Hillcrest Covenant Church
Accountable to Senior Pastor and member of Hillcrest’s Staff Lead Team
The primary objective of this position is to provide leadership for the mission and values of Hillcrest Covenant Church, and the accomplishment of its objectives through staff and lay teams. The directives of this position are established through the Senior
Pastor, and the Hillcrest Leadership Team (HLT), the lay governing body of Hillcrest. The Executive Pastor (XP) will ensure the effective operation of the church’s ministries by providing leadership that results in the meaningful and fruitful contribution
of all church staff, and to create an environment conducive to the fulfillment of the church’s mission and vision.
The XP will also work closely with the Senior Pastor, the Missions Council and Hillcrest’s Staff Lead Team (SLT) Pastors in vision/strategic development. He/she will also have the primary responsibility of Hillcrest’s Missions initiatives, and be responsible
for the day-to-day administrative management of the church’s business. The XP will seek to free the Senior Pastor from administrative duties to the maximum extent possible.
The XP will serve as Hillcrest’s Missions Pastor, responsible for coordinating closely with the Senior Pastor and implementing the global and local missions programs of Hillcrest, supported by 30% of all general fund income, currently $750,000 annually.
In this role, the XP will work to facilitate the engagement of the congregation in missional initiatives, with primary focus on areas of ministry that cross barriers of culture, language, and/or distance.
Primary responsibilities regarding Missions:
- Provide support, care, and encouragement to field personnel who are in partnership with Hillcrest Covenant Church. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Spiritual and prayer support
- Open communication
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure quality partnership development with ministries (U.S. based and indigenous), organizations, and mission agencies that are advancing like-minded mission causes.
- Provide and promote service opportunities for HCC membership to strengthen and advance our missions partnerships, while facilitating the spiritual growth of our own participants.
- Develop and implement a strategic sending process for short-term, mid-range, and career commissioned personnel into partnership mission fields.
- Maintain a healthy tension between faith & strategy, generosity & wisdom in budgeting and allocation of mission’s funds.
- Teach, facilitate, and nurture the development of “World Christians” who intentionally invest in the Great Commission through the widest range of domains and avenues available.
- Lead HCC to participate in cross-cultural Kingdom expansion locally, with insights and sound missional methods.
- Fulfill pastoral duties for the Church as requested.
- Serve as the Human Resource Officer for the church, including supervision of designated staff. Monitor staff vacation, continuing education, outside ministry days, days off, and personal leave time for appropriateness. Update personnel
manual and job descriptions as appropriate to ensure they are both current and accurate. Conduct annual salary reviews of staff with the Senior Pastor.
- Assist Pastoral staff in keeping ministry areas on “purpose” by working with them to establish measurable objectives and facilitating regular reviews with staff to provide needed support.
- Provide leadership for the staff team, including staff team development and oversee the hiring process for high-character and high-competency staff.
- Oversee the Media and Information Technology departments of Hillcrest, including supervision of the Director of Media/I.T.
- Oversee the Business Office and supervise its manager, and his/her respective responsibilities.
- Provide directional leadership for all issues related to building/properties and the building custodian.
- Develop and manage the personnel budget, and provide leadership in the annual development of the overall ministry budget.
- Any other responsibilities as necessary to provide leverage for the Senior Pastor in his core areas.
- Facilitate and manage the effectiveness of communication between ministry leaders and volunteers, support staff, congregants, and all other church communication utilizing a variety of methods appropriate to the task, including but not limited to: all church
emails, church web site, social media, and the Connect (church bulletin).
- Provide the Senior Pastor, on a regular basis, with reports accurately reflecting the status of ministry areas and personnel issues.
- Monitor the progress of the church through hard data in key areas.
- Facilitate and strengthen “cross-silo” communication. This will include coordination between ministries, as well as communication with the Senior Pastor and the HLT.
- Assist the Senior Pastor and Team Lead Pastors in the development and execution of both vision and strategy. Drive the desire to change by serving as a thought-partner with lead ministry staff.
- Develop, implement and enforce policies related to operational aspects of Hillcrest Covenant Church. This includes personnel, financial and business areas, legal issues, and long range planning.
- Coordinate staff retreats, planning days, and other staff functions.
- The XP’s compensation will be determined by the Senior Pastor, and the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary Treasurer of the Hillcrest Leadership Team.
- The job description will be reviewed annually.
- There will be an annual performance review for this position conducted by the Senior Pastor in accordance with church personnel policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- The candidate is expected to:
- Have a strong commitment to the Covenant Affirmations of Faith (available at www.covchurch.org), including specifically the centrality and authority of God’s Word and the necessity of new birth through the death and resurrection of Jesus
- Have a passion for implementing the Great Commission
- Have an in-depth knowledge of missions and missiology as evidenced through graduate degrees in ministry or missions or extensive (5-10 years) experience on the mission field.
- Have a heart for the Lord, a sensitive spirit, and be a person who practices the principles of the Christian faith.
- Be committed to the mission and values of Hillcrest Covenant Church.
- A demonstrated ability to provide leadership, vision and direction to pastoral staff and the missions ministry.
- Management and leadership abilities with demonstrated advanced oral and written communication skills.
- A proven track record of success with leading, training and directing teams or groups.
- A leadership style that encourages teamwork and relates well to a wide spectrum of people.
- The candidate will have a minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience as an Executive Pastor, Executive Director, or Church Business Administrator.
- The candidate will preferably have some specialist knowledge in areas relevant to organizational operations including experience in managing and leading an organization, analysis and presentation of data, preparation and management of annual
budgets in a church or non-profit environment.