DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preach and teach the Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments.
- Primary teaching responsibility on Sunday mornings, Town Hall meetings, and other gatherings
- Fulfill the predominant teaching role of the church, and find guest teachers when absent.
- Work closely with the Worship Pastor to plan themes consistent with the preaching series creating a comprehensive worship experience.
- Consult with Vision Team on Sermon Series to ensure church wide vision is being addressed from the pulpit.
- Provide sermon content/themes to the staff in a timely manner to allow for preparation of slides, music and the bulletin.
- Vision Casting
- Continually clarify and highlight the vision of the church through the Sunday morning worship experience and leading the staff and ministry leaders to regularly communicate the same vision.
- Work closely with the staff and Vision Team to identify ministry priorities which will move the church towards its vision.
- Pastoral Care
- Care for the needs of the church congregation. It is understood that the Senior Pastor is not able to make every visit, or to provide direct care for every person, but the Senior Pastor will be the leading edge in showing genuine care for the congregation. Situations involving critical illness or death are to be given priority and emphasis.
- Assist the Prayer Team in communicating prayer requests and needs.
- Actively engage with visitors attending the church.
- Meet regularly with the staff for growth, vision sharing, planning, and insuring teamwork.
- Meet one on one with staff members and select lay leaders as appropriate to counsel, impart wisdom, instruct in their area of ministry, plan, and guide them in spiritual development.
- Administer the Sacraments, Holy Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, according to the practice of The Evangelical Covenant Church.
- Lead us in fulfilling our church’s responsibility to witness for Christ.
- Lead us in a public witness through ministries of compassion and justice.
- Provide spiritual counseling as needed to congregants, within the boundaries of the Senior Pastor’s training, or refer congregants to professional counselors.
- Provide pre-marital counseling as needed, within the boundaries of the Senior Pastor’s training and schedule.
- Keep your life in harmony with the Word of God, striving in word and deed to be a worthy example of Christian living.
- Keep your practices consistent with the Covenant’s Rules for the Ordered Ministry, and its Ethical Principles for Covenant Ministers.
- General Responsibilities
- Lead with authenticity in accord with the Covenant Affirmations, and the Constitution and Bylaws of this congregation.
- Provide general leadership for all the ministries at Colorado Ridge Church, and give pastoral leadership to our congregation’s board, ministry committees and activities.
- Act as a member of the Vision Team, assisting the Vision Team chair in the creation of an agenda, scheduling meetings, and acting as a member of the Team in creating policies, making decisions, choosing new members, etc.
- Act as a member of the Business Board, assisting the Business Board in the creation of an agenda and an annual budget for the approval of the Vision Team, scheduling and leading meetings along with the Business Board Chair, and acting as a member of the Board in making decisions, choosing new members, etc.
- Act as the manager in charge of the church staff and lay leaders, supervising and coordinating all work of the other members of the staff.
- Lead and explain tithing and stewardship to the congregation as appropriate.
- Interview, hire, terminate, train, and counsel staff.
- Encourage the church to support the mission of the Covenant Church and our regional conference.
- Be at and normally lead regularly scheduled staff and production meetings.
- Lead or oversee the Benevolence Fund, and procedures for utilizing that Fund.
- Timely communication to staff, leadership, and congregants.
- Maintain a continuing education plan for skill building and self-improvement.
- Be actively involved in the life of the church.
- Be actively involved in identifying and training future leaders.
- Represent Colorado Ridge Church at local events and pastor meetings.
- Officiate at weddings and funerals, within the Senior Pastor’s schedule.
- Lead (or delegate as appropriate) membership classes and other adult education classes.
Leadership: Colorado Ridge is led by a Vision Team, a Staff Team and a Business Board. The Senior Pastor is a member of all 3 teams. The Vision Team functions as a 5-person group of Elders who oversee the mission and long-term vision of the church and provide oversight, accountability, guidance and support to the Senior Pastor. The Senior Pastor is responsible for day-to-day operations of the church in addition to staff oversight. Each Staff Person has a Vision Team member as a Liaison for information exchange and leadership development purposes but not formal supervision. The Business Board recommends and administers the church budget which is approved by the Vision Team, and individual ministry budgets are the responsibility of appropriate staff and/or ministry leaders. Leadership Development is a priority from the Vision Team level down and is an expectation for all leaders.
Spiritual Growth: Colorado Ridge is very intentional about Spiritual Growth in every phase and aspect of ministry. Ministry leaders are expected to make personal growth and discipleship a priority. We encourage discipleship from a 360 perspective, having both a spiritual mentor and mentees. We make intentional spiritual and emotional health a priority for every member and use it as a measure by which we judge the priority of ministries. Sunday preaching, life groups, youth ministry and children’s ministry, as well as one-to-one discipleship, are all areas where spiritual growth is emphasized and measured.
Evangelism: Colorado Ridge emphasizes the personal and corporate mandate of the Great Commission. We emphasize the necessity of personal confession and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. We want to provide ample opportunity for non-believers to hear and respond to the Gospel as well as subsequent Baptism and Discipleship. The truth of God’s Word and what it clearly teaches about salvation is emphasized for all teachers and leaders. We also wish to actively engage with non-believers in our community to establish relationships that may lead to a life changing relationship with Christ. We want to emphasize relationships with non-believers that focus on meeting needs and not just conversion.
Facility: Colorado Ridge Church is a set-up and tear-down church that currently meets at a local K – 12 school called The Academy. We have a very strong relationship and a mutual respect with the staff of the school. Our Worship and Sermons are conducted in the gym/auditorium. We also use four classrooms for our Sunday Children's Ministry. Our Church office is located in the same neighborhood in a small, second level portion of a townhouse complex.
Sermon Emphasis (Worship Service designed for): Our Worship service is designed for both the unchurched and for believers, with more of the focus on believers. The moment you walk into the Church you should experience a group of believers that are friendly to both regular attendees and visitors alike. We are a very strong community that has worked on our emotional and Spiritual health to have lives that are being continually drawn closer to Christ. Colorado Ridge is a church that does not shy away from the hard topics of the Bible and is willing to be challenged in the message.
Sermon Type (Worship Service is based on): Our sermon series are usually based on a book in the Bible. There are times when there is a topical series, but it will always be based soundly in scripture.
Response to Compassion, Mercy and Justice: Colorado Ridge Church responds to needs of compassion, mercy and justice by developing church-initiated opportunities that make a difference. These initiatives are led by both teams and individuals, both within the church (assisting those in our congregation with practical needs that come up) and externally (to ministries within our community). In addition, Colorado Ridge Church has a very vibrant men's ministry focused on the four pillars of Study, Fellowship, Service and Discipleship that focuses on responses to these needs (such as providing oil changes for women in need, or helping people move). Colorado Ridge Church has a growing women’s ministry as well, that exists to Gather, Equip and Unleash women to embrace and live out their God-given purpose, and which includes responding to issues of compassion, mercy, and justice (such as providing backpacks and Christmas presents to a local Title IX school, and coordinating Operation Christmas Child). We also build into our Children's Ministry a heart for service by having the children participate in special projects.
Purpose of the Sermon: First and foremost, we desire Biblically sound expository messages (as opposed to thematic messages that use scripture to make a point). Because the Word of God is active, messages should naturally have a practical application, a word meant for us today. Whether the person in the congregation is a first-time visitor (first time to our church or first time at any church), or a spiritually mature believer, they should leave our Sunday worship service knowing something more about the heart of God, the truth of Scripture, and what God desires in His relationship with us (obedience, confession, encouragement, exhortation). This includes direct opportunities to make a first-time decision for Christ, coupled with teaching that will help us all grow more deeply rooted in faith.
Form of the Sermon: At CRC, we believe that exposition is at the heart of any good teaching. We believe in a solid Biblical foundation that rests in the scriptures. Sermons begin with sound exposition and end with an opportunity for individual response to the topic, a “So what now?” time of reflection. This may be a call to action, reflection on a point, encouragement to receive prayer, a time of confession, or more importantly an opportunity to receive Jesus Christ as the Lord of one's life.
Missional Focus: Historically, our missional focus has been mostly local and community-oriented with some emphasis given to global missions. We have run community outreach events such as Party in the Park, Candy Mania (Halloween Trunk or Treat) and an annual church-wide “Go Denver” day that included congregants ministering at Ronald McDonald House, Nelson Ministries to the homeless, a local nursing home and Champa House (a single mother’s ministry). We have participated in Angel Tree, Operation Christmas Child, and supporting a local Title 9 elementary school providing school supplies and Christmas presents for the students. Globally, we have supported (both financially and by sending work teams) Rancho De Sus Ninos, an orphanage in Tecate, Mexico, and have also financially supported the Testa family of Great Commission Ministries in Italy. We have plans to develop a Missions Committee which will help us to become more prayerful and intentional in developing both local and global missions participation.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Executive PastorStonehill Church
- Meridian, Idaho
- October 21
Executive Director of Creative ArtsCornerstone Christian Fellowship
- Chandler, Arizona
- October 18
Executive PastorHarvest Community Church
- Oak Creek, Wisconsin
- October 17
Administrative pastorLiberty Church
- Ozone Park, New York
- October 13
Executive PastorChurch of the Open Door
- Elyria, Ohio
- October 13