Position: Assistant/Associate Pastor of Family and Youth Ministry
General Supervisor: Senior Pastor
Position Purpose: To direct and lead youth programming for Family, Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle School and High School age youth. The Assistant/Associate Pastor of Family and Youth Ministry shall seek to foster Christian community through
building relationships with families and young people that strengthen their commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
Responsibilities: Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with the supervising pastor and the Elder Council (when appropriate), the following constitute the major responsibilities of the Assistant/Associate Pastor of Family and Youth
Ministry of Calvary Church.
- Provide leadership for and function as the primary staff person relating to the Family and Youth Ministry initiatives.
- Oversee the Early Childhood and Elementary-Aged education program.
- Oversee the Youth Ministry including recruitment and training of adult volunteers to work with Middle and High School age groups.
- Plan and implement age appropriate activities for Middle and High School age youth that promote community through fellowship, fun and faith development. Such activities might include; musicals and dramatic presentations, small group Bible study, retreats
and service projects.
- Oversee the Family Ministry including home group organization and management.
- Develop an annual budget for Family and Youth Ministries.
- Coordinate fund-raising activities that support special family and youth activities and trips.
- Promote Christian service through age appropriate service projects.
- Participate in weekly Sunday morning services and develop, lead, and/or coordinate Sunday morning youth classes.
- Be a part of the worshiping community of Calvary Church Pueblo on a regular basis.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, monthly Family and Youth Ministries meetings, and any other meetings required by the supervising pastor.
- Meet regularly with supervising pastor as needed at a time mutually agreed upon.
- Coordinate all family and youth activities with other ministries of the congregation in cooperation with staff.
- Be in contact with office staff and provide a timely and accurate schedule of Family and Youth activities. Keep the congregation informed of events by coordinating the publicity for family and youth activities through the appropriate vehicles provided by
the church. (e.g. monthly newsletter, special mailings, posters, bulletin announcements, web page, etc.) Provide monthly reports for the Elder Council and a year-end report for the congregation.
- Manage the disbursement of budgeted funds for Family and Youth Ministry within the guidelines of the approved budget and in adherence with the purchasing policies of the church.
- Provide for the keeping of administrative records needed to provide the Elder Council information needed for future planning. Such records would include but not be limited to: Individual fund-raising accounts, and files on fund-raisers, program activities
for use in future planning (to include attendance, cost and adult volunteers) consent forms.
- Encourage families and all young people to participate in all facets of the life of the community of faith, including worship, choirs, educational opportunities, youth activities, camp and service projects, etc.
- Refer prospective families for membership and unusual circumstances where follow-up is desirable to the supervising pastor.
- Assist the Evangelism Committee with youth involvement in outreach.
[*] Job title will depend on qualifications of the person hired. Assistant Pastor is a man working toward ordination in the ministry. Associate Pastor is an ordained minister. Job responsibilities remain the same with either title.
Working Conditions :
The position of Assistant/Associate Pastor of Family and Youth Ministry requires great flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends. The position is a full time, salaried position and while the salary is based upon a projected
40 hrs. per week, the actual number of hours required during any given week is those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Furthermore it is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year. It is therefore understood
that the Assistant/Associate Pastor of Family and Youth Ministry shall:
- Maintain some regularly scheduled office hours in order to be accessible to youth, parents, staff and the leadership of the congregation.
- Keep the church office informed as to how the Family and Youth Ministry Assistant/Associate Pastor can be contacted.
- Notify the staff prior to all unforeseen and untimely absences from regularly scheduled events, and provide a suitable substitute in the case of anticipated absence (meeting excepted).
- In the case of extended time away from the office arrange to receive messages.
- Be familiar with and operate within the guidelines set forth in the staff handbook.
Office, phone, computer, voice mail, email, Internet services, duplicating and secretarial support is provided by the congregation for work related to this position.
Supervising pastor must approve continuing education.
Since the Family and Youth Assistant/Associate Pastor plays a major role in the faith development of the younger members of the church, both as a leader, and as an example, Calvary seeks a professional leader who has a solid understanding of the foundations
of the Christian faith and who has a strong desire to nurture young people in the Christian faith. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs and a person who values a team concept of ministry. Therefore the following qualifications are desirable.
- Family and Youth Ministry Education (bachelor degree required, master degree preferred). Must be an ordained minister or on a path toward ordination.
- Professional experience in Family and/or Youth Ministry.
- The ability to work with youth and adults.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Budget management experience.
- Willing and able to obtain a CDL driver’s license.
Calvary Church values its brothers who have received a call to support and nurture the faith of Christians. We therefore on our part will:
- Encourage, pray and support you as a leader in this congregation.
- Support you with a salary package competitive with similar positions in the area the details of which can be negotiated depending upon your needs.
- Provide you with paid time off in accordance with the Staff guidelines of the congregation.
- Review the terms of your employment on an annual basis.