WEST SHORE EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH
DIRECTOR OF WORSHIP Opportunity Profile
Who we are: West Shore Evangelical Free Church (WSEFC; www.westshorefree.org) has a rich, continuous history of deeply engaging God’s Word as well as the community and world with His Truth. Officially founded in 1975, West Shore has grown through the years to a community of over 2,500 adults, children and youth, with many ministries and mission partners around the region and around the world.
WSEFC is located in Mechanicsburg in the heart of Central Pennsylvania. It is 14 miles west of Harrisburg, sits between Hershey and Gettysburg and is just a few hours from the major cities of Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore and New York. Since 2005, WSEFC’s 92-acre property has been home to a 1500-seat worship center, multiple classrooms and community spaces, as well as outdoor walking paths and sports fields.
From the pulpit to classroom, a high value is placed upon understanding and obeying God’s Word and the church has been blessed with many gifted teachers. As it relates to this passion for Truth, it exists to serve a higher purpose: for the people of WSEFC to aspire to know and love God with all their hearts, souls, strength and minds.
As an Evangelical Free church, WSEFC is committed to the gospel of Jesus Christ, and is devoted to a historically rooted and biblical faith. However, under the authority of God’s Word and consistent with the doctrinal statement of the church, WSEFC affirms the freedom of believers to come to different conclusions about what the Bible teaches on the “non-essentials.”
Many people are drawn to West Shore Evangelical Free Church due to its strong commitment to the family. The quality and impact of the Children and Youth ministries are significant and are deliberately focused on equipping parents and families in raising young people who love and follow the Lord. In addition, any Sunday during the academic year, two to three hundred Messiah College students attend WSEFC’s worship services. More recently, the church is seeing a growing percentage of attendees who don’t possess an established faith. They are coming to WSEFC in search of an open and welcoming community where they can find answers to their faith questions and develop convictions.
Who we want to be:
- A church of people with genuinely good character and not those who just appear to be.
- A church that shapes our culture through the gospel for righteousness, justice and the common good.
- A church that connects people across generations.
- A church that increasingly makes disciples.
DIRECTOR OF WORSHIP NEEDED
Our church has a very clear understanding of the type of worshippers we desire to cultivate and, therefore, the type of worship environment into which we want to invite our people—one marked by these core values:
- It is anointed with the presence of God.
- It develops us theologically.
- It inspires passionate engagement.
- It calls us to transformed lives.
We long to see our people walk in these values as worshippers over and above all preferences of stylistic experience. To that end, we are seeking a person to lead our culture of worship who cares more about function than form. Historically we have blended traditional and contemporary musical expressions of worship, leaning toward contemporary, in a setting that is intentionally multigenerational.
We are seeking a person who shares our values in worship, is capable of thinking strategically about our structures, has the musical skill set needed to lead in this setting, and demonstrates the leadership skills and shepherd’s heart necessary to guide our people into an increasing realization of this culture.
- Establish vision and lead change in structures, along with our leadership team, to create a realized culture of worship defined by the core values above.
- Oversee and equip worship teams in all worship venues of the church.
- Raise up the next generation of worship leaders for the universal church.
- Oversee the Sound/Video/Lighting (SVL) tech staff, as they support the entire church.
- Compassionately shepherd the worship community to grow in Christ.
- Serve as a member of the ministerial staff team.
- A sincere love for Jesus displayed in faithful living.
- A clear call to and love for the local church.
- A disciple maker.
- A theologically informed approach to creating a culture of worship.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively build and lead teams.
- An ability to lead worshippers in a breadth of musical expressions.
- An ability to combine artistry with organization in a large church environment.
- Appropriate musical skill and gifting to model and lead well.
- Sufficient technological expertise to give guidance and leadership to SVL tech teams.
- Prefers to work in a collaborative environment, with a commitment to growth and health.
For individuals referred to the opportunity and for those seeking to explore next steps, please provide your resume’ and responses to the questions below to:
John Nesbitt, Executive Pastor
Phone 717-697-0226, ext. 121
We also request your electronic submission of, or link to, a sample that will display your worship service leadership. A desired bonus would be the submission of, or link to, a sample of your leading a worship rehearsal.
Describe your faith in Jesus Christ. Tell us how you came to know the Lord, something about your journey with Him, your current walk and how your relationship with Him has affected your life and ministry.
At this point in your ministry, why are you interested in leading as Director of Worship at West Shore Free? What is it about the role or opportunity that motivates you to apply?
Describe three efforts you have led in a church context that required shaping a direction, culture and team of contributors to accomplish important results. Please describe the circumstances and your specific role in them.
Describe your philosophy of worship ministry and leadership within the large church environment, including addressing your personal style of leadership and preferred organizational structure.
Please share five or six references including a few supervisors, ministry peers and direct reports (paid or volunteer). No references will be contacted without your specific permission and only after mutual interest develops with West Shore Evangelical Free Church.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship and Associate PastorPataskala Grace Church
- Pataskala, Ohio
- October 26
Indy North Campus Worship PastorNorthview Church
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- October 26
Worship PastorVentura Missionary Church
- Ventura, California
- October 26
Pastor of Worship and Student MinistriesBrenham Bible Church
- Brenham, Texas
- October 25
Assistant Worship Leader / Youth PastorONEeighty Church
- Springville, Alabama
- October 25