Church of the Holy Spirit Job Description
Job Title: Children’s Minister
Reports To: Matt Kirk (Youth Pastor)
Status: 20-25 hours per week
The Children’s Minister oversees the entire children’s ministry (fifth grade and under). The CM’s primary role will be to recruit, train, and develop Children’s Ministry Team members (leaders, teachers, aides, administrators). The Team will work together
to help transform our children into committed disciples of Christ who love others and know, love and follow Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. These leaders will model our commitments to the Great Commission and the Great Commandment, and train our children
to do likewise in an age-appropriate manner that is enjoyable for the children.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be
- Oversee and coordinate all aspects of the children’s ministry including, but not limited to,
Sunday School, VBS and other special events, such as
Water Mine Outing, bowling, etc. (Nursery and childcare for events is overseen by the Nursery Director…. However, working with the ND , it is the responsibility of the CM to make sure that ample nursery coverage is assigned at each church
event requiring it.
- Recruit and screen gifted volunteer teachers and aides before placing them in ministry.
- Work with the Children's Ministry Team to develop a strategic plan that includes the following key areas: clearly defined values, mission statement, leadership development, evangelism, disciple making, worship, systematic Bible teaching, curriculum selection,
and ongoing evaluation.
- Provide a safe, secure, and nurturing environment for children where parents feel comfortable leaving their child. Help each child establish a sense of belonging to their church family.
- Select or write curriculum for each class, from preschool through the older children. Select/develop age-appropriate material with the Children’s Ministry Team for individualized instruction regarding salvation, baptism, lordship, etc., as needed.
- Develop and enforce policies pertinent to the children’s ministry department.
- Communicate and promote children’s programs, events, and responsibilities to parents, children, staff and volunteers
- Organize classroom spaces in the school and ensure their cleanliness and safety.
- Staff the children’s registration table 30 minutes prior to the start of the service with a warm, friendly individual who is comfortable meeting new people.
- Maintain a pool of substitute teachers/aides to keep programs running smoothly throughout the church year. Keep a current list of volunteers with names/addresses/phone numbers/email.
- Approve all children’s ministries programs, curricula, activities and disbursement of funds for supplies and projects, keeping within budgeted amounts.
- Schedule all teachers and aides, and have a policy in place to find substitutes when necessary.
- Keep ongoing record of attendance, both of workers and children. Follow up as necessary.
- Be available to counsel and pray with children regarding spiritual matters.
- Meet monthly with Matt Kirk (Youth Pastor) for oversight and encouragement; Attend and report progress to the Vestry when requested.
- Participate in all staff meetings and staff prayer times.
Directly supervises the nursery director and has responsibility for oversight of all ministry volunteers.
QUALIFICATIONS - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will have worked/served in Christian service or a related field; have teaching experience and experience leading ministries; and be cognizant of developmental theories of children and their application to the ministry.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate must be a born-again, spirit-filled Christian and fully support the mission, vision and ministry philosophy of Church of the Holy Spirit and its leadership team. Spiritual gifts of administration, teaching and encouragement are
The ability to work efficiently and effectively in team situations is critical, as well as the ability to work independently. The CM must possess solid time management skills and organizational abilities. The ability to coordinate several activities at
once and to quickly analyze and resolve specific problems is important.
The ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with all kinds of people, conveying a genuine concern for their needs and a desire to provide exceptional service, is essential for this position.
The ideal candidate is creative, has a passion for children, is energetic, hard working, and has the ability to motivate others. Should be detail oriented, flexible, and decisive with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities,
and meet deadlines.
If the above position interests you we encourage you to go to our website, holyspiritanglican.org or Facebook page and discover our church’s DNA. We define ourselves as a three streams church theologically. That means we embrace the evangelical, charismatic,
and sacramental expressions of worship in church life. If afterwards you feel like your gifts and our ministry might be a good fit please submit a resume to:
Pastor Matt Kirk,
You may also call the church with any questions: 703-726-0777