The Director of Early Childhood Ministries is responsible for the creative vision, strategic development and implementation of all programs serving families of children ages 3 years through Kindergarten.The Woodlands UMC is a thriving 11,000
member church offering Saturday evening, Sunday morning and mid-week children’s programming with an average attendance of 900+ children on Sunday mornings. Strong emphasis is placed on delivering special events that draw families together to worship, serve
and grow together in faith and discipleship. Position is full-time exempt with benefits.
Competencies and Expectations:
- Lead and inspire a team of staff, volunteers and high school interns to deliver meaningful, intentional and powerful experiences for young children to know the love of Jesus.
- Maintain strong interpersonal skills bent toward a cooperative, collaborative team leadership style.
- Select, evaluate and implement curriculum that is developmentally appropriate, theologically sound and establishes a strong biblical framework and love for learning God’s Word.
- Exhibit best practices using appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality with regard to church policies and procedures.
- Develop, encourage and train staff and volunteers to lead with passion and excellence.
- Provide clear direction and communicate strategies to Early Childhood Ministry team.
- Teach large group and small group lessons with enthusiasm, energy and an age-appropriate approach.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Children’s Ministry Leadership team.
- Offer regular communication to volunteers that expresses appreciation, inspires and informs them.
- Oversee Sunday School experience in both Main building and Loft campuses to include curriculum selection, room set-ups, planning and logistics associated with delivering a meaningful and excellent experience for children and families.
- Co-lead Children of The Woodlands Pre-School and The Woodlands Methodist School weekly chapels.
- Plan, lead and implement large-scale programming: VBS, Story Time, seasonal children’s worship services and family-focused special events.
- Manage payroll for Early Childhood staff and high-school intern team.
- Write and communicate weekly schedules for Sunday morning and special event staffing needs.
- Plan and manage program budgets and track expenses.
- Interview and make recommendations for hiring Ministry Leaders and Interns.
- Accountable for compliance with Safe Sanctuary guidelines and appropriate adult/child ratios in every Sunday School classroom, on every Sunday, and at every Early Childhood event.
- Previous experience working in children’s ministry in a large church setting.
- Strong presence teaching to large audiences of children and adults!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education / Child Development, Christian Education or related field.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (including PowerPoint and Keynote).
- A strong and growing personal commitment to Jesus Christ and the church.
- Spiritual maturity, creativity, high energy and a strong passion to lead children and families to a deeper understanding of the Gospel message of Christ’s love!