Life Group Pastor
The purpose of this position is to shepherd Life Group Leaders in order to create and multiply healthy life group environments so that everyone at Rocky Peak can join a group where they can grow and thrive.
This Position Reports To
Neil Johnson - Life Group Pastor
Who This Position Works Closely With
The Life Group Team and Staff Team
Life Group Oversight
To create, develop, and oversee 45-60 healthy, growing Life Groups.
To provide systematic coaching, training and support for Life Group Leaders. To help assess the health of each group under his care and help leaders create and multiply healthy groups.
Life Group Multiplication
To work with the Leadership Team to analyze the needs of the church and then launch new groups so that at least 80% of our adult weekend attendance can be in Life Groups.
Life Group Team
To serve as an integral part of the Leadership Team and work together to design, develop and deliver a thriving Life Group ministry.
To provide limited pastoral care for the congregation including counseling, weddings, funerals, etc.
Oversight of at least one other ministry in the church. This area of responsibility will be tailored to the strengths and passions of the pastor and the needs of the church, and will make up about 20% of this position.
- To live out the vision, values, and strategies of Rocky Peak in such a way that it inspires and equips others to seek to do the same in their lives.
- To help build a healthy, strong, and unified Life Group Team by working together to create an effective ministry and enjoyable relationships.
- To shepherd 45-60 Life Group leaders in such a way that they feel equipped, supported, and resourced to create and multiply healthy life group environments.
- To identify and recruit new leaders by developing a pipeline of Apprentice Leaders who will be ready to lead in the upcoming Life Group sessions in order to create enough space for 80% of our adult weekend attendance to be in a Life Group.
- To be able to provide a basic working knowledge of each leader and how their group is functioning.
- To help the Life Group Leadership Team develop effective Life Group Gatherings that envision and equip 75% of our Leaders and create “Raving Fan” responses.
- To provide authentic and effective pastoral leadership so that people feel built up, encouraged, equipped and loved.
- To provide healthy, beneficial, compassionate and gracious counsel to the congregation.
- To provide effective leadership for an area of specialized ministry that is outside the Life Group team.
- Spiritual Integrity – Someone who is a passionate Christ-follower and who is living out the vision and values of Rocky Peak in his own life. Someone who is pursuing God, listening to the Spirit, and experiencing spiritual transformation.
- Strong Character – Someone with tremendous integrity and is committed to doing the right thing regardless of the cost. Someone with great courage, humility and compassion. Someone who is approachable and open to feedback. Someone who is
motivated more by his love for Christ and others than by personal gain, recognition, or ego. Someone with a strong marriage.
- A Strategic Thinker – Someone who is gifted at seeing the big picture - where we are, where we need to go, and how to get there. Someone who is bright and has great insight, intuition and judgment. Someone who is quick
to recognize organizational misalignment and knows how to fix it. Someone who is a creative problem solver and a systems architect.
- Effective Recruiter – Someone who is able to discover, recognize, attract, and recruit solid Life Group leaders.
- A Strong Coach – Someone who is able to assess, mentor, lead, encourage, and develop strong leaders. Someone who is gifted at reading people and assessing their strengths and motivations. Someone who can create an environment
of honesty, trust, and passionate debate.
- A Culture Creator – Someone who can create, model, communicate, and cultivate a healthy and energizing organizational culture.
- Consistent Execution – Someone who is gifted at strategizing, planning, organizing, scheduling, and executing. Someone who can create a culture of execution.
- Excellent People Skills – Someone who is gifted at reading and relating to others. Someone with strong emotional intelligence (empathy, intuition, discernment, etc.). Someone who is good at moving toward conflict and resolving it quickly
and effectively. Someone who is a good listener, open to feedback, and not defensive.
- Strong Relational Skills – Someone who intentionally seeks to know and be known by others in order to invest and develop healthy relationships on the staff team, in the Rocky Peak body, and with others. Someone who is leveraging their influence
in their relationships in order to help unleash others as passionate Christ followers.
- A Commitment To Excellence – Someone who is committed to excellence and knows how to get the best from himself and others.
- Proactive, Hard Working, and Effective– Someone who is quick to take initiative, has a strong work ethic, and is willing to go the extra mile to get the job done. Someone who can multitask and is quick and efficient. Someone who combines
a bias for action with the ability to listen and wait on the Holy Spirit for direction.
- Strong Ministry Experience – Someone with a strong ministry background that will bring credibility, experience, insight, and expertise to this position.
- Strong Leader – Someone who is gifted at leading others, casting vision, strategic thinking, developing leaders, building teams, creating culture, and execution.
- A Clear Communicator – Someone who can communicate clearly and effectively one on one, in small group settings, and in larger group settings. Someone who knows how to share the right things, with the right people, at the right time, and
in the right way.
- The Right Chemistry – Someone who connects well with our leadership team and loves our vision, values, strategies, and culture. Someone who loves to work in teams. Someone who loves to learn and is passionate about growing both personally
and professionally. Someone who is casual and collegial. Someone who is outgoing, loves people, and has a great sense of humor.
- To identify the current type and number of Life Groups needed for 80% of our weekend attendees to participate in a Life Group and begin recruiting leaders for those groups so that we have enough space for the following sessions.
- To build up our potential leader pipeline by working with existing leaders to help them identify Apprentice leaders in their Life Groups so that half of our Life Groups have an identified Apprentice Leader by the Fall 2015 session.
- To ensure that 65% of our current Life Groups have both a leader and coordinator working together as a leadership team by the Fall 2015.
- To assess the Life Group Ministry Team structure and help in determining its effectiveness in offering support, encouragement, and coaching to leaders by creating and implementing an evaluation tool for current leaders by the end of the 2015 spring session.
- Based on church demographics to identify and recruit healthy Life Group Leaders to lead singles Life Groups for the age groups of 23-32, 32-45 & 40+.
- Working with the Life Group Leadership Team and Ministry leads to enhance effective clear communication of vital church vision and ministry updates to better equip and prepare Life Group Leaders for impending questions from those in their groups.
Our assumption is that about 80% of this position will focus on Life Groups and the other 20 on pastoral care and other duties.
- Full time: 50-55 hours/week (including church and Life Group attendance)
Compensation & Benefits