PALM HARBOR UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Updated: January 2015
Job Title: TECHNICAL MANAGER
Reports To: Director of Worship and Arts
Hours per week: 10-15, higher seasonally. Work hours are varied week-to-week.
Summary: The Technical Manager is responsible for the operation and maintenance of technical systems primarily in the Sanctuary and multipurpose rooms including audio, video, projection, and lighting. The Technical Manager also serves as a volunteer coordinator
recruiting, training, and scheduling volunteers to serve in various technical capacities to support worship services and special events. The Technical Manager works closely with the pastors, the Director of Worship and Arts, musicians and other persons involved
in the production of worship services and other ministry events, both on and off site, to insure a professional and effective service or event.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of the technical systems and equipment (audio, video, projection, lighting and recording) in the sanctuary;
- Acquires, installs and repairs equipment, including working with vendors as required.
- Manages the budget of the Technical Ministry and approves expenditures from same;
- Serves as technical director for services and events;
- Produces/edits digital audio and video recordings for playback or distribution;
- Maintains audio/video systems in the Children’s Room and Youth Room as needed.
- Operates and maintains the Genie personnel lift owned by the church; schedules and supervises the required annual inspection of same.
- Able to work at heights both on ladders, and the personnel lift.
- Maintains 4 PCs currently in use in the technical area (soon to be 5 with the upgrades); is better-than-average computer literate in PCs.
- Fills in for all volunteer positions when the volunteer is not available, including the creation of service scripts in MediaShout software.
- Writes program cues within the theatrical lighting system for church services, Westlake productions, and other events as necessary.
- Assists the Worship and Arts Director in the maintenance and repair of church-owned musical instruments.
- Works front-of-house audio for services and events, together with other staff.
- Maintains the aging house lighting system in the sanctuary
- Maintains various webpages, online calendars, etc. as required.
- Attends staff meetings, worship planning meetings, and other committee or board meetings as necessary;
- Coordinates technical support for Westlake Christian School events, Robins Nest Preschool events, weddings, funerals and other special events in addition to regular worship services;
- Serves as the volunteer recruiter, trainer, and coordinator for a team of 12-15 “Tech Team” volunteers.