Job Title: Financial Manager
Position Overview Non-Exempt
The Financial Manager provides energy and imagination toward the financial accounting and reporting functions for Trinity Presbyterian Church. The individual in this full-time, non-exempt position performs all accounting functions including payroll processing. The Financial Manager serves as the “right hand” support to the Director Finance & Administration and, as such, this colleague shares critical responsibility for a wide variety of financial, human resource, and administrative functions.
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Area of Responsibility: Pledges and Contributions
- Supervise and coordinate the staff counting team that receives Sunday offerings and weekly contributions from various sources and prepares corresponding bank deposits.
- Record revenue from all sources in the general ledger/contributions software.
- Administer and execute monthly electronic transfers for member pledges.
- Receive stock and mutual fund gifts, transact sales, monitor transfer of funds into appropriate accounts, and issue acknowledgement letters.
- Maintain accurate and current pledge database, tracking mid-year changes for individual pledging units.
- Issue quarterly statements and year-end contribution tax statements for contributors.
- Assist Director Finance & Administration with various aspects of the Commitment Campaign including mailings and reporting.
- Acknowledge memorial gifts.
- Respond to members’ contribution inquiries.
- Obtain thorough working knowledge of contributions software.
Area of Responsibility: Accounts Payable
- Perform weekly payables processing – including data entry & check processing.
- Assure all transactions, including church-owned credit card expenditures, have adequate substantiation.
- Assure the procurement of W-9 from vendors when appropriate. Issue annual 1099’s for contract workers.
- Serve as a liaison for vendors inquiries.
- Obtain thorough working knowledge of accounts payable software.
Area of Responsibility: Accounts Receivable
- Process invoices for the church’s Trinity’s Morning Out Program (TMO)
- Enter and process payments for deposit.
- Record monthly prepaid tuition income entries.
Area of Responsibility: Finance
- Reconcile monthly bank statements.
- Generate required general ledger entries, including month-end and year-end closing entries, making calculations for accruals and deferrals as needed.
- Provide initial review of monthly financials, making appropriate adjustments where needed.
- Identify, and investigate anomalies in the general ledger through regular review of operating accounts.
- Prepare cash boxes as needed for “over-the-counter” cash receipts for various meals and events.
- Assist Director Finance & Administration with annual budget process.
- Prepare discovery for the auditor and assist as required during the annual review.
- Assure that all financial procedures are within established procedures and controls.
- Attend monthly Finance Committee and Quarterly Trustee meetings. Record minutes for both groups.
- Obtain thorough working knowledge of general ledger software and have a solid understanding of inter-fund/multiple-fund entries.
Area of Responsibility: Payroll
- Prepare semi-monthly payroll and submit to third party for processing.
- Import payroll data into general ledger.
- Perform monthly analysis of all payroll liability accounts, making adjustments/corrections as needed.
- Prepare quarterly salary and benefits reconciliations to assure accuracy
- Maintain payroll records and respond to payroll inquiries.
- Process and monitor 125 (Cafeteria Plan) deductions and reimbursements, assuring compliance with IRS regulations.
- Obtain thorough working knowledge of all payroll software and hardware.
Area of Responsibility: Human Resources
- Maintain employee files, assuring the completion and inclusion of all required documentation.
- Maintain employee benefits database including paid time off, salary history, and demographics.
- Manage employee benefits, including annual benefits elections, assuring compliance with applicable regulations.
- Serve as liaison with benefits providers.
- Obtain thorough working knowledge of human resource software.
Area of Responsibility: Trust Fund
- Assist the Director Finance & Administration with the ongoing operations of the Trust Funds.
- Prepare initial analysis of monthly earnings and fund reallocation.
- Prepare and make general ledger entries for Trust Fund activities.
- Assist the Director Finance & Administration with quarterly analysis and reporting.
Area of Responsibility: Other Responsibilities
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of all financial and human resource software and any related systems.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Accounting or equivalent experience
- Experience in non-profit environment preferred
- Solid knowledge of non-profit accounting, pledging/contributions, financial reporting, and payroll processing
- Sound understanding of accounting and financial controls for non-profits
- Proficiency and experience with accounting software applications
- High level of proficiency with MS Office applications including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Self-motivation with professional demeanor and presence, positive attitude, and strong work ethic
- High level of attention for detail and accuracy
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple tasks to completion
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to practice strict discretion and maintain high level of confidentiality
- Ability to interact effectively and positively around finance/stewardship issues with people possessing varying levels of related knowledge
- As with all positions at Trinity, the individual in this position must meet the requirements of and comply with Trinity’s Child and Youth Protection Policy
The Financial Manager is accountable to the Personnel Committee and the Director Finance & Administration for the manner in which he or she carries out his or her duties.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Executive PastorThe Meeting House
- Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- January 23
Accounting SpecialistRock Point Church
- Queen Creek, Arizona
- January 18
Business ManagerGrace Community Church
- Fremont, Ohio
- January 18
Executive PastorThe Worship Place
- Georgetown, Texas
- January 17
Church AccountantAdvent United Methodist Church
- Simpsonville, South Carolina
- January 15
Trinity Presbyterian Church
Since its founding in 1949, Trinity has existed to serve God with joy and to bear witness to God’s transforming love made known in Jesus Christ. Led by its board of elders and its young pastor, Allison F. Williams, a son of Atlanta’s First Presbyterian Church, Trinity grew quickly. By the time its American Greek Revival Sanctuary was dedicated on June 4, 1955, Trinity counted 1,000 members. During the next few decades the church flourished, serving a congregation of about 1400 members. The church’s early development rested o More...