Need and Purpose
St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church of Cullman, AL is seeking a Youth Minister to use his/her skills to provide organizational and visionary leadership for junior and senior high students within the contexts of family life and the larger church’s ministry.
· Envision, implement, and oversee the youth ministry (activities, budgets, volunteers, etc.) at St. John’s, working with the staff, parents, and congregation to ensure fruitfulness.
· Disciple the youth of the church and encourage parental involvement in their children’s spiritual formation.
· Develop relationships with youth and families of the church, serving as mentor, role model, friend, and minister of the gospel.
· Work within existing programming, including Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, as well as innovatively exploring and creating other opportunities for youth discipleship, fellowship, service, and worship.
· Work with our youth to assist them in reaching out to un-churched friends and classmates.
· Report to the Senior Pastor (or equivalent) and provide updates for the church council. Work with personnel committee as requested.
· Faith: A mature commitment to Christ demonstrated through life and testimony; a demonstrable passion for and calling to youth ministry; an understanding of the personality and call of St. John’s.
· Skills: Organizational and oral and written communication skills needed, along with leadership (delegation, facilitation, and recruiting) and teaching abilities.
· Personal: energetic, pro-active, creative, goal-oriented, patient, kind, encouraging, and positive, “knowing how and when to be a kid and when to be an adult.”
· Interpersonal: engaging and able to initiate relationships with students.
· Experience: Some experience with youth and/or church ministry preferred.
· Education: Bachelor’s Degree desired. Formal ministry training preferred.