The Director of Discipleship will oversee all discipleship ministries/staff within the church (adult, youth, children) as well as serve as the primary architect for adult discipleship, life group, and mission opportunities.
General: The Director of Discipleship receives day-to-day direction from the Lead Pastor and general direction from the Lead Team. The Director of Discipleship shall meet regularly with the Lead Pastor for assigned duties. The Director
of Discipleship must contact the Lead Pastor in the event of an unscheduled absence.
DIRECTOR OF DISCIPLESHIP DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help carry out the mission and vision of the church
- Meet regularly with the Lead Pastor
- Supervise the youth and children’s ministry staff (mentor, coach, set performance objectives and goals, hold accountable) and partner with them to develop/implement innovative discipleship opportunities and growth across all ages.
- Design, develop and deploy adult discipleship opportunities including classes and small/life group participation
- Develop and train lay leaders to lead adult discipleship classes and life groups
- Develop and implement a process for connecting attenders into life group community
- As appropriate, select, contribute to or create discipleship curriculum or resources
- Develop and deploy communication strategies that keep the church family informed and inspired about spiritual growth and mission opportunities
- Partner across discipleship teams to identify local, national and global mission opportunities as appropriate across all ages
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally
- Participate in a Life Group
- Keep regular office hours to provide availability to the congregation
- Engage in self-development activities to maintain and increase skills through research, reading, on-the-job experiences, interactions with other pastors and church leaders, seminars, conferences, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or spiritual formation or equivalent professional experience
- Proven track record of successful leadership in the church
- Expertise/experience in staff management, development, and deployment
- Expertise/experience in designing and implementing adult discipleship opportunities and curriculum
- Track record of successful recruiting/equipping/deploying of volunteer teams and lay leaders
- Self starter that is able to work independently under minimal supervision
- Systems thinker, planner, implementer
- Strong communication skills
- Student of lifestyle issues and cultural trends