NOTE: Please review the required qualifications and application materials list to apply.
Purpose: Provide pastoral oversight of our community groups and theological seminars. Provide preaching and pastoral care
to our congregation.
In Summary: This is a crucial role for our rapidly growing church. It requires a person with a shepherding heart who is also a high-level leader, has a pastoral heart, a team builder and an effective public communicator. The right candidate will have a missional view of western culture, able to comfortably converse with a long term follower of Jesus as well as an unchurched skeptic. This individual should have demonstrated experience in casting and fulfilling ministry vision, implementing strategies that foster community for both churched and unchurched people.
The role is fundamentally a discipleship role, with a primary emphasis on developing community and theological integration for our adults. The person will also preach and offer pastoral care to congregation members. Discipleship at Discovery encompasses all of our ministries, not just our community groups. The right candidate will be an effective team member, able to work alongside and integrate plans with our other ministry directors.
Oversight of Community and Groups:
- Continue to develop and improve our community ministry by developing a comprehensive plan that facilitates authentic community among members, provides theological grounding for them, and integrates with our other discipleship contexts.
- Integrate the need for authentic community with the need for thoughtful theology among our adults. (ie, some adults want to “go deep” and others want to “hang out.” A comprehensive plan will find the difficult balance of moving everyone forward in their discipleship.)
- Provide care and oversight to our existing adult community leaders, recruit and train new community leaders.
- Facilitate newer people into community groups.
- Guest follow up and Starting Point (Our monthly gathering for guests to get involved at Discovery.)
- Update Lead Pastor on “stories and statistics” that show discipleship effectiveness. Share stories of lifechange and statistics of involvement monthly.
- Preach approximately 12 - 20 times per year. (Discovery has 3 services per week, so you would preach each sermon 3 times.)
- Assist the Lead Pastor in fleshing out the sermon calendar, suggest series themes and develop creative elements to further the theme.
- On the weeks you are scheduled to preach, co ordinate with the Worship Arts Director on service elements and flow.
- Be available for other public speaking tasks in and out of Discovery.
Pastoral Care to the Congregation
- Be available for prayer, counsel and guidance of individuals and households. Effectively refer to professionals as needed, while maintaining a pastoral relationship.
- Be available for weddings and funerals as needed.
- Establishing a successful system for coordinating weddings, funerals, and pastoral response to crises.
Essential Habits of the Heart
- Passion to help people grow in Christ, from unchurched to long term follower of Christ.
- Lover of Christ and a Commitment to live out his Great Commission.
- Passion to teach God’s Word in a nuanced way, at an understandable level with real life application.
- Private life and habits are congruent with public reputation.
- A deep desire to see new believers get connected with the church and take next steps in their spiritual journey
- Submission to God’s word and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- Leading a balanced life as a child of God, spouse, parent, worker and friend.
- 5 years minimum pastoral experience.
- Education: at least some graduate classes in theology. Masters degree in Theology or Divinity preferred.
- Proven track record of leadership, preaching, soul care, team building, reaching unchurched people.
- C.P.E, chaplaincy or peer group/reflection internship is preferred.
- Knowledge of family systems (Bowen Theory, Friedman and its derivatives) and discipleship methodology preferred.
- Strong people skills. Ability to interact with diverse people groups. (diversity in belief, age, income, ethnic background etc.)
- Gifted communicator in oral, written and digital contexts
- Ability to think through critical issues and develop a plan of action (problem solving)
Note. Any application that does not contain all of these materials will not be considered. Once your materials are submitted, you will hear back from us within 7-10 days with next steps. Thank you for taking the time to provide the materials below.
- A resume.
- A sample of any devotional material you have written. (It can be a blog post, a church newsletter article, etc.)
- A video or audio file of your preaching.
- A link to your website or blog if you have one.
- A list of 3-5 influences you've never met. (ie, authors and theologians.) Give us a few sentences on how they've impacted you.
- A video sample of yourself. If you have already provided it in the list above, great. If not, please record a video on your phone or webcam discussing ONE of the following topics. Please keep the video to 5 minutes or less. No edits or polish, we just want to get a sense of who you are.
CHOOSE ONE of these Video Topics:
1. Tell us about you (and your family if applicable.)
2. How do you have fun? What do you do for fun?
3. Address this question: “In your experience, how have you seen people grow in Christ?”
4. Your experience connecting with unchurched people and/or helping unchurched people connect with Jesus.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Associate Pastor for Small Groups and AdministrationCapshaw Baptist Church
- Harvest, Alabama
- October 21
Pastor to MenCompass Church
- Salinas, California
- October 20
Discipleship PastorBethel Church
- Owatonna, Minnesota
- October 19
Elementary DirectorRiver Pointe Church
- Richmond, Texas
- October 19
Administrative PastorFolsom Foursquare Church
- Folsom, California
- October 18
Discovery Christian Church
Discovery Christian Church (Restoration Movement) planted in March 1999 to welcome two primary target populations: unchurched people who would otherwise be uncomfortable in church and active followers of Christ who are looking to further God’s Kingdom and neighbor their unchurched friends. After meeting in portable environments for over a decade, Discovery moved into its first building in April 2013. Since that time, we experienced growth from about 300 people each week to about 850. 10 months ago we added a 3rd worship serv More...