Bethel Evangelical Free Church
Reports to: Associate Pastor
Position Status: Full time, 40 hours/week
Position Purpose: The primary purpose of the Youth Pastor is to help junior and senior high students “Treasure Christ First” through worship, Biblical instruction, fellowship and service.
Evaluation: The YP will receive a semi-annual evaluation by the Associate Pastor
Compensation: Church employees are paid every two weeks. Salaries are reviewed annually in November before the Annual Meeting.
Personal Traits Required:
- Growing relationship with Christ – demonstrable through reliance on the Holy Spirit, personal Bible study & prayer, repentance, and fasting
- Authenticity, humility and transparency
- Man of conviction
- Resonant joy
- Historical reputation of integrity
- Ability to love and relate to teens
- Ability to love and relate to parents – regardless of parenting & schooling choices
- Well-developed ability to teach the Word at the level where adolescents live
- Organized and able to administrate programs, excel at communication, and oversee logistics
Duties Not Limited to the Following
- Teach the Word of God in a culturally relevant and stimulating way including spending adequate time in preparation and ensure that all activities are aligned with the Word of God and the mission of the church.
- Spiritually shepherd and administrate the entire youth program including recruitment and deployment of lay adult leaders, planning of activities relevant to youth and the mission of the church, oversight of the two junior high and combined high school Sunday
school classes, including the selection of curriculum and selection of teachers for all classes, and the identification and training of student leaders.
- Champion the needs of youth into the mainstream of Bethel programming and stay current and relevant with cultural changes and opportunities.
- Care for the spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being of the students through counsel, support, and help.
- Utilize technology to encourage students’ faith and tap into their creativity for kingdom-building purposes. A working knowledge of the current social media, phone apps, projection software, and other software is necessary.
- Lead worship with the teens or organize others to lead worship.
Youth Pastor Candidate Profile
- Gender: Male
- Biblical Education: some formal required, seminary optional
- Married: Preferred, not mandatory; not divorced
- Age: college graduate- age 35
- Race: No preference
- Experience: Previous youth pastor experience preferred, not required
- Agreement with EFCA doctrinal statement
Spiritual Criteria: A Man of God
- Gifts – teaching, discipleship, discernment, wisdom, encouragement, compassion
- Exhibits the Fruit of the Spirit
- Qualified as Elder – from I Timothy 3 and Titus 1
- Consistent prayer and devotional life
- Proven disciple-maker and leader-maker
- Bold visionary with ability to achieve the vision
- Solid Bible knowledge
- Proven skills at leading students and adults
- Openness to opposing views/conflicting views
- Excellent teaching skills with ability to utilize multiple techniques
- Able to study well and handle the Word
- Practical teacher in the context of youth culture
- Purposeful long term plan to instruct in foundations of Scripture/faith
- Demonstrated passion for youth and their spiritual growth
- Excellent at building relationships with teens
- Bold about the truth, yet merciful in application
- Corrects with compassion and wisdom
- Liaison with and accessible to both parents and students
- Able to apply the Word to lives of students
- Good organizational skills
- Able to recruit and train volunteers - leadership development
- Able to delegate as needed
- Fits well with our current staff
- Able to take direction from the Associate Pastor and Senior Pastor