplative Christian tradition.
To faithfully promote and develop a Christ-centered, church-based, and holistic ministry to the college and university community of Berkeley, CA.
- Lead, equip and shepherd the FoCUS undergraduate ministry.
- Oversee the Lilly Grant implementation and manage the relationship with the Lilly Endowment Inc. laying the foundation for a more long-term commitment to deepen the understanding and practice of Christian faith and vocation within the University community.
- Build on the long legacy of university ministry in ways that further engage and reinvigorate the congregation’s heart for the university.
- Conduct a thoughtful assessment of the greater University Christian community in Berkeley, and the current unmet needs, alongside assessment of First Pres’ unique strengths.
- Lead the visioning and development of growing First Pres University Ministries in unique ways that both play to First Pres’ strengths, and the present needs of the Berkeley Christian community.
- Investigate opportunities to grow relationships with other church and para-church University ministries in the Berkeley area, as well as relationships with University administration, faculty and staff.
- Develop and execute the overall teaching curriculum for FoCUS, working with the coordinator and other guest teachers to ensure continuity and quality.
- Continue to foster a safe and nurturing Christian community for students, through regular fellowship, promoting healthy social involvement.
- Meet in large and small group gatherings, as well as one-on-one to support ongoing discipleship and student development efforts.
- Plan for and lead various retreats to promote focused attention on students’ life in Christ.
- Equip FoCUS partners and student leaders to effectively encourage the integration of Christian faith and life through teaching and mentoring.
- Provide regular and emergency pastoral care and counseling for students and others within the College and University community, partnering with colleagues and the Berkeley Christian Counseling Center as necessary.
- Create content and offer spiritual guidance for the intentional Christian community that lives in the 2:42 House on the First Pres campus.
- Provide for general oversight and supervision of the 2:42 House community, meeting the program goals, including gathering weekly for a meal, fellowship, and group discussion.
- Design and lead various opportunities for students to connect faith and action through our local and global mission partnerships, including but not limited to the Berkeley Project, Do Justice Day(s), and an annual international mission/transformation experience.
- Share and interpret these experiences to the larger church community and its partners through a variety of creative means.
- Explore other ways to reach out to the University, its faculty, staff, graduate, and international communities, forging meaningful partnerships with other campus ministries, initiatives, and efforts wherever possible and appropriate.
- Liaison to, resource and encourage the Veritas Graduate Student Fellowship (currently student-led) and assist wherever possible.
- Assist First Pres as we seek to further realize our potential as a formative presence and provocative voice in the wider gospel movement on campus.
- Ensure the visibility of College and University Ministries in Sunday Worship, including periodic preaching and worship leadership responsibilities.
- Help to inspire, equip, and mobilize the church to meaningfully serve in the College and University context.
- Encourage and facilitate opportunities for intergenerational relationships between students, children, families, and older adults within the church, including the annual All Church Conference.
Leadership & Supervision
- Represent College and University Ministry at the senior staff level.
- Work with key staff, FoCUS partners, student leaders, and other volunteers to develop a vision for College and University Ministries that is commensurate with the larger First Pres vision, values and aspirations.
- Regularly pray for local Colleges and the University, the City of Berkeley, the local Christian Community, and the particular witness of First Pres.
- Supervise the University Ministries Coordinator, and University Ministries Intern (TBH).
- Manifest healthy attention to family, work, personal spiritual practices, and times of rest and recreation.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Direct Reports: University Ministries Coordinator, University Ministries Intern (TBH)
We are seeking someone with a theologian’s mind, an entrepreneur’s will, and a pastor’s heart. Someone who will be an enthusiastic supporter of the larger ministry of First Pres and its mission and vision statements, as well as its core values and aspirations
We desire someone with experience and passion to develop and maintain relationships with a wide variety of people: both undergraduate & graduate students, University administration, faculty and staff, other Berkeley University ministries (both church-based and para-church), as well as members of our diverse congregation.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree, and Master of Divinity, or higher
- At least four years of prior experience leading college or university ministry, including curriculum and event planning, speaking, and supervising other staff and volunteers
- Experience managing people, teams, and group processes; demonstrated ability to motivate others and delegate responsibility
- A growing and deepening faith in Jesus Christ
- Understands how to sensitively administer pastoral care to young adults
- Possesses a solid theology and philosophy of college and university ministry and how it fits into the larger life of the church
- Clear passion to engage students and the university
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing people, teams, and group process with an demonstrated ability to motivate others, delegate responsibility, and follow projects through to successful completion
HOW TO APPLY
- Find our application form at http://www.fpcberkeley.org/employment.asp
- Return this form with your Cover Letter and Resume to Bonnie Rauscher, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Bonnie Rauscher, First Presbyterian Church, 2407 Dana St., Berkeley, CA 94704.
1st Review Deadline (Priority Deadline): April 1st 2015
Rolling-review upon receipt. Early applications are encouraged.
Position will remain open until filled.
Job offer will be contingent on passing a criminal record background check.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
College PastorPrivate Profile
- College Town, Oklahoma
- October 19
Faith Formation CoordinatorTrinity Lutheran Church
- Kent, Ohio
- October 12
Student Ministries Campus Pastor(s)Parkview Christian Church
- Orland Park, Homer Glen, and New Lenox, Illinois
- October 7
Youth Pastor - Texas (12116)The Shepherd's Staff
- South USA, Texas
- October 3
Student PastorFirst Baptist Church Bloomfield
- Bloomfield, New Mexico
- September 29
First Presbyterian Church
We are a community thoughtfully engaged in our faith, embracing people of all ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, and circumstances. This is a place where questions can be asked, honest reflection is encouraged, creativity is cultivated, and where faith is not a formula, but a life lived. We seek to be engaged locally and around the world, to listen and to learn, to embody justice and compassion, and to share the love of Jesus Christ in tangible ways as we journey together. More...