Church of the Lakes- Job Description
Job Title: Director of Communications
Compensation: $28K-$32K annual
Reporting To: Associate Pastor
Hours: As outlined below
Revision Date: November 12, 2014
Full, Part or Volunteer: Part time 30 hrs/week
Purpose of Position:
The Communications Director is responsible for visioning, planning, scheduling and coordinating all church communications within and outside the church. Duties include overseeing and facilitating church communications through written, verbal and
electronic media while also taking the lead in the development of technological resources, related to communication, for our congregation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the updating and maintaining of the website, (i.e. user-friendly layout, up-beat contemporary look, current & accurate information, sign-ups for events and studies and online giving.)
- Collect and publish monthly online newsletter and weekly email blast for the congregation.
- Develop and publish a professional quality magazine to highlight the faith stories from our congregation.
- Manage and maintain (i.e. which includes daily reviews of entries) a Facebook page.
- Produce all advertising and evangelism tools for Church of the Lakes ministries by communicating regularly with ministry leaders to effectively share information with the congregation and the wider community.
- Oversee and implement communication of events through our outside digital sign.
- Input all data for the bulletin and lead the continuous refinement of the bulletin.
- Provide training for staff and ministry leaders on new communication tools.
- Lead and develop communication tools with latest social media.
- Promote the use of communication technology by our congregation in various capacities (i.e. small group sign-ups, Sunday morning PowerPoint, Parent sign-in of their children, various online tools for communication, etc.)
- Continuous visioning and implementing of new, innovative and cutting- edge communication resources.
- Develop a communication team to assist with overall communication.
- Regularly attend worship services (at least 3 times a month) and share the culture of Church of the Lakes through the various communication avenues.
- Supervise the Assistant to the Communication Director.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor and Senior Pastor.
- Total of 30 hours a week.
- Fixed office hours of a minimum of 20 hours a week, with at least 6 office hours to be spent on Mondays.
- Flexible remaining hours during the week, accomplishing tasks as needed.
- Mandatory attendance at all staff meetings and staff retreats.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or equivalent degree.
- Two years’ work experience in communicating information, news and events preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, organizing and delegation of projects, events and activities.
- Positive attitude and able to build relationships with a multi-generational and diverse congregation.
- Competent in computer hardware and software programs including webpage design, Facebook, Publisher, Photoshop, InDesign, Word, PowerPoint, and photo editing.
- A Christ like spirit of acceptance, warmth and conviction. This includes the need for a consistent devotional life.
- Familiarity with and appreciation for the United Methodist history and theology.
Responsible to the Associate Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Resumes and three references are to be sent to Pastor Micah Holland at
email@example.com by Wednesday, December 3rd 2014.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of Church of the Lakes.