To provide leadership and day to day management for the Human Resources (HR) ministry including the development and oversight of policies, processes and structure needed to support the church staff and leadership in the areas of compensation, performance and people development, recruitment, training, staff relations, benefits and communication.
POSITION FOCUS: Ministry Services- Human Resources
Part-time (25 hours/week) or Full-time (50 hours)
Reports to: Executive Director of Development
Supervises: Human Resources Coordinator; Human Resources Assistant (PT)
- Familiar with full scope of the ministry programming, ministry services and administrative staff and their respective ministry responsibilities.
- Work with leadership in identifying and incorporating a consistent and comprehensive human resource ministry that supports and resources the staff and leadership in accomplishing the church’s overall mission, vision and values.
- Provide coordination and support of day to day HR functions within the staffing structure of the HR department.
- Offer strategic insight and provide leadership on best practices, people development, and organizational management.
- Lead efforts on recruitment along with staff and culture development.
- Support and model individual spiritual formation, i.e. Worship, Grow and Serve. (weekly worship, prayer, scripture reading; small group, volunteering, etc.).
- Understand, support and be able to articulate the Christ Church of Oak Brook Theological Convictions statement.
- Be or become a member of Christ Church of Oak Brook, or at a minimum regularly attend Christ Church of Oak Brook worship services.
Volunteers and Lay Leadership
- Identify and invest in relationships of people who have a passion for and expertise to share in the human resources ministry area, particularly those focused on leadership and training development and other areas of HR that are not confidential in nature.
- Research, recommend and oversee a more defined people development process (i.e. Myers Briggs, Strengths Finder, Enneagram, Develop.me etc).
- Review and offer recommendations on the performance review process for program and professional staff as well as our administrative and support staff.
- Act as liaison and omnibudsman to program and professional staff including ministry assistants/associates.
- Facilitate conflict resolution when necessary; recommend action to leadership as appropriate.
- Develop an action plan to address the issues and concerns raised in the staff survey.
- Create agenda, attend and assist in facilitating the monthly Board of Trustee Personnel Committee meetings.
- Serve on Personnel sub-committees (i.e. healthcare) needed to address specific HR issues and concerns.
- When needed and requested, attend Executive Team meetings to provide recommendations, insight and leadership on various HR matters and concerns.
- Keep abreast of changing legislation and laws affecting church HR. Consult with church legal counsel on matters needing expert advice.
Compensation and Benefits
- Oversee and analyze annually an internal and multiple external compensation comparison studies; make appropriate recommendations to leadership on band adjustments/changes in pay and other relevant compensation matters.
- Ensure CCOB benchmarking is in line with its philosophy of pay.
- Analyze annually healthcare and other benefit options and offerings and make recommendation to leadership.
- Continue to research best practices on compensation and benefits to ensure we remain competitive in the “marketplace” while at the same time maintain sound stewardship of our resources.
Recruitment and Organizational Management
- Search for and recruit both program and professional staff including ministry administrative support positions as identified.
- Continue developing relationships and sources of staffing.
- Make recommendations of staffing options and structures to maximize staff gifting with ministry needs.
Administration and Communication
- Prepare or review communication for human resources, CCOB communications and external communications when necessary.
- Provide resourcing, support and guidance to HR staff on day to day HR duties, including payroll and benefit administration, recruitment and staffing , etc.
- Attend staff meetings, as needed, including staff connection days, coordinating team and other regularly scheduled meetings as identified.
- Provide resources, documentation and communication for CCOB leadership as directed.
- Expand CCOB’s network with churches for support and ensuring of best HR practices.
- Administer, analyze and communicate results of staff survey.
- Provide leadership in the coordination of annual All Staff Meeting. Oversee weekly staff breaks, quarterly ministry assistant/associate luncheon gathering, and other events requiring HR input and coordination. Assist in coordinating the social and staff development elements of annual staff retreat.
- Desire to continuously learn and serve others.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Integrity for work habits and results.
- Ability to discern needs and respond appropriately, sensitively and proactively.
- Appreciation for own and other’s giftedness.
- Ongoing desire and effort to grow more Christ-like in character.
- Able to keep high degree of confidentiality.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Approachable and accessible.
Skills and Talents
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a current or recent HR position.
- Know word processing, power point, and other relevant computer application (Word, Microsoft Outlook, Excel).
- Possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Able to multi-task and maintain composure under pressure.
- Begin and end projects within reasonable timeframe.
- Self-starter needing minimal supervision.
- Works well with others and within a team.
- Energized by non-routine assignments.
- Creative, innovative and intuitive.
- Ability to anticipate and identify issues and propose recommended solutions.
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree.
- Experience in office (preferable service related industry) church, or non-profit sector.
- Demonstrated experience supervising staff and working closely with senior leadership.
- Proven success in talent acquisition/recruitment and people development.
- 5-7 years experience working in Human Resources or other personnel related leadership position.
- Financial background, a plus.
Only local candidates need apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the volume of inquiries and applications, we are not able to respond to every application or resume we receive. We will be in contact with you if we are interested in pursuing your application of employment. Thank you for your understanding. Please, no phone calls.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of AdministrationTrinity Evangelical Free Church
- South Bend, Indiana
- October 27
Executive Pastor (#12140)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA South , Texas
- October 27
Finance ManagerNew Life Community Church
- Peoria, Arizona
- October 25
Director of Care Assistant/Celebration of Life CoordinatorCornerstone Fellowship
- Livermore, California
- October 22
Administrative PastorFolsom Foursquare Church
- Folsom, California
- October 18
Christ Church of Oak Brook
We are a non-denominational church that believes in God, the love of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. All are invited to visit any of our worship services, children’s programs on Sunday and during the week, junior and senior high groups, Bible studies, our many adult gatherings, and so much more. More...