Austin Bluffs Evangelical Free Church
Associate Pastor of Music Ministries
Austin Bluffs Evangelical Free Church is located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We are a theologically conservative church committed to the glory of God, the centrality of the Scriptures and expository preaching. Our mission is to glorify God through biblical
ministry that exalts Christ, equips the believer for service, and extends the gospel to the world. We have an average attendance of around 500 in our two Sunday morning services. We currently have three staff pastors and our Senior Pastor has served at ABEFC
since 1997. Our music is blended in content (theologically and lyrically rich hymns and choruses) and "conservatively current" in style, led by a praise band consisting of acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums. We also currently have
a once-a-month choir and a once-a-month small orchestra. Much more can be learned about our church at www.abefc.org. Resumes may be sent to email@example.com
Purpose: This pastor serves the church as a staff member and is responsible for the oversight of the music ministries as well as other ministry responsibilities which are mutually agreed upon.
Qualifications: He must meet the biblical requirements for an elder listed in I Tim. 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9. He will have a personal intimate relationship with Jesus Christ, will be one who is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ by displaying a Christlike
attitude in dealing with people, and he will maintain an active prayer life. He will be in full agreement with the church’s statement of faith and will adhere to its bylaws.
Education/Experience: Bachelors degree in a music or ministry related field required. 3-5 years of music ministry experience required. Piano or guitar proficiency preferred.
Position: He is directly responsible to lead and oversee all aspects of the church’s music ministry. He is directly accountable to the Senior Pastor and may serve in the position of an elder in accord with the bylaws.
Primary Responsibilities: Oversee all aspects of music ministry including leading the congregation in weekly corporate worship. Develop and implement a biblical philosophy of music ministry in cooperation with the Sr. Pastor. Recruit, train, and lead the
music ministries team. For more specifics, see number eight, “Specifics Duties” below.
Other Responsibilities: While the majority of time spent will be directly related to the music ministry, some time will be given each week to other ministry responsibilities corresponding to the church’s needs and the individual’s gifting.
Lines of Communication:
With the Pastor: weekly for ministry coordination, input, and personal accountability.
With the Music Ministry Team members: regularly to reinforce the purposes of the
music ministry, give direction, equip them for ministry, communicate information about
upcoming events, and to enlist support and build relationships.
With the Elders: regularly to provide updates, share concerns, and communicate goals.
8. Specific Duties:
Develop a biblical philosophy of music ministry
It will be consistent with our church’s overall philosophy of ministry
It will be developed in close cooperation with the Sr. Pastor and approved by the
It will be communicated to music participants and the entire church body
It will be consistently implemented
- Enlist, train, and oversee ministry team members
- Direct and develop worship bands, choir, orchestra, etc.
Oversee Tech Team (sound, lighting, video, etc.)
- Oversee the ushers and administration of the service
- Shepherd all ministry team members
- Set specific goals and direction
- Goals regarding staff: recruitment, development, morale, etc.
- Goals regarding the ministry: direction, instruction, budget, resources, etc.
- Goals regarding participants: heart for God, character, spiritual disciplines, maturity,
- servant’s attitude, musical skill, etc.
8. Plan all corporate services along with the Senior Pastor and conduct effective rehearsals
9. Develop and plan for a variety of musical groups and events. Assist in developing and providing musical support for the various ministries of the church (student ministries, women’s ministries, etc.)
10. Support church-related activities and encourage that same support from team members and all participants